High School Coach Accused Of Using Team Players To Get Dates

Troy HennumA high school softball coach has resigned after he was accused of using his team of girls to find him dates. Troy Hennum submitted his resignation to Seattle Public Schools on Friday, officials said, after his dating scavenger hunt was brought to their attention by a woman who said she was targeted for a date.

Kat Aagard, 25, said she was flattered when a group of giggling girls from Roosevelt High School came into the sporting goods store where she works.

"They asked me if they could get my phone number and picture for their coach," she told ABC News. What Aagard didn't know was that the girls' coach, Hennum, had allegedly sent them out to find him possible dates. "I wasn't sure what to think at first," she said.

More: High School Coach Bryan Craig Resigns After Sex Book Scandal

Aagard shared text messages with ABC News that she said were sent by Hennum. The sender confessed right away to using the female players to help him find dates.

'Right? Genius. Great way to meet a girl. Use my girls. LOL," the sender wrote. Aagard carried on the text conversation for more than an hour, even complimenting him when he said he teaches special education. "He seemed like a nice enough guy for a while," Aagard said. She had a change of heart, she said, after she searched for Hennum online and found articles about his departure from another school in nearby Lake Washington.

The Lake Washington School District reportedly found no cause to discipline Hennum for texting a student in an April 2012 incident, but he was not on staff the next season. "I was completely ... shocked to see something inappropriate happened with this coach before," Aagard said. She decided to report him to the principal of Roosevelt High School.

Aagard told ABC News' Seattle affiliate KOMO-TV that Hennum called her to apologize. "I want to call and, first off, sincerely apologize for any inconvenience myself or the team caused you," he allegedly said in a voicemail. Hennum did not respond to a request from ABC News for comment.

Related Stories

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

thom nickels

I have little or no respect for the woman who reported him. The coach did nothing illegal--he was not dating the high school girls--his worst offense was being slughtly immature, and now this long finger nailed faux Valley Girl speaking BIMBO has ruined his life.

March 13 2013 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thom nickels

So much ado about absolutely nothing! Needless anal retentive "Mother Superior" style drama!

March 13 2013 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeffraines

I agree with "jimbarry"....So what!

March 13 2013 at 11:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vrf19977

Creepoid. I have always believed that men should not coach girls' sports. Period. Men coach boys, women coach girls.

March 13 2013 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
d2a3l8e

At least he wasn`t dating the girls on his team.

March 13 2013 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jimbarry1946

Weird? Yes. A little crazy? Yes. Maybe stupid? Uh. Need to resign or be fired? Come on. And this post is coming from a former teacher, coach, and athletic director.

March 13 2013 at 9:58 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jimbarry1946's comment
Brett

This is a high school coach. It is totally inappropriate behavior to have his team troll for dates for him.

March 13 2013 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
skiyourbunsoff

Much to do about nothing!

March 13 2013 at 9:36 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Tom

this is a guy who made an immature judgement (as we all have ) and he definitely should have been spoken too and perhaps been privately reprimanded but he should not be going through this process of public humiliation and firing UNLESS he has a prior history of bad judgement which is along these same lines and had not learned his lesson.

March 13 2013 at 9:04 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
animal2605

On the flip side of this, many years ago I moved to the state where I now live after a divorce. I didnt know it at the time but the person that would become my wife after that, had a daughter, and she told her mom, thats going to be my new daddy. She told her daughter, Im not going to marry that bum. It happened, and we have been together over 30 years now and I adopted her daughter. So, if either one cant find the right one, maybe you should listen to your kids, they might be right.

March 13 2013 at 7:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
savannahswithgod

There should be no Male coaches over women atheletes.

March 13 2013 at 3:54 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to savannahswithgod's comment
Mr. Mier

By your logic, there should be no female teachers of teenage boys. Look how many are in the news for having sex with them.

March 13 2013 at 9:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply