The Real Cost Of A Bad Boss [Video]

The cost of a bad boss

From the vitriolic Gordon Ramsay to the politically incorrect jester David Brent, the bad boss is a cherished trope of our culture. It's also a detested trope of many Americans' lives.

A video from the website Online MBA breaks down the real cost of bad bosses, with helpful illustrations and twinkly background music. Some of the video's disturbing stats:
  • 3 out of 4 working Americans say their boss is their most stressful part of their jobs.
  • 44 percent say they've been verbally, emotional or physically abused by a supervisor.
  • 31 percent say their boss doesn't appreciate them.
  • These bad working relationships cost the economy $360 billion a year, according to the video.

Watch the full video below:

Filed under: Bosses, Employment News

Claire Gordon

Staff Writer

Claire Gordon has contributed to Slate's DoubleX, the Huffington Post, and the book Prisons: Current Controversies. While an undergraduate at Yale University and a research fellow at Yale graduate school, she spoke on panels at Yale and Cornell, and reported from Cairo, Tokyo, and Berlin.

Follow Claire on Twitter. Email Claire at claire.gordon@teamaol.com. Add Claire to your Google+ circles.

Mike Larsen

Great story Claire. You might also find this video for 'Australia's Worst Boss' entertaining too. A cautionary tale :)

January 25 2013 at 8:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lu Ann

I too worked for a Bad Boss. Verbally abusive, micro managing, fist shaking in your face, and jerking me around which only hampered my efficiency , stress level. I was even introduced to customers and our sales staff as the "Queen "B". But yet the bad boss is still there, & guess who is not?

January 24 2013 at 9:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
oakspondman

Oh how true this is. If they would only wake up and see what it cost them to have one bad boss in the office. You can have a whole unit get fed up and they will and do make the boss and the company pay for it. I know first hand what a SOB of a boss can be like to try to work for, and also what its like to work for a good boss. That good boss not only got fantastic high quality work done for her, she also got the respect of all that did work for her. Too bad she had a SOB of a boss. We did our best to work with her and make her a shining star.

January 24 2013 at 9:22 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Michele

This is far too true... HR will not stand behind the little people, they listen instead to the Boss or Supervisor who lie big time and get away with it and then you find yourself without a job.

January 24 2013 at 7:04 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
srmr0319

There is a culture of lack of respect for workers in America. In my 40 plus years in the labor force, I myself have been verbally and emotionally abused by a supervisor on more than one occassion. The verbal abuse often included the F word and other 4 letter expletives. For those who think I am whining, I have witnesses even worse abuse in co-workers, including plenty of sexual harassment of women. As far as physical abuse, not a chance; I would have definitely clocked the bastard. The biggest tragedy in all this was that, on every occassion of verbally and emotional abused by a supervisor I have seen on myself and others, complains to management and human resources have either been ignored or have brought retaliation. I saw an entire department quit once, and nothing was done. The cost of recruiting and retraining staff, and of hiring temporary workers and part-time staff is often staggering, not to mention the damage it does to a company when staff is continually turning over.

January 24 2013 at 6:20 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
alfredschrader

Most of the places I have worked, the actual work was the same as anywhere, but the boss was a jerk/idiot.
Oh, he knew he was a jerk, and paid me more so I wouldn't quit. I've made a lot of money off of jerk bosses.
Plus, as a bonus they give you a lot of leverage. Why ? Everybody in the place knows your boss is a jerk. So, when any issue comes up, I'd say " I'll go and get my boss and see what he thinks", and immediately everybody says," no it's ok, we'll do it your way."

January 24 2013 at 6:10 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
oneshot5555

CEOs don't care. They just want to make their bank, fleece the company, get a bonus then leave with a golden parachute.

January 24 2013 at 12:57 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.