Walmart Workers Walk Out, File 'Unfair Labor Practice' Charges

Walmart Black Friday strike

A handful of Walmart workers in Maryland and Texas walked off the job on Thursday. With the support of the labor group, OUR Walmart, they filed "unfair labor practice" charges with the National Labor Relations Board, accusing the mega-retailer of threats of retaliation. Walmart managers "unlawfully and incorrectly" told workers that walk outs were "illegal and punishable," according to a press release by OUR Walmart.

OUR Walmart organized the historic Black Friday strike of workers. Walmart, notoriously anti-union, has said that the Black Friday strike -- which was scattered across several states -- had no impact and that post-Thanksgiving sales reached new records.

OUR Walmart leader Colby Harris, who walked off his job at a Dallas store on Thursday, claimed in a statement that several Walmart workers told him that last week its managers "started reading a memo to employees stating that their strikes are illegal and if they did not stop taking action against the company they would be punished."

Last month, labor groups had agreed to end their picketing and "confrontational conduct" at Walmart as part of a settlement with the NLRB. But the labor groups had also issued a statement saying that they would continue to push to improve working conditions, The Associated Press reported.

Walmart Strike - Perspectives - Highlights

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

David & Patty

No one is chained to a job since the US outlawed slavery in the 1860's. If you whine about your pay or "conditions", get the hell out of there and get a job somewhere else. Why hang around protesting when you could be making a living somewhere else? To those compaliners who think they should earn more: you don't dictate your wages, go find a job you think you are so good at. If most anyone can do your job, don't expect great pay.

February 12 2013 at 1:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
vieragam

Walmart is a totally UNAmerican company. My family and friends do not even put a toe in Walmart. Other big box retailers need to match walmart prices so everyone will stop going to walmart and shop other places. Especially groceries.

February 12 2013 at 12:41 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
russroute66

i'm pretty sure when you start working at Walmart you're grateful and glad you're working and have a "it's better than nothing attitude" then you realize as the weeks go on all the time and work you put in, that eight dollars an hour or what ever the pay is, is not paying the bills and you begin to realize that it's not worth it and take it out on the customers. Anyone reading this post could you imagine trying to live on $340 a week before taxes. This store is one of the highest retail revenue generators in the world and the employees should be some the highest paid retail workers in the world.

February 12 2013 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

People want jobs not sweatshops staffed by gangsters and hoodlums.

February 12 2013 at 12:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

Bring back the draft because both young female and male managers need to learn respect of older workers.

February 12 2013 at 12:23 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

They allow managers to use their own policy instead of the Walmart policies in their Old Bridge New Jersey store.
I was attacked by two different people there. They hire jail birds and gang toughs that abuse the elderly workers.

February 12 2013 at 12:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Iselin007's comment
vieragam

they do that in FL also.

February 12 2013 at 12:42 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
alasusu

There are a lot of people waiting in line for these "unhappy" employees' jobs. I say quit and let someone else have your job that anyone can do as good as you. You want a better job with more benefits, go back to school and learn a trade or skill set that will pay more.

February 12 2013 at 11:15 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Walmart doesn't care about their employees. That was represented by the comment by the company rep that made the statement to the walmart employee that if she didn't like walmart to go find a job elsewhere! That's Walmart's attitude and is apparently what they teach their management. I worked at Walmart for three and a half years and really enjoyed my job. It was different from construction work but I still had to work and that's what I liked about it. When you stay busy, time passes quick. I busted my rear at my job of which had three of us in the department when I started but only me during the last eight months I was there. During this time, management tried writing me up for poor job performance twice, the first being dropped by the store co-manager because he knew me and how hard I worked. The next and final time, I got tired of constantly feeling like I had to justify my work. Management expected me to do the work of three people because of cutting labor cost of the other two that it takes to get the job done. That's poor management on Walmarts part and they should be repremanded for it. I quit for this reason and they haven't had anyone that could do the workload I did since I left. They run off their best help because they don't care to hear the problem about poor management.

February 12 2013 at 11:08 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jim's comment
Iselin007

They don't even lnow whatgoes on because some of the co managers are crooks that lie and abuse workers for personal gain. Walmart often lets these crooks get away with violating their own policy.

February 12 2013 at 12:19 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
steblawar

If you are working under a contract, walking off the job may be illegal -- if you're not, it isn't illegal. 'Course walking off the job is grounds for termination of employment -- that's not just a "threat", that life. Even in the case of union authorized strikes a business will usually hire replacements to fill in ... but at least they have the advantage of being "all the workers" with experience. In this case, those that walk off the job could simply be replaced. There are protections against threats for trying to organize, but you still have to do the job while you're at it.

February 12 2013 at 10:57 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
rippoliti112

My rsponse to frankdlu . .. .come on Frank! Don't you realize that when you treat your employess like Walmart does, that you have disgruntled and unhappy employees. That's why they don't care how they, the employees, treat people and render lousy service. If the treatment of the employees was more than stellar, they would be happy to give great customer service, not mediocre, miserableness. Remember one thing, successful companies are successful because they treat their employees they way they would want to be treated!!!!! ENOUGH SAID!!!!

February 12 2013 at 10:52 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply