Oprah's OWN Hit With Sex And Pregnancy Discrimination Lawsuit

Pregnancy discrimination complaints have been soaring in recent years, but still, the sex discrimination lawsuit against Oprah Winfrey's cable network was stunning. Carolyn Hommel, a former senior director of scheduling and acquisitions at OWN, alleges that OWN committed "acts of oppression, fraud or malice," freezing her out of her job and not considering her for a promotion because of her pregnancy, according to the lawsuit filed Friday (via Deadline.com).

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

Hommel says she was hired in 2010 and had a stellar performance review her first year of employment. She alleges the problems began in August 2011, after she informed her boss she was pregnant and went on a two-week medical leave, due to a pregnancy-related health issue, the lawsuit says. When she was out of the office, she says she learned her boss hired a temporary employee. And when Hommel returned to work, she says her responsibilities were gradually taken away from her and she was excluded from meetings, according to the lawsuit. In March 2012, a month after giving birth, Hommel said she was laid off. She applied for a job as vice president and was rejected.

The lawsuit doesn't name Oprah Winfrey as a defendant; the suit is aimed at the network and Hommel's former manager. The Oprah Winfrey Network went live in January 2011. It has struggled to find an audience. The OWN network didn't immediately respond to an AOL Jobs request for comment.

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

AOL Jobs Staff

Staff Compilations

nmatteson64

Oprah.....time for you to go....

February 04 2013 at 12:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Boise Queen

Reply comment for Lisa Smith
I agree with you Lisa. I was once falsely accused of fathering a child
After extensive legal investigation by my attorney's they found I was "improperly" served.
My dad and I both had the same name but I was designated as a Jr, on my birth certificate.
The court determined I was the father by default because I failed to show up for the initial hearing.
I failed to show up because the summons that was served was taken by my mother and put away
"unopened" thinking it was for my dad who was in the hospital ..ill at the time.
I wasn't aware of the summons until after the hearing date when i went through my dads mail.
Lawyers instructed me not to comply with payment ,even under threat of incarceration.
I complied and have been fighting this case since the early 1980's.
Child support doesn't care if your the true dad or not as long as you have a source of income and stand accused on the books. I am prepared to die and rot in prison before I give up one dime for something that I know did not come out of my body!

February 04 2013 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christopher Phiri

Sorry for me to have included this request to the attention of her on the issue of Oprah's OWN Hit. I would very much discus a lot on the issue of adult education especially on the part of sponsorship which most of us are lacking.This one is my major concern cause it has even hindered my progress in my day today life,my school going children,my upkeep,my accomodation and many more.Kindly i would very much appreciate your quick assistance for me to advance and survive with my entire family.

February 04 2013 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DariusW

Actually, Kay is 100% right. Equality and entitlement thinking should never go together in the same conversation. If you truly want to be treated equally, you can't expect special treatment. Its just silly.

February 04 2013 at 8:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anandaone

Sometimes folks are just sorry employees, who happen to be female and get pregnant.

February 04 2013 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Smith

If I struck a nerve with Kay 7484 i'm not sorry! If you are a regular-blue-collar-workingclass female you sometimes have to deal with the choice of what bills to pay and what you can afford at the grocery store! All the while you have to do this without any child support payments. If you want child support you have to go to to your local DCF agency. After which they lead you through a process that is totally nightmarish,dehumanizing and convoluted. Oh just wait till some of their employees want you to accuse a random sex partner as the father just so they can crank any info they can into their system. They don,t give a **** if they charge the child's real father or not just so long as they generat revenue for their jurisdiction!!!!

February 04 2013 at 7:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kpi1080257

Kay7484 while I might agree with some of your statements... Equality and a women keeping her legs closed are two comments that should never go together. You sound very angry towards women. it appears you may have had a bad experience in the workplace and now your angry with women. As a woman I can tell you for certain that we don't want everything for nothing. It's seems your anger is misplaced.

February 04 2013 at 3:48 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
nick

Sounds like another self entitled crybaby who thinks they have it bad.

February 04 2013 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay7484

I am going to be hated for this comment, but the elephant in the room must be illuminated and acknowledged. Men and Women are equal, right? Then, if women want to continue to achieve equal status in the workplace, they should decide to fully commit to their craft. Any action that affects job performance is deemed inexcusable, such as being "entitled" to special leave time. The Company doesn't care about your life whether you are male or female; they simply want their job done consistently and correctly. Case in point; If women want to be treated equally, then they need to decide if they want to be an employee or a house mom. Because women want everything for nothing, companies don't like to hire them or retain them. Companies don't like to cater to anyone, male or female. It is just the way the employment world works. If you want to be a mommy, stay home. If you want to work, keep your legs closed.. That is equality in the work place. They treat men the same way.. Example: look at Alex Smith and Colin Kaepernick, the two quarterbacks for the 49ers. One became injured, the other stepped in and remained in after Smith was healthy. Did Smith have grounds to sue? No, it's just how the business works.. Truthfully, women want equality on their terms not true equality; the likes of which they currently possess.

February 03 2013 at 11:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bevy

Excuse my grammatical errors. oops!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 03 2013 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.