Why You Should Stop Looking For A Full-Time Job

work part-time jobs

By Melanie Fischer

Have you been looking for a full-time job but only been able to find part-time positions? Earning money through part-time work is better than not earning money at all, but it's not always optimal.

Maybe you've been thinking about trying to get two or more part-time jobs to earn the same amount of money you'd earn with one full-time gig. But beware: This can be more difficult than you might think.

Here are some pros and cons that you need to think about when it comes to part-time work:

Pro: Part-time job hours can be flexible.
It may be that you're only able to work during morning hours or on weekends. In this type of situation, you may be able to find one part-time job to fill your morning hours and another part-time job on Saturdays or Sundays. Most full-time positions don't offer this type of flexibility, so working one or more part-time jobs may provide you with the work-life balance you need and want.

Con: Extra commuting.
One aspect of a 40-hour-a-week job is that you normally go to your job at a specific time of day, stay there for eight hours and then go home at the end of your shift. With two or more part-time jobs, it's likely you'll spend a considerable amount of time commuting from one to the other (unless you work from home). The time it takes to get to and from numerous part-time jobs can significantly extend your workday.

More: Top 10 Companies Hiring Part-Time Workers This Week

Pro: If something happens to one job, you still have the other.
You may have greater job security if you have two or more part-time jobs instead of one that's full-time. If you work several part-time positions and you lose one of them, you will still retain a portion of your income while you look for a replacement for the other.

Con: Switching gears.
Besides the extra time it takes to get from one part-time job to another each day, working more than one part-time job in different industries can be hard on your body and brain. It can also be difficult to concentrate on one job while thinking about the other.

Pro: Gaining broad professional experience.
Don't be discouraged if you're working one or more part-time jobs to make ends meet while searching for a full-time position. You can absolutely succeed professionally by working this way. One benefit of working several part-time jobs is that they will expand your professional skill set. Additionally, you may be able to use multiple part-time jobs as leverage against each other if any of the employers eventually offers you a full-time position.

Melanie Fischer is a writer for AllStarJobs.com, a website that contains more than 1,000 career descriptions and profiles, career-related articles and a job board that lists thousands of current positions open across the United States.

More From Brazen Life

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Brazen Life

Editor

Brazen powers real-time, online events for leading organizations around the world. Our lifestyle and career blog, Brazen Life, offers fun and edgy ideas for ambitious professionals navigating the changing world of work.

njenel

ha ha, these creeps who hire part time keep changing your hours, you couldn't get another part time job if you could find one! 12 hours a week @ minimum wage great ain't it ?? as far as i;m concerned the government is part of the problem, they could stop this in an instant if they wanted to. this country is like a locomotive at full steam, running downhill. wont be long now!!

January 22 2013 at 7:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lifehub

Part-time jobs, as are full-time, are few and far between in this comatose economy. AOL is attempting to lull people into deception and a false sense of security.

January 22 2013 at 5:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rona

I laways had 2 jobs after my divorce. I had a good support from friends becuase my family did not live in the same city or state I lived in and country. full time and a part time. I was lucky because my pt time was always in walking distance from where I lived. It was only until the last 5 years I realize to put all the money I made pt time into my savings and live a frugal life (which I really enjoy) I don't want to rely on my 401 k to lived off on. I want to have options just in case I decided to join my family overseas. Everyone of us has different agenda and how they lived their life will effect how they will retire and what is important to them.

January 22 2013 at 4:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TOM & CATHERINE

Pick a Direct sales company and hold home parties and fundraisers. There are now literally 100's of companies to chose from. Find a product line you love and a generous compensation plan. The hours are flexible but not optional. People who understand this do very well financially. You can make $100-$150 per party and that's for about 4 hours of work! I've been in direct sales/party plan for over 32 years.
Catherine Alton
Celebrating Home

January 22 2013 at 1:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
david68574

All of the problems of this great country were caused by Dubya, and the Republican Great Recession. When the republicans destroyed this country in the late 1920's and sent us into the Republican Great Depression, it took well over 10 years, and a World War, for us to climb out of it.
And these idiot teabaggers think that the libs can fix their latest mess in just 4 years? After all the damage they did? Hahaha! After Dubya, we'll be lucky if we can fix our economy at all. Thanks republicans and baggers, for destroying this once great country.

January 22 2013 at 12:47 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
mtman233

The wagon is getting slower and slower, to many of the 1%er are abandoned the tongue and attempting to jump on the wagon. Don't let them on obama, put the rawhide to there back side I know they have a little left.

January 21 2013 at 8:44 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
ppaonessa190

Yeah....stop looking so you won't get counted as unemployed and if you take 2 part time jobs, obama can count it as two NEW jobs he created! My flag is flying upside down in my front yard right now!

January 21 2013 at 8:18 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Mike Olenick

I like how everyone blames Obama for the economy when it was in the crapper long before he got in office. If anybody remembers he said he was going to fix the economy when elected the 1st time. It wouldn't need fixed if it was good, now would it. And how about Bush's $4.50 a gallon gas. It's also not Obama's fault that companies are going d-bag over something he started to help people without healthcare. I got an idea, let's get another of the Bush's in office, that'll fix everything

January 21 2013 at 7:28 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
5 replies to Mike Olenick's comment
robrtl

do you suggest going on welfare

January 21 2013 at 5:53 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
KURT

I run an Electrical Contracting business. Part time workers are becoming more attractive. We have always treated our employees GREAT! Most with us over 8 years. We offer 1/2 payment of employees health benefit, week vacation and 6 holidays paid. With the ObamaCare, If we are forced to pay full health and include families?, well, it would be time to join thousands of small buisinesses with the part time mind set. (Our taxes already rose! That is money I could have spent to expand. Just think of the million dollar business that wants to build another office, but now has to give the revenue to Gov't instead of re-investing to grow the economy

January 21 2013 at 3:37 PM Report abuse +9 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to KURT's comment

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 13 - April 20

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.