Hot Dog Vendor Clinton Tarver Gets Windfall After Cart Destroyed In Right-To-Work Protests

Hot dog vendor clinton tarver, right-to-work protests

It was supposed to be a protest to advocate workers' rights, but a gathering of union members in Lansing, Mich., last week reportedly resulted in thousands of dollars of damage to equipment belonging to small-business owners, including Clinton Tarver, owner of Clint's Hotdog Cart and Casual Catering.

Tarver says that his cart and supplies were destroyed by "violent" pro-union demonstrators during the rallies against so-called right-to-work legislation in Michigan. The proposal, which bans unions from mandating that workers pay dues, was signed into law on Dec. 11 by Gov. Rick Snyder, despite protests by thousands, including teachers.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

Tarver said that he didn't take a stance on the controversial law -- "I'm not on this side, I'm not on that side, I'm just doing the job," he told Lansing TV station WLNS. He was hired by a conservative group, Americans for Prosperity, to serve hot dogs to supporters inside one of two tents erected on the Capitol lawn, according to a report on the MLive website. Americans for Prosperity was founded by the conservative industrialists, the Koch Brothers, known for their anti-union stances.

Tarver and several of the group's supporters were inside the tent, when protesters began trampling on it and yelling racial slurs, Tarver told another Lansing-area station, WILX-TV. "People standing on my table, smashing it, dumping my chili out on the ground, cheese, sauerkraut," Tarver said. "Throwing the soda and coolers." Hot dogs and buns were ruined, as well, to the the tune of about $400.

After word spread of the damage to Tarver's catering equipment, a Capitol staffer, Lorilea Zabadal, decided to help by setting up an online Support Clint fundraising site, with the goal of raising $2,000 to help Tarver get back up and running. In a matter of days $33,500 had been raised.

More: Unions' Secret Strategy To Win Back Workers

"What happened to Clint absolutely broke my heart, and I thought, 'Hey, someone has to do something about this,' " said Zabadal, a Republican aide to a state representative who set up a page for Tarver on GoFundMe.com. "I never expected this. I never imagined that at all."

Tarver told Fox News on Friday that he was overwhelmed by the generosity. "The public has shown such love to me. You never know your true friends until you get down. ... You learn from your endeavors."

According to Fox News, Tarver won't be selling dogs curbside again until March, when he'll unveil a new hot dog cart, thanks to his new-found fortune.

But given the amount of windfall, he also plans to share the wealth with others.

"I have sick sister, so I'm going to help her out," he said. "And I'm going to help my church, too."

Tarver is grateful to Zabadal -- a friend of Tarver's wife through Facebook -- for her concern, particularly because she's a vegetarian.

"It's really odd that she started this website for me," he told Fox News. "So there's going to be a Lorilea hot dog -- and it'll be vegetarian."

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

David Schepp

Staff Writer

David Schepp has spent more than a dozen years covering business news for the electronic and print media, including Dow Jones Newswires, BBC News, Gannett Co., and most recently at AOL's DailyFinance. Nearly 10 years ago, he started writing a weekly People@Work column, looking in depth at issues facing workers in today's workplace. The syndicated column appeared in newspapers and websites nationwide before it made its debut on DailyFinance in 2010. Schepp now continues that tradition at Aol Jobs, covering the jobs beat and providing readers insight and analysis into the nation's challenging employment scene.

Schepp holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism from Metropolitan State College of Denver.

Follow David on Twitter.
Email David at david.schepp@huffingtonpost.com. Add David to your Google+ circles.

laedbac1

We doubt that this event even too place. Just more anti-Union lies and propaganda. Like listening to Rush Limbachs anti-Union rants. Its all made up and full of spin and lies. God Bless America. Vote Union.

December 20 2012 at 5:47 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
usdrifter69

Sorry , you lost me at Koch brothers. IF and I do mean IF this truley happened (which I doubt) , Please by all means, show me the video ! Let me see on screen those who perpetuated these horriffic acts. With all the media coverage these protests had , not to mention anyone with a cell phone. Tell me where I can watch these dastardly deeds unfold. Youtube ? Twitter ? Facebook maybe ? It was certainly not provided by the video accompanying this story. Nor could I find the WILX report in any of the feeds provided. How about a picture of the carnage ? Nothing ? Really ? Show me something . You are making some severe accusations , So please by all means , back them up ! Are the police investigating these crimes ? Criminal vandalism and rioting are both punishable by law. So where can I locate a police report of this horrible crime ? Do the police have any suspects ? Are these not appropriate questions for any journalist to answer within the context of their story ? Or to prove within the accompanying media they provided ? Since your story answers none of these basic questions necessary for propper journalism.
I would love to feel the outrage you are trying to incite here, if you had only shown some facts to substantiate your claims of these horrible crimes. So this forces me to ask you some questions as well. Do you currently recieve funding or have you ever recieved funding from either the Koch brothers or any of their propaganda groups ? Will you follow this story with one that proves these claims ? Or will this be all we hear of this matter ? Please Mr.David Schepp, prove to everyone that this story is true. Prove that this is not propaganda. The burden of proof is up to you. You are the one who made these claims,so back them up .
I look forward to your follow-up article on this matter.

December 20 2012 at 3:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phil

I hope that the Unions win this and overturn this law so Michigan will stay Union.

That way the auto industry will send more jobs to my state, which is a Right to Work state. Because of the Unions in Michigan, my state now has 4 Auto Manufacturing plants and dozens of parts plants. Because of the Unions in Michigan my state gained over 40,000 jobs, with good salaries and good benefits and, thankfully, NO UNIONS.

So keep it up Unions. Keep fighting to keep Michigan a Union state. My state will be more than happy to take more of your jobs...

December 20 2012 at 12:38 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Phil's comment
laedbac1

America needs more Union support. Not lies and propaganda against Unions.

December 20 2012 at 5:42 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
rudimario

Good!!! Like the evil rightwing said, while they were cramming their lies and illegal wars in Afghanistan and Iraq down America's throat...."You are either with us or against us!!!!", well times are changing, enough of the evil rightwing in the US.....you can see where their predator capitalism got us.

December 20 2012 at 12:24 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
calderasf

Koch brothers of course their behind this. Why do billionaire care about wages? Hmmmmm I guess you can't get to be a billionaire unless you pay your workers nothing.

December 19 2012 at 11:02 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to calderasf's comment
AgDoc

Somehow I can't conceive of a single union member working for "nothing"--in fact, I can't conceive of a single union member working.

December 19 2012 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to AgDoc's comment
laedbac1

Union members and their companys with good management have been shown to be the most productive workers in America. Vote Union.

December 20 2012 at 5:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
montgomerybikerrichards

Unions are for the RICH union leaders, not for the the rank and file. When I see a union leader being paid the average union scale for that union, then I won't bad mouth them. Of course, this will never happen....... :(

December 19 2012 at 10:07 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Kenny

Unions are history!

December 19 2012 at 9:55 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
doyle2104

Your right to bargain for better pay and benifits can not be accomplished unless people stand togather. the people are the union. It is goverened by bylaws that you as a member vote to have. when you advocate a right to work state you are hurting the person you love the most.!!!(YOURSELF)

December 19 2012 at 9:53 PM Report abuse -5 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to doyle2104's comment
Laura

Do these same bylaws include the right to do this kind of activity and to act like thugs? And you wonder why people don't want to be in unions any more!

December 19 2012 at 10:53 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Laura's comment
laedbac1

Actually we have never seen a Union thug. They dont exist except in the minds of those spreading lies and anti-Union propaganda.

December 20 2012 at 5:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down
AgDoc

Funny, but in my entire life I can't think of a single freedom or benefit or pay increase that was given to me by way of union action. But then, I've been a self-employed professional since college and now I'm on active duty with the Army. Can you imagine unions infecting either our professional or military ranks? Yeah, that would really be great, wouldn't it? Collective bargaining by doctors and lawyers? Soldiers and Marines going on strike? Perfect.

December 19 2012 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
doyle2104

Between the people trying to destroy the constituion,Taking away your rights to protect yourself,Taking away your ss benifits,banning you from smoking, getting to fat. It is about time for all of us to find a way to kiss our own ass goodby.No body is going to be around to do it for us. It will be outlawed.

December 19 2012 at 9:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
acharleyhorse

Another example of union thuggery!

December 19 2012 at 9:46 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 27 - Aug 3

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.