Unemployment Falls To 7.7% As Employers Are Hiring Again

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
unemployment rate 7.7 percent new jobsBy Christopher S. Rugaber

WASHINGTON -- U.S. employers ramped up hiring in February, adding 236,000 jobs and pushing the unemployment rate down to 7.7 percent from 7.9 percent in January. Stronger hiring shows businesses are confident about the economy, despite higher taxes and government spending cuts.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

The government's February employment report was filled with mostly encouraging details. The unemployment rate is now at its lowest level in four years. Hiring has averaged more than 200,000 per month since November. Wages increased. And the job gains were broad-based, led by the best construction hiring in six years.

One negative detail: Employers added fewer jobs in January than first estimated. Job gains were lowered to 119,000 from an initially reported 157,000. Still, December hiring was a little better than first thought, with 219,000 jobs added instead of 196,000.

Related Stories

AP

Editor

© 2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.

Sacramento Sign

Do You really believe this ? The unemployment rate dropping by .2% just as Obama's favorable rating drops through the floor due to his tax increases on ALL the middle class. The unemployment figure is a SURVEY NOT an actual figure created by any type of math. That's why you almost always see the number lower than reported about a month or two later. This is a JOKE.

March 11 2013 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
COMMON SENSE

More Lies/ America under Obama has become a vast wasteland of lousy part-time jobs with low pay and no benefits. If we had a Republican President, don’t you think the media might be mentioning this? Companies are cutting employee hours to 28 hours a week due to Obamacare cost. We are being lied to about unemployment specifically, and the economy..

March 09 2013 at 7:54 AM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to COMMON SENSE's comment
cpo1514

Obama... created the 1099 nation... free health care for all... ??? U PAY... no workers over 28 hours.. no obligations from employer... Govt shackles forever... gooo Barry>. America,,, the new detroit!!!

March 11 2013 at 9:16 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Wecome Gary!

Another BS Report from the DC Spindoctors............... If you wantt o know about real unemployment, just ask your freinds and neighbors, more like 12-15% minimum.

March 09 2013 at 1:18 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
michelemarie

sorry wrong, unemployment just cut me off along with thousands of others from receiving unemployment. I am in my late fifties and now have to sell my home until that money is gone and then live off of society, there are no jobs out there for me even if i took a huge cut in pay i am over qualified. so those figures are wrong. we are still unemployed and receiving no benefits. sucks. right now we eat greens and beans every night. i voted obama . i lost my home because everhome bank gave me such a hard time for two years i gave up, now i want to sell my home and everhome bank lost my stock and lease. life sucks...

March 09 2013 at 12:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to michelemarie's comment
cpo1514

Time to stand in front of the "peoples house" with a sign/.... hey hey ho ho the Bamster has got to go Yo???

March 11 2013 at 9:17 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
crrunch

Govt , from Obama and backwards as far as the eye can see, have manipulated the numbers for their own purposes. It's nothing new. What would be new is someone who'd tell it like it actually is.

March 09 2013 at 12:12 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
spdy65

And a HP story just yesterday says the real un-employment number could be 20%. I'm sure its higher than 7.7 though

March 09 2013 at 12:10 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
larry

With all the lies coming from the Obama administration it;s hard to believe anything they say. Many people have given up jiob hunting and those numbers are not included in the percentages.

March 08 2013 at 10:40 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
rhk45

Misleading article, trying to show things are happening in a positive way.....NO WAY!

March 08 2013 at 9:58 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Denise

Ohh really.....then how come I am still unemployed after 2 years? Unemployment payments pays nothing. As of February 28,2013 I had to be out of my house I've had since 2004, am living in a hotel and I am now hours away from being on the streets. Not one community agency in my city who says we serve the community and help those in need, will help me! Here I am, someone who use to put in 60 hours a week, easy, craving to work and yet can't find work. Where is the justice? Unemployment rates are climbing not going the other way!

March 08 2013 at 9:34 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
viroman1

Is this another of those sequestration cuts we're supposed to worry about? Wonder if this rate can be cut some more?

March 08 2013 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.