Coffee Shop Worker Quits Via Song -- But Was It Fake? [Video]

coffeeshop worker resigns in song

A job for many workers is just a paycheck -- an often dreary way to pay the bills. That may be why so many Americans are keen on (or at least dream of) quitting their jobs in an over-the-top fashion.

There are a number of recent examples of "extreme quitting," including one by Joey DeFrancesco, who video recorded his departure from his hotel job, which included the accompaniment of members of the What Cheer? Brigade brass band. The YouTube video shows DeFrancesco presenting his boss, "Jared," with his resignation letter. The manager responds by ordering the group out of the hotel, before they march off to rousing music.

A more recent instance of extreme quitting aired earlier this month on the "Steve Harvey" show. Phil Sipka quit his job of three years as a barista at the trendy Robust Coffee Lounge in Chicago in October, and delivered his resignation via song -- backed up by a quintet of backup singers known as The Voices.

Whether the stunt was real or not is questionable, according to viewers of the YouTube video (posted below) and commenters on the popular social-media site, Reddit. [Excerpts posted on Reddit that appear here retain their original spelling and grammar.]

"The whole setup reeks of jerkoffery," wrote Reddit contributor GodfartherPart2. "It's a daytime television show segment. The cameras are in the coffee shop before anything begins. The people he's supposedly rebelling against are smiling while he sings and then applaud at the end."

More: Stop Being Miserable At Work: 6 Tips

Another contributor, leif777, offers this critique: "I believe the word your looking for is 'contrived' ... And its the heartbeat of american TV."

Others were less critical. Wrote justguessmyusername, "It's obviously in good fun ... "

Comments posted on YouTube were equally dubious. Commenter amobi25 wrote: "Obviously its fake ... Its just showing you HOW TO QUIT."

Don Halcombe, spokesman for the show, offered some insight to explain why the event seemed staged -- in part because it was. Sipka's colorful resignation didn't surprise his bosses because they were told that the show would be videorecording an event in which Sipka would quit, Halcombe said. "They just didn't know it would involve a Motown-style singing group."

Though Sipka's over-the-top resignation was to a degree staged, it nevertheless remains a mystery as to why he quit so dramatically, since it seems that he didn't hate his job. Among Sipka's lyrics in the song are these (via Lybio.net):

I am quitting this job today hey hey hey I'm leaving.
Even though I like it here. Gonna start a new career.
Gonna make it to the top and start my coffee shop

So while the video may go down in the pantheon of great "I quit" anthems, Sipka apparently doesn't harbor any ill will toward his former boss or co-workers, making him, it seems, among the politest of extreme quitters.

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

David

They should have had Kramer (from Seinfeld) sing the song after a few lattes.

December 19 2012 at 5:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pmbalele

That is one of the best ways to quit your job or letting your former boss know he is an idiot to fire you. This is instead of shooting everybody including the boss. In Minnesota a fired guy went and killed his boss. Now he is in prison for life. Don’t. We have to learn how to respond to bad news. There are many peaceful ways such filing complaints or demanding UI etc. That way the boss knows who is the actual boss -the guy quitting or fired. Do you know once an employee quits or is fired the boss is boss less. He has no power of you. Further, remember what goes around comes around. You may find your former boss jobless himself. I have seen that several times. I applaud that that guy and the group.

December 19 2012 at 3:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
leavesbound

Decades ago I worked in a fast food restaurant. We had a very disgruntled overnight janitor. One day he decided he didn't want to work there any more. Since he was an overnight janitor and had about 10 hours to do his deeds he got a lot done. So his particular way of going out with a bang included all of the following. I don't know the order as I was one of the ones who had to clean up the mess but These are some of what he did. He turned all the fryolators to their highest settings then opened the valves at the bottom and drained the lard out the bottoms. The elements had burned themselves out and tripped their respective breakers but not before destruction beyond repair. He crammed a roll of toilet paper into each of the toilets then tied a string around the valves to keep them open and continuously flushing. This flooded the dining room under several inches of water and other unmentionables. He dumped about 40 gallons of varous cleaning fluids all around the tables and floors. He put a number 10 can in each of the 8 industrial strength microwave ovens, set them to the highest settings and set the timers for an hour. They all exploded like hand grenades. Every flourescent light in the building, including the ones still in their boxes were busted and sprinkled their contents all over the food prep arias. He spread all the frozen meat patties loose on the bathroom floor. The cash drawers were filled with ketchup, mustard and other sticky codements. All the sink and floor drains were filled with concrete (must have gotten that from home depot as we didn't keep that there.) Then it seems he set off the fire alarm as he left as that white powder was everywhere though that might have been set off by the expoding microwave ovens. There were also broken windows, smashed registers, gas lines and electric lines cut and I just don't remember the rest. Oddly no money was taken despite the fact that the manager had forgotten to take the deposit to the bank compounded by forgetting to lock the safe. Well needless to say the restaurant was closed for a few days. I got some overtime cleaning up the mess. The gas company and electric company had work to do and the fire dept had lots of fun trying to navigate the restaurant with all that lard on the floor. As far as I know they never caught him.

December 19 2012 at 1:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spdy65

I admire people who work in coffee houses. Coffee house customers are the pickiest, snootiest, most demanding and un grateful crowd of the restaurant busines there is.

December 19 2012 at 12:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rhianon

Huh, I left my good paying job in April this yr. because I couldn't take the head supervisor trying to run our dept. like prison. She was racist, mexican that spoke no Spanish & had her favorites from Mexico. I'm white. She's in her mid 30's and no experience in management. How she got her job, no one could figure out. Anyway, I wrote such a nasty letter about her to headquarters that it went straight to security. I was interrogated to the hilt. I quit on my own recognizance. I miss making $36,000.00yr. cleaning restrooms & offices but I have my dignity too. I don't have med. insurance now either but oh well. She can still go to Hell. Yeah, I know...she won. And She can have it.

December 19 2012 at 12:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

Long time ago, but a friend of mine gave notice by telling everyone to be listening to the local Country/Western station at a certain time. The disk jockey came on, dedicated the song to all the boys at the company and played "Take This Job and Shove It" by Johhny Paycheck. Popular C&W singer back in the seventies. Had everone, including the boss, laughing.

December 18 2012 at 9:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
geldonski

Who are the minds that watch this garbage every week? Yeah sluggo, I 'm looking right at you. Are you one of them?

December 18 2012 at 8:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to geldonski's comment
dugandob

You read it so guess your one of those sluggo's your talking about. Yep and I'm one too.

December 18 2012 at 9:32 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Sheree

HAHA!! I like!

December 18 2012 at 8:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ironmikemiata

I liked it! when I left the Millitary,I went into my Commander's Office & sang 'Johny Paycheck's /anthem

December 18 2012 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to ironmikemiata's comment
Ken

I hadn't read your post. I just posted a srory about the same song except the guy who quit had the DJ at the local radio station dedicate and play it for the whole crrew.

December 18 2012 at 9:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tom

I highly doubt that. "take this job and shove it" ain't gonna go over well with the tough as nails commanders and first sergeants next doorI. First they would whip your ass, then toss you off-base (If lucky enough not to have insubordination charges filed against you). I will believe it when you can prove it.

December 18 2012 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jrsurferboy

owners look high! on stupid..

December 18 2012 at 7:57 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply