Small Town Comptroller, Rita Crundwell, Pleads Guilty In $53 Million Theft

Rita Crundwell comptroller theft guilty Woman Embezzled $53M from Illinois City

ROCKFORD, Ill. --- The top federal prosecutor in northern Illinois says former Dixon comptroller Rita Crundwell's theft of $53 million from the city is "one of the most significant abuses of public trust ever seen in Illinois."

Acting U.S. Attorney Gary Shapiro spoke Wednesday morning inside the federal courthouse in Rockford, where Crundwell changed her plea to guilty. Crundwell is accused of stealing the money over years and siphoning it into a secret account to pay for a lavish lifestyle and horse-breeding operation.

Shapiro says that federal authorities believe they have located, seized and are liquidating "virtually every asset" Crundwell owns. So far, Shapiro says, they've been able to raise $7.4 million from auctions. He says that he hopes her case is a warning for officials in other municipalities.

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Cassey

YOU, MADOFF, BANKERS (YEAH, BANKERS), REALTORS, CONGRESS AND OTHERS OF YOU, JUDGES, ATTORNEYS, DOCTORS, NURSES (STOP MAKING CNAs YOUR A S S WIPES) ARE ALL CROOKED THIEVES IN MANY, MANY WAYS. KISS OFF YOU CROOKED PEOPLE WITH YOUR NOBODY CARE TITLES

November 22 2012 at 5:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cassey

FAKE FAKE FAKE A S S W H I T E Y B$$$H YOU KNOW HOW MANY PEOPLE COULD HAD BEEN CLOTHED OR FED OR SHELTERED OR MIGHT NOT HAVE HAD TO WORK TWO AND THREE JOBS OR FAMILIES THAT COULDN'T HAVE THINGS THEY NEEDED, DO YOU B % * > H???????????

November 22 2012 at 4:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cassey's comment
cleverbux

With her lavish spending, I am sure alot of people got clothed and many people made big profits from her. As far as Whitey, check out what blackie Obama has spent and left people without jobs and is bankrupting America and you still vote for him. DUH. What do you have to say about that you black racisit?

November 26 2012 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cassey

YUCK!!! WOW!!! BRANDING - THE NEW CENTURY OF CROOKS MUST BE EDUCATED FIRST TO GET THAT HIGH SALARY PAYING POSITION!!! I INSIST, ITS' A MUST. WHERE ARE THE OTHERS INVOLVED, COME ON, WE ALL KNOW WHITE PPL STICK TOGETHER, COME ON NOW...

ARE TRILLION DOLLAS COUNTRY CAN'T MAKE IT WITHOUT OUR EDUCATED CROOKED LEADERS THESE DAYS.

WHAT IS SHE GOING TO GET FOR 53 M I L L I ON D O L L A R S

MOVE OVER MAOFF YOU GET TO HAVE SOME COMPANIONSHIP AFTERALL.

NOBODY BUT THE QUIET WHITE PEOPLE THAT TOOK, evidently, 'SHUTUP MONEY'

PUT ALL THOSE D*%N THIEVES UNDER THE PRISON

ALL THOSE HORSES AND NOBODY COULD ADD OR SUBTRACT

"NOBODY HAD ANY IDEAL THAT SHE WAS DOING WHAT SHE WAS DOING " B$LLSH$T
B$LLSH$T B$LLSH$T B$LLSH$T B$LLSH$T B$LLSH$T B$LLSH$T NOT EVEN HER RELATIVES NOR FRIENDS

D@@N ATEXAN LIVING IN A NORTHERN WELL THAT DOSN'T PROVE OUT TO WORK VERY WELL
IT'S NO WONDER WHY CHICAGO DIDN'T HAVE ANY MORE CAUSE THE B???H TOOK IT ALL

November 22 2012 at 4:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Cassey's comment
jstahl4450

What happened? Did she steal your welfare check too?

January 29 2013 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mamoseley3

Has anybody besides me ever heard of "checks and balances"? I was a bookkeepr for many years and there was NO way I could steal from my company. To begin with, I was an honest employee. But there was also something that anybody with ANY common sense used to see that that didn't happen. I handled the cash drawer but I didn't make change out of it. Scary, huh? BUT, I balanced my cash drawer when I came to work first thing in the morning, again at noon, and again before I went home at night. I can promise you that there was NO theft in our office. I can't believe businessmen and women don't have a backup plan to balance their money. NO FREAKIN' WONDER this country is going down the tubes. Business owners don't know how to run a business. Some people just work to take what belongs to others and then there are those of us who work to EARN our paychecks. Good thing these lowlifes don't work for me. They wouldn't last past the first day. WAKE UP AMERICA! No wonder there are so many businesses going under. There are millions of people who WON'T work who think they are ENTITLED to what other people own. That's what the government has made them into. Lazy, shiftless, sorry, no-good bums. You CAN stop this from happening. It just takes work and determination to keep what belongs to YOU.

November 18 2012 at 2:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oceana6695

Between all the misspelled words, do I sense sour grapes? Yep...

November 18 2012 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mr Collier

She should get 20 Years --

November 18 2012 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tim

Hay it is Illinois, What you expect !!!!! Obama was not rich and known he has Millions ??????

November 18 2012 at 5:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BARRY AND KATHY

Having grown up in a town of between 2 and 3 thousand people, I find it difficult calling a CITY of 153,000 a ''small town''. My Uncle lived there and worked as a federal meat inspector in a dog food factory for years. He was a veterinarian.

November 17 2012 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
siderman

I would think that a small town would not even have 53 million

November 17 2012 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to siderman's comment
Wolf

they dont it took her years to get that much,, Listen to the report !

November 18 2012 at 8:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bree_zee

If someone can steal $53mil over the course of years and no one notices, then something is wrong with your government system. Like so many, they fail to provide sufficient oversight and accounting practices.

November 17 2012 at 6:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply