Want Your Old Job Back? How To Get Rehired Without Groveling

get rehired in old job

By Susan Ricker

People leave jobs for a variety of reasons: They find better opportunities, they're offered higher salaries or they get fired or laid off, to name a few. But what if a job seeker wants to go back to a former employer? While it may seem out of reach, there are benefits to considering a previous place of work, such as already understanding the company culture and how the business functions.

If you're not sure where to look next in your job search, a look back at a past company may be the answer. Here's how to get rehired by a former employer:

1. Consider why and how you left before asking if you want to return.

If you're considering a former employer for a job, will your old boss be interested in hearing from you? "The answer is, it depends on who you are -- [your] skills, capabilities, etc. -- and the manner in which you left," says Mitchell D. Weiss, adjunct professor of finance at the University of Hartford and author of Life Happens: A Practical Guide to Personal Finance From College to Career.

"I've owned and run commercial-finance companies, and I've served as an executive officer at several banks," Weiss says. "I've also hired back former employees. Not only were the folks we rehired competent and productive employees while they were on board the first time, but they also conducted themselves honorably and responsibly on the way out -- they transitioned their responsibilities, cleaned up outstanding issues and made themselves available for follow-up questions. In contrast, those who attempted to leverage the offer they had in hand for a counteroffer that beat it were invited to leave -- the sooner, the better."

More: The Art Of Setting Realistic Career Goals

2. Proceed with professionalism and keep an open mind.

If you're convinced that you should rejoin your old team, where should you start? "You will need to reconnect with former co-workers and bosses to let them know that you are interested in coming back," says Cheryl E. Palmer, career coach and owner of Call to Career. "It's a good idea to start by putting out feelers to see if there are any positions that open that you would be qualified for. You can also take a former co-worker out to lunch to re-establish the relationship."

Palmer also suggests setting up a networking meeting with a former boss to see how open the company would be to your return. "In addition, you can join any alumni groups that the company has on LinkedIn to reconnect with people in the organization."

More: New Year's Career Resolutions: 11 Worth Making -- And Keeping

3. Offer proof they'll be better off with you on the team.

Whether or not you think a company will want to take you back, it will likely come down to what makes good business sense. "Regarding how to return to your old company and why they would be willing to take you back, it is actually a very simple proposition, and it doesn't matter how ugly the separation may have been," says Roy Cohen, career coach and author of The Wall Street Professional's Survival Guide.

"Offer a solution to a problem that no one else has solved and one which is both visible and important to the company," Cohen says. "You have an advantage. Having worked there once before, you know their needs and challenges as well as what resources may or may not be available. In a world where companies and bosses are struggling for answers, imagine the relief to be delivered one with few, if any, strings attached. An even better option -- show them how you will generate immediate guaranteed revenue and that you will do so legally and without creating conflict with your former colleagues. This is a crowd pleaser. It will get you rehired."

Returning to a former employer is possible. It can be a good business decision for the company and a smart career move for you if you can prove that the relationship will be beneficial for everyone.

Susan Ricker is a writer and blogger for CareerBuilder.com and its job blog, The Work Buzz. She researches and writes about job search strategy, career management, hiring trends and workplace issues.

Baby Boomer Careers: How to Bounce Back Into the Job Market

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Natalina Carolina

friends.
I would like to share my testimony, I want you all to understand that there is no problem without solution. You have to sometime give a chance to what other think is not real and see what happen at end. There was a very great man who can make change of your life problem, his very great and well spiritual powerful man, he can cast any kinds of problem you found your self. The man is from Africa and well know is spiritual powerful man, the testimony was share in my website and i decide to share my problem with him about my ex-husband and my job.In week time my ex-husband called me on the phone and was saying sorry for living me before now and also in the next one week after my love called me to be pleading for forgiveness,I was called for an interview in my desired company were i needed to work as the managing director..I am so happy and overwhelmed I don't really believe that from any body. I share this testimony to each of everyone of you that believe that, any problem can solve. You can contact him if you need any help from him through via email: dr.okuzu1solutiontemple@gmail.com
Contact number: +2347038912439
friends you have to make a move that will change your,life,your home and
your world for ever.you call him on this number *+2347038912439*
(such as)spiritual problem//get your job back//get your divorces back//get
your breaking marriage back//general love//get spell multiple favor.with no
side effect.stop dieing in silent. who hear can also shear the testimony to other people of the world about the great spiritual caster. Him said no problem without solution.

June 07 2014 at 2:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natalina Carolina

friends.
I would like to share my testimony,my name is Gilbert Monika, I want you all to understand that there is no problem without solution. You have to sometime give a chance to what other think is not real and see what happen at end. There was a very great man who can make change of your life problem, his very great and well spiritual powerful man, he can cast any kinds of problem you found your self. The man is from Africa and well know is spiritual powerful man, the testimony was share in my website and i decide to share my problem with him about my ex-husband and my job.In week time my ex-husband called me on the phone and was saying sorry for living me before now and also in the next one week after my love called me to be pleading for forgiveness,I was called for an interview in my desired company were i needed to work as the managing director..I am so happy and overwhelmed I don't really believe that from any body. I share this testimony to each of everyone of you that believe that, any problem can solve. You can contact him if you need any help from him through via email: dr.okuzu1solutiontemple@gmail.com
Contact number: +2347038912439
friends you have to make a move that will change your,life,your home and
your world for ever.you call him on this number *+2347038912439*
(such as)spiritual problem//get your job back//get your divorces back//get
your breaking marriage back//general love//get spell multiple favor.with no

June 07 2014 at 2:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
osas

PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME TO READ MY SHORT TESTIMONY WHICH CAN BE USEFULL TO YOU OR A PERSON NEAR YOU
My name is Joy, i was married to Hiro jack at first will both love each other but short time he started a new behavior which i cannot even explain to any one then i keep it to my self hoping one day he will change for good, no way he did not change. and latter he finnaly left me and our 2 kids to suffer in pain. i was in pains for 8 months not knowing what to do untill one weekend i was going through the internet and i saw different testimonies about a particular man called DR ZAZI and they droped his email at the end of their testimonies. I do nlot really believe in spiritual powers but i decided to give this man a trial. I contacted this man through his email: drzazisolutiontemple@gmail.com. This great man told m,e not to worry that he would help me and trully he did.. He worked for me and 48 hours latter my husband came back home appologising for ever treating me bad. And we both lived happily and my husband even loved me more than he ever did.. thanks to Dr Zazi he is really a great man.. I will continue to speak of his good works for me and my family.
Dr Zazi told me that i can also contact him for solutions on the following problems:
(1) You want your ex back
(2) you want your your husband / wife to love you and you alone
(3) Childlessness
(4) Do you want to be promoted in your office
(5) Cure for any kind of disease... And many other problems
Contact Dr ZaZi today and you will be glad you did.. Email: drzazisolutiontemple@gmail.com
THANKS FOR YOUR TIME....

March 23 2014 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DR ODUDU BRING BACK

THIS is how i got my lover back in just 24hour, my name is vanisher from Australia we both were have am affair that lend to engagement of ring before i knew it my best friend that i introduce my fiance to went behind me and started dating my lover with that my fiance put a stop and delay to our weeding, i never knew it was my better friend that i tell her every thing she the person putting obstacle on my marriage in a matter of time my fiance called me and said he can not continuing with the marriage and the reason is best know to him.i as him what are the reason he never bother to tell me and he stop picking my calls and replying my sms, i was depress in just one month when i was browsing on my online i saw some great testimony about Dr odudu how he bring back people lover and restored all that have lost in just 24hour, that is how i contact ODUDUSPELL@GMAIL.COM OR CALL +2348051913076 to my greatest surprise after the casting of the spell my fiance called me immediately and run down to my house and start begging me for all he has done to me and how my best friend came and seduce he and how he used charm on him he confess all to me that he very sorry that i should accept him back to my life i was so surprise that my best friend could do this to me. with the power of Dr odudu every thing came back to me in just 24hour, people in the world beware of friends if not for Dr odudu i would that lost my lover forever thank for Dr odudu for every thing contact him on ODUDUSPELL2GMAIL.COM OR CALL +2348051913076 that is how my fiance come back to me in the following weeks we get married and become husband and wife all with the help of Dr odudu contact him now if you want all your problem to be solve.
CONTACT EMAIL; ODUDUSPELL@GMAIL.COM
PHONE NUMBER; +2348051913076

December 21 2013 at 4:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DR ODUDU BRING BACK

if not for Dr odudu i would that be a childless person but with the help of Dr odudu every thing was restore back to me and i make my husband a happpiest man on earth all with the help of the great man called Dr odudu contatct him him now if you are having any problem with not being able to conceive or bear a child dr odudu is the answer contact him on EMAIL; ODUDUSPELL@GMAIL.COM
PHONE NUMBER; +2348051913076

December 21 2013 at 4:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
annonymous

I am Emeli from Canada and i want to disclose to the world about the great man that was able to help me get my job back within 72 hours. I lost my job for over a month after facing so much frustration i decided to search the internet for some help then i came in contact of Dr.Zabaza contact details and through the help of Dr.Zabaza i got my job back and within 3 weeks i was promoted in my office. If you lost your job and you want to get it back contact Dr.Zabaza at: zabaza.logan@yahoo.com or call him on +2348182620374.

October 28 2013 at 2:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mary

i want to thank Dr Otue for the love spell he cast for me that brought my ex boyfriend back to me within 2days. and also i want to thank all the client of his that he has helped that shared the good testimonies i saw about him that made me to contact him, the love spell Dr Otue did for me was really good it made my ex boyfriend to be committed to me and now he treat me with so much love and respect ever since he came back to me. I want to say Dr Otue is a man to really on because i know he can fix your broken relationship just the way he fixed mine and others of his client, just reach him for help in case you need his help on otuetemple@gmail.com

1) If you want your ex back.
(2) if you always have bad dreams.
(3) You want to be promoted in your office.
(4) If you want a child.
(5) You want to be rich.

you can contact him via email otuetemple@gmail.com

September 05 2013 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply