Pastor Refuses To Pay Tip -- And Receipt Goes Viral [UPDATE]

Employees have on occasion been guilty of doctoring receipts to say offensive things. There was the Hooters receipt that referred to two Korean immigrant customers as "Chinx" (they filed suit), the Maryland RadioShack employee who called a customer an "ugly itch" on her receipt, from "ghettohood, usa."

But customers can get creative on receipts too, as with the Applebee's receipt that advised the server to "Stop eating b*tch!" And like the restaurant customer -- purportedly a pastor -- who scratched out the automatic 18 percent gratuity, and scribbled in: "I Give God 10% Why do you get 18," according to a photograph recently posted to the online forum Reddit, and picked up by the Consumerist.

The self-described server who posted the photo said on the Reddit thread that the gratuity was only included because it was a table of 20, and only parties under eight can choose to tip how much they like. "It's in the computer," he writes, "it's not something I do."

UPDATE: After the receipt went viral, Pastor Alois Bell, of the St. Louis-based Truth in the World Deliverance Ministries, reportedly called up the Applebee's and demanded that everyone involved -- from servers to the managers --be fired, reports Gawker. While the entire staff wasn't fired en masse, the waitress who posted the receipt to Reddit was canned.

"I originally posted the note as a lighthearted joke," the woman told The Consumerist. The woman, identified as "Chelsea," said that she wasn't the pastor's server that night -- but she saw the note and took a photo of it. "I did my best to protect the identity of all parties involved. I didn't break any specific guidelines in the company handbook -- I checked," said Chelsea, who earns $3.50 an hour. With tips, she said, she usually earns less than $9 per hour.

For her part, Bell regretted leaving the note on the bill, calling it "a lapse in my character and judgment" that was "blown out of proportion."

More: The Rich Less Likely To Support Raising The Minimum Wage

The receipt was for $34.93, although the full table's bill came to over $200, according to the server. The receipts shows the automatic tip of $6.29 as scratched out, and $34.93 entered as the total, along with the word "Pastor."

Christians are in fact more likely to tip badly than diners with no religious affiliation, according to a study on the subject by Michael Lynn of Cornell University. While Christians gave an average of 17.3 percent for good service, a significant minority -- 13 percent -- left less than 15 percent gratuity for good service, which is double the percentage of unaffiliated diners who tip in that range and six times the percentage of Jewish diners who do the same.

Several servers have reported receiving a $10 bill as a tip, only to find it's phony, with the words "SOME THINGS ARE BETTER THAN MONEY" written on the back, "like your eternal salvation, that was brought and paid for by Jesus going to the cross."

Some Christian leaders have even spoken out on the issue, such as Daniel Readle, a pastor at a Baptist church in Cleveland. As he wrote on his blog: "By leaving tracts and not tips, that person is saying to their waiter or waitress, 'You are not a person, but rather just a notch on my belt of evangelistic pride.' "

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story mistakenly said that a message on an Applebee's receipt was directed at a customer from a server. The message saying "Stop eating b*tch!" was reportedly written by a customer and directed at a server.

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Danielle

Servers don't "want" a percentage, they DESERVE a percentage. It's the policy of restaurants to pay their waiters a shitty amount, make them work their asses off, then force them to tip out bartenders who usually don't even care to do things quickly, as it's not THEIR tips on the line. I believe if a restaurant wants to pay its servers 3.50-5.50 an hour (which comes out to 50 cents in a paycheck due to taxes on ALL tips and salary) and have its employees paid in tips, there should be a MANDATORY GRATUITY of 15% at least on all checks regardless of party size. If the restaurant doesn't want to do that they can ensure their employees make money by paying them more. And if they DO do it, it's up to the customer to decide whether they want to eat there. People not tipping makes me sick.

September 11 2013 at 9:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonja

Responging to Rowly Group

I agree what this Man Said About some Pastors not putting all in one Pot.
The Are Nothing more to me as Crooks or Hastlers.
The Stestem let them get away with Stealing from the Poor Uneducated People who believing in those Scumbacks the need to be put there Ass In the Slammer from Carning those poor old Souls from their last Penny, shame on them.
ps. I have no Respect for all that boshit, therefore I wouldn't send a Penny ever to none of any places, but instead taking in stray cats, homeless spay+ have them neutered feed my Birds + Squirrles, thats where my extra money goes + Enjoy having my Pals right in my front + backyard.
Animals are through in their soul, not out to sheat you , but instead giving you a lot of inner Peace + enjoyment just for a few Nuts. Not Asking For A big fett Diaman Ring like quiet a few Pastor showing and Flaunting around to those poor Souls.
Shame on you , god will take care of your misebole Ass on your Dead bed one day. Trust me on that.
sincerly Sonja Dendy. peace.

June 29 2013 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonja

This is quiet a hot tempered storie concerning as Always about Money?
In my opinion, I strongly believe since I was A Waitress in the late seventys , people have the right to Tip as good as their services was.
has nothing to do, how much work was involed, but instead made that Person feel like a Queen or in our Restarant like King the Lion.
I myself was tipped very well,not Always because I enjoyed my job, but somethimes people just either dont like you , for what ever Reason, in my case Iam; German with an Thick Accent, not so much at this time it also faded some away after fourty years, who knows why People Act the way the do, God Only knows.
ps. As long as you done your Best, dont worry who didtn;t tip you well on the End it All Works Out.
Enjoy your work and if not happy what you doing go to College and get a Nursing Degree and you will be rewarded by helping People who Appreciate your Kindly Services.
Sincerly Sonja Dendy.

June 29 2013 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dave

That a load of bull. I am a Christian and I constantly leave 25-30% tips.. Talk about stereotyping people.

June 24 2013 at 3:36 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
David

point being is, The government wants, 35%
The state wants 20%
servers want 18%
And God wants 10%
It is a persons own right to tip anyway,
Our society has come to a place were people want to reach in others pockets and give to those that want to sit on there butts,
Mean while these folks that are telling others how to live there lives, are stealing from there jobs, cheating on the taxes and there spouse, texting while driving, and telling people how to live there lives, voting for people that are lying to there face, they themselves owe so many favors by the time they get in office, than they lie and cheat themselves, And you wonder why this planet is in the shape its in

May 29 2013 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richard

As a member of the Gideons, Intl. I often leave a New Testament along with a tip. In that case, I always round off to 20%, then pray for the server.
On the other hand, a tip is to reward better than average, or better than expected, service. In many cases however, the server does not have the last word in service, but is dependent on the kitchen crew and even the hostess.
If one really objects, go to a place wherein tips and not expected.

May 28 2013 at 2:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
califhotboy

Why God is being brought into this issue? HOW AOL IS EVEN PUTTING IN WRITTING THAT CHRISTIANS ARE CHEAP. This is how I tip. If my bill is $100.00 + 8.25% tax $8.25tax= $108.25 I give the waiter the tax x's 2 so will leave a tip of $16.50 for the hour of their help. If I receive bad service then they get $8.25. People are either dumb or plain ass ignorant. Waiters do not make regular wages. If they work at those places is to make tips.

May 28 2013 at 2:07 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Ductape

If the pastor wants to give 10% to his imaginary friend who doesn't eat and live in space, I'm happy for him. But to deny a person living, working, and struggling the normal compensation for his labor, goes against common decency and that imaginary friend's book. "The laborer is worthy of his wages." 1 Tim 5:17-18

May 28 2013 at 12:21 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
kay

the pastor is an idiot pure and simple when he stands in that pull pitt and delivers that so call god givin word he s gonna pass the plate and let you be under your 10% and 15% if you are late with tides see you you dont get a mess hes cheap and yes i ben avictim of that fake 10 dollar bill and i got mad and gave it back its cruel when you work to this way to pay your bills and other people look down on you because they think your too stupid to get a better job and i m sorry but there are peoplelike this pastor who think they have a servant for 20 mins NO YOU HOLY ASS ITS SERVER AND YES WE EXPECT A TIP FOIR THE EXCELLANT SERVICE YOUR RUDE BEHIND GOT FROM US

May 28 2013 at 12:14 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to kay's comment
cdt1432

Learn to spell and you may get more tips.

June 19 2013 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johnny D.

ONCE AGAIN>>>>Show me the book/manjal/printout, etc on the proper tipping procedure..I'm at a loss for knowledge in this matter..Why don't the ineffetiant waiters demand 50% or more?? Once again I say, if they don't like their job>>>>QUIT!!!!! <<<<< No one is holding a gun to their heads forcing them to be waiters..You send me a book on tipping and I'll be glad to read the reason I have to give them a tip, and if I feel its a justifiable reason, I'll leave 10%..THATS IT!!!! Most waiters are worthless pc's of society garbage anyway, whom cant get a decent job...should have payed attention in school...Nuff said...and Its shacebotbaru@aol.com if you have anything intelligent to proclaim...thank you..have a wonderful life...

May 28 2013 at 12:05 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Johnny D.'s comment
wpianoman99

Dude, you are big a** cheapskate! I have a better idea, how about we have all restaurants refuse to serve you until you stop mistreating servers. I was a Restaurant Manager for many years and I know how hard these people work for their money only to have some slime wad of a customer sit at their table for 2 hours, ask for everything under the sun-twice, run them ragged back and forth, and leave the table looking like war relic, and then find out that they either leave a dollar or two or NOTHING on the table. If you are so cheap that you can't reward people for good service, keep your sorry butt home and doe them all a favor......IGNORANT JERK!

May 28 2013 at 12:29 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
kelliverbbeccabf

How dare you say that waiters are "worthless pc's of society" ... Doesnt the bible teach you not to judge.. OH! you prolly have your head stuck in a bible too long to realize that 10% tip you just left is not helping the single mother working 2 job just to support her family...(isnt that in the bible too... doing whatever you can to suport the family YOU made... When the guy who gave you the family ran off??) How dare you not know anything about someone and judge them. I hope next time you go to the resturant you get 10% service.... because thats what you tip!!!

June 19 2013 at 8:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply