7 In-Demand Skills That Will Get You Hired In 2013

statistics math skillsBy Vivian Giang

People with specific sought-after skills are having an easier time finding jobs. In fact, they're getting snatched up pretty quickly, according to Brian McCullough, founder of ResumeWriting.com.

Below, McCullough shares some critical employability skills that you need to have on your resume right now:

1. Math, statistics or data analysis -- "Your average company is always trying to figure out how to manage their data stream," McCullough tells us. "It seems to be a major trend across all sorts of industries that big business is looking for smart people to help them manage, organize, and tap into that data."

2. Supply chain management and logistics -- McCullough says that these skills are often searched for, because "companies are always looking for ways to cut costs and be more efficient," so if you can "load your resume or [LinkedIn] profile with industry and scenario-specific logistics keywords, you can expect the headhunters and hiring mangers to come to you."

More: Sign Up For AOL Jobs' Newsletter

3. Social media -- If you claim to be an expert in social media, you better have an active presence online and have a good number of followers. "It's more important how active you are," he says. "You can't just be posting tweets, but also be replying to others and joining in on conversations."

4. CRM -- "Customer relationship management platforms have exploded over the last 15 years and are key to operations for almost all industries in the private and even public sector," McCullough says. Keywords showing proficiency with the major platforms - Salesforce and SAP - will be the first things hiring managers search for when looking to fill open sales and marketing positions.

More: Key Skills You Need To Get Hired Right Now

5. Crisis management -- Related keywords to this skill would be risk management, emergency management, public safety, public relations, operations management, and brand management.

6. P&L Responsibility -- General management candidates can stand out if they have "Profit and Loss" or "P&L Responsibility" on their resumes, because these workers are able to "demonstrate direct responsibility for revenue development and cost control," McCullough tells us.

7. Foreign language -- McCullough says that knowing a foreign language is the "most successful keyword on a resume," especially if that language is Mandarin.

"You might be a run-of-the-mill salesperson, but if you have mastery of another language on your resume or LinkedIn profile, you're going to come up in keyword searches more often than you would think."

Whatever skills you have, jobseekers need to think about what hiring managers will search for when creating their resume. For example, recruiters aren't going to search for vague terms like "self starter" or "detail-oriented." Instead, they'll search for the skills that they need in a candidate, so you need to think about your experiences, degree, major, specialties and certifications all as keywords.
You Must Have These Job Skills for 2013

More From Business Insider

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Miami Taylor

I bring my lunch to work, sit at my desk, come to work an hour early yet last hired first to be let go. I have been
In accounting for almost 16 years I have an AAB in business and 6 classes from getting my BS degree yet I can't
Find a job in Atlanta.. I don't takes breaks until it's time Togo home. I'm very serious about work and my education. What am I doing wrong?

March 11 2013 at 8:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marci

My husband is a Master Electrican and needs a job. Are there anybody out there that needs one ?

March 06 2013 at 1:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RMS

Well let's see. I don't speak Spanish, I'm not proficient in Excel, and I'm over 50 years of age. But I do have a college education, 30+ years experience in business, banking, property management, and public relations. Guess I'm screwed.

March 04 2013 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob Prosen

Landing a job in today’s economy requires you to think and act differently. If you’re wed to the traditional way of job-hunting you’re destined to compete with everyone else chasing the same few opportunities.

The most effective way to get the job you want is to think like an employer. Sounds simple but many people don’t appreciate the importance or know how to do it.

Before beginning your search you have to understand why all companies hire. It’s to solve problems and your challenge is to position yourself as the solution. In other words, hiring you allows the company to solve problems faster, better and cheaper than they could without you. Here’s how to start.

Step 1 - Identify your skills and expertise.

Step 2 - Find the companies you want to work for and research them to uncover their problems. Use the Internet, Google alerts, read press releases and speak with current and former employees.

Your ability to uncover your target employers’ problems and position yourself as the solution is what will get you hired.
Here are just a few potential problem areas. Completing projects on time and on budget, improve product quality, improve customer service, increase sales, reduce costs, enhance online marketing, etc.

Step 3 – Identify the hiring manager.

Step 4 – Create a personal marketing plan to get your solutions in the hands of the hiring manager.

Step 5 – Develop a “One-Sheet” resume, to separate you from the crowd, along with a set of compelling cover letters that show your experience solving similar problems.

Step 6 – Follow up is essential to getting an interview. Be persistent but not a pest.

As a former executive with several Fortune companies I know how leaders think. People who have followed this process have gotten hired.

For more information http://bit.ly/YZejCz

Good luck and never give up!

Bob Prosen – CEO
The Prosen Center for Business Advancement
www.mycareeraccelerator.com

P.S. And yes, this works for recent college grads as well.
P.S.S. Market yourself to the companies you want to work for whether or not they have an opening.

March 04 2013 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
krussrn

Plus almost anything healthcare related, especially registered nurses!

March 04 2013 at 7:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
bramsey818

Are there any employers out there that need office help two days a week, either administrative clerical or legal? That is what I'm looking for. (Tuesdays and Wednesdays preferably). All I expect from employer is a decent wage and paid parking. Also, that he or she be a decent person. No tyrants need respond.

March 03 2013 at 8:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bramsey818's comment
war3saw

Lots of luck. School systems are always looking for secretaries. It is more than Tuesdays and Wednesdays, but they do have a lot of time off.

March 03 2013 at 11:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YourFtr

One headhunter asked me once .....we need somebody with 10 years experience in this.....
I had to tell him that it had only been "out" five years....
So; you are never going to find anybody with 10 years experience in that.....! HA!

March 03 2013 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to YourFtr's comment
war3saw

Did you get the job?

March 03 2013 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YourFtr

Re Social Media......
For some jobs; you might want to impress with you ability to stay hidden on-line......

March 03 2013 at 7:45 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
cslinz62

Every job I get now I'm smarter than my boss or supervisor. That sucks. I'm 50 and they're mid 30's idiots. Can't tell them anything....they feel threatened or intimidated by you, they make your job harder on you. PUNKS.

March 03 2013 at 4:51 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to cslinz62's comment
krussrn

I've been in the exact same position. It takes a lot of swallowing of pride to tolerate that attitude everyday!

March 04 2013 at 7:54 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Patricia

Hmm. that positive attitude must have gone a long way toward your advancement.

March 04 2013 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Patricia's comment
Mystingray4

What advancement ? If you are so much 'smarter' than the younger people you work with, why don't you try to learn some new things that you don't know that they may have learned. Its a whole new world out there. I'm older and wiser than some, but willing to help others goes along way.

March 06 2013 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
ed

Really, you need a job? Are you a carpenter? A plumber, mason, painter, mechanic? No,,,,,,,Oh never mind, tradesmen are what I`m looking for, sorry.

March 03 2013 at 4:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply