Zeina Issa

A piece of advice you often hear when it comes to being successful is to do what you love. So, how do you find your passion? Here are some pointers from the team at

February 18 2014 at 8:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I've been in this industry for seven YEARS, gotten raises, became the "go-to" person for various assignments. I've paid out of my own pocket for extra training and seminars, traveled, the whole deal....and the only thing I have to show for it is seething resentment. I guess you could argue that my passion has been cultivated...a passionate hatred for my work! Yes, I know what I'm doing, and yes, I'm good at it. But the hatred for my occupation has grown even stronger. The customers compliment me; the boss compliments me....and I still hate what I do!!

Leverage what? Aside from the boss, I'm the only employee here! This advice would only hold for a large & flexible company.

The only saving grace was: "Ask yourself the following: "Will this job offer me interesting options if I start to become really good at what I do?"". The answer is a resounding HELL NO! At least by knowing this, I can stop fantasizing about killing my customers in the parking lot.

Maybe 'Follow Your Passion' isn't always the best advice, but 'Follow Your Misery and Hope That One Day it Pays Off' certainly isn't any better!

February 14 2014 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David M Harrington

The author of this article is wrong, follow your passion! We can debate if the word passion is defined as a set of skills, proclivity, or God given gifts. Humans are more than what this article processes. Please look to work at what you love.

March 15 2013 at 6:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I just want to play the guitar.

March 05 2013 at 3:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

"Talent" is a dime a dozen. So if you truly do wish to follow your passion it takes ultimate sacrifice. Not half-assing it hoping money finds you. I'm a musician and filmmaker. I'm not rich and famous but I make enough money to pay my bills, take care of my wife and baby and live happily. I'm still striving to get bigger and bigger in this entertainment industry and I dropped out of high school to do it. I knew what I wanted at a young age and never gave up. I highly encourage anyone with an artistic passion who thinks they would be miserable with a boring day job to at least go all out and try. Don't compete against the next...hone your craft and LEARN how to move up the latter. Step By Step.

March 05 2013 at 1:39 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

What a ridiculous article. Clearly the writer has no idea what "passion" is. I can't tell you how many people I've met who are considered the "greatest ever" at whatever day job they have yet happen to want to blow up the building because they hate it so much. What you offer your job is a typical American answer toward everything in life. It's how you train slaves of society. American Cattle. Economy 1st. You 2nd. That should be the title of this lame article.

March 05 2013 at 1:32 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

its no worse than "go to college if you want to get a good job"

March 04 2013 at 11:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

The saying should be "Follow your passion, but be ready to live your occupation, work harder than anybody else and be very creative in how you make money at it"

March 04 2013 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I couldn't agree less! This philosophy is looking at things from a position of weakness. It starts from the belief that you have to seek to fit in to what positions are already out there. This is not what an entrepeneur would do, nor should you.! Yes it is probably true that most people do not have the drive, courage or confidence to stick with something they truly love or desire. But I do unquestionably believe that if I want something badly enough, and refuse to settle for "no", then I will achieve that which I desire. It is the attitude which separates winners from losers. And it is the reason that the majority of wealth in this world is controlled by so few. They are the ones who did not settle for what society suggested!

March 04 2013 at 10:43 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

Every person has their hobbies and one should not confuse work with a hobby. I wanted to be an artist, but my folks forbade it. They said be a nurse, so I became an RN and I love that sort of work, but I'd rather draw and paint, but there's no money in art.
So, my parents were right. Do something that is highly in demand, like Nursing and then on the side, pursue your art. There's not a dime in art. Don't waste your time getting a degree in Fine Arts or Graphic Arts. I have friends who's kids majored in Graphic Arts. Its a joke! They work at McDonald's or Big 5 and that's all that they're ever going to hope for.

March 04 2013 at 9:49 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply