I've just been hired by a company that wants me to waive right to go to court in case we have a disagreement. I really want the job, but I'm not confortable with signing that clause. What warranties do I have they will pay back wages if they forgot some overtime for example? What protections has the employee in arbitration procedures?

August 14 2014 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

A clever response to the question of why wasn't I choosen for a particular position was "We had another applicant that was more qualified than you and more closely matched what we wanted for that position." You can't argue with that and there is no material for a law suit.

January 05 2013 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

As an owner of a small business, I deal with this politically correct crap every day. There are many reasons that we may not hire a person. We may just not like the way they walk into the room, the clothes they wear, too many tattoos, too many piercings, too much makeup, the sound of their voice, the answers to the quesions during the interview. It's my business and I'll hire whom I choose. We don't discriminate on the basis of color or religion or national origin. But ours is a customer service driven industry and if we don't think you have the face or personality that we want representing us, then we don't hire you.

I loved the one where if we consider whether you have been convicted of a crime and don't hire you, then you may be the victim of discrimination. Too danged bad! Don't become a felon! No matter what color you are! We don't hire felons!

January 04 2013 at 11:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Thomas's comment

And why is that? All felons? No matter what the crime is? Wow - I know some very good and honest people who made horrible choices in their past, learned from them, did the time, paid the fines and moved on. People like you are making it hard for anyone to have a second chance at life. I don't get it. I own my own business too and as long as a crime of money isn't involved I have no problem hiring people with pasts.

May 24 2013 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

thank god I am self employed!!

January 04 2013 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

In my day, they asked the following: Do you have children? Do you plan on having more children? Do you drive? Do you own your a car? If one called in sick, there was one supervisor who would call your home to see if you were there and insist that you get out of bed to answer the call! By the way, this was not a fly by night, it was a very large and well known company!

January 04 2013 at 7:14 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to gmydogbud's comment

Sounds typical of the 60's and 70's right?

January 05 2013 at 12:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

This article is complete BS.

Especially the stuff about, "well if you are not hired due to bad credit, but are a minority, you can file for discrimination"

If you're not hired for bad credit, you are not hired for bad credit. Race has no bearing on someone's credit, so to imply that a minority with bad credit can look into discrimination is STUPID.

I can tell you that you can be denied a job for bad credit too, because it happened to my dad. He was trying to get a job with the FBI and they told him that his credit is exactly why he didn't get the job.

I guess if he was black or Mexican he could have said they discriminated against him. LOL

January 04 2013 at 6:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Any smart business owner will never give you a reason that they didn't hire you - cuts down on the lawsuits. I don't have to tell you why you were not hired. I will tell you the position has been filled and I thank you for applying - have a nice day.

January 04 2013 at 5:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

I heard it is illegal for any employer to ask an employee or potential employee where they live or reside.

January 04 2013 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to specttrain's comment

Why would it be? I see alot of ads that specify people live within 20 miles or whatever, of the business. They might want to have that person they hire to be able to come into the offices after hours at times, they would prefer someone 10 minutes away vs an hour away. In the Phoenix metro area it's not unusual to commute an hour or more to a job. Some of my clients from my firm are an hour or more away. I set appts up between 11 and 3 ONLY! I never take an appt that puts me into rush hour traffic. If an employee lives an hour away that increases the likelihood of traffic jams and accidents.

May 24 2013 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Interesting situation here. You say a company should not ask your age. But if they fly you in for an interview, they have to know your date of birth when they make the flight reservation, or to provide to their travel agency to book the flight. The DOB is now a TSA requirement. So, to comply with federal law, they must break federal and/or state laws.

January 04 2013 at 5:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dmasearch's comment

My resume shows on paper that I am in my early 40's since my college education was done later in life than most. I am in my mid 50s now and I own my own business but when I was still looking for regular work I lost track of the times I had literally 5 minute interviews. The second they saw me (I was 50 at the time I stopped looking for a job) they were like "Ok well thanks for coming in, we'll call you"

May 24 2013 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Part of this article is bullsh*t. I'm a former Marine, college student and because I pay child support to an ex-wife that left me; my credit is affected. Lowes turned me down for God's sake.

January 04 2013 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to timant2007's comment

Unfortunately, it's legal in most states to turn you down for a job due to bad credit. If you're a minority, you may have a discrimination claim. You might want to talk to an employment lawyer in your state.

January 04 2013 at 4:04 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to EmployeeAtty's comment

If you have to sue a company to get a job how long do you think your career will be with them and how comfortable will you be working there?

January 05 2013 at 12:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down