Unemployed, Romney Supporter: 'I Am Numb'

Election 2012 Romney supporters

It's the morning after Election Day 2012 and I am feeling numb.

Over the past four years, nearly three of which occurred after my layoff from a good job with a good company, I came to believe that the policies of the Obama administration were antithetical to a robust economic recovery after a deep recession. Instead of cutting tax rates, spending and regulations, the way Ronald Reagan did to stimulate a booming economic recovery nearly 30 years ago, President Obama did the opposite.

The results have been dismal: several years of chronically high unemployment, especially for young people, baby boomers and minorities.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

And for this performance, yesterday a majority of American voters rewarded President Obama with a second term. I don't know why, but there will be plenty of time to analyze it.

More: Employers Post Fewest Job Ads In 5 Months

Right now I'm beginning instead to think about what his reelection means for those of us struggling for work. What do we have to look forward to over the next four years?

I worry about all the young people who, despite fresh college and graduate degrees, are finding it difficult to launch their careers because the jobs just aren't there.

I worry about older Americans, the baby boomers who, like me, with wonderful educations, skills and experience, were downsized out of our careers and now find ourselves largely unwanted in a shrunken economy, with spent savings and hopes for retirement dashed.

I worry about the millions and millions of Americans subsisting on food stamps and other forms of government support. How can we lift ourselves up and achieve the American dream if the means by which that has always been achieved -- hard work, good jobs, small business or corporate world success -- is becoming more elusive every day?

More: Election 2012's Big Question: Is The Jobs Picture Improving?

We are not just numbers, the unemployed and underemployed. We are so many real people, with often tragic stories of struggle and suffering, who've had little to show for our persistent efforts these past four years because the economy has yet to truly recover. What do we have to look forward to now?

Although I'm feeling pretty low on hope right now, I'm an optimist at heart and I will bounce back once I've recovered from the blow of these election results. When that happens, there are a few things I'll have the audacity to hope for in a second Obama term.

1. I hope that President Obama recognizes that about 56 million Americans voted against another four years of his policies. That's a lot of people who are unhappy with things as they are. His slim margin of popular votes is by no means a mandate for four more years of the same. I hope that he will take this to heart and consider making some changes.

2. I would like him to reflect on the real economic misery that's afflicting many millions of real Americans and try ways that he hasn't already tried to solve these problems. Since his haven't helped much, I would like him to be open to implementing economic ideas different from his.

3. I would like him to take new economic advice from people who are not simply "yes" men or women for his ideology. Maybe, if he would at least experiment with some Reaganesque policies, who knows? Our economy might just surprise him and respond.

A fresh start, a new beginning, might be good for both him and our country.

Reaction To Obama's Speech

More From Fran Hopkins

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Fran Hopkins

Contributor

Fran Hopkins is a lifelong NJ resident and Baby Boomer who’s been searching for full-time work since losing her job in a January 2010 layoff.  While “between jobs,” she’s earned an MS degree in Health Communication, does freelance writing and public relations, and is actively involved in the NJ chapter of the Association for Women in Communications.  Her household includes a college-age son and an assortment of pets.

Add Fran to your Google+ Circles.

zegoose

The problem is that you are old, ugly and lack character. Get a job doing something useful (hint: not public relations) or STFU. McDonalds is hiring.

December 13 2012 at 9:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thompson Colleen

Fran, "numb" may have been the word I was looking for to describe my utter sense of disappointment. I share so many of your sentiments. I have to wrap my mind around this thing...I feel as though I am doubly cursed since I live in California, "Land of Higher and Higher Taxation"... It will not be an understatement to say I feel as though something important or someone dear to me has just died. Grief and worry consume me at this moment...wondering where we are headed and how long before the sun begins to shine again. I worry I may never have a meaningful or good-paying job again. Without the repeal of ACA ("Obamacare")it is a sure thing that companies will only hire part-timers or send even more of the jobs overseas. How can our country sustain the status quo and continue to lead the world? This is a time of great fear and trepidation, in my mind.

November 12 2012 at 1:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ab0ng

Fran, your concern is with the wrong people. Congress is the root of our problems, not Obama, and for my job, which is in jeopardy, it is the Republicans that are the cause. My Georgia Republicans are very anti aerospace business, but that is because they are puppets to the Republican leadership. The Republican leadership gave up Billions of dollars of manufacturing opportunity by refusing to allow foreign military sales to Japan, Australia, Great Britain of aircraft. Hundreds of engineering jobs left Georgia to go to Texas to repay favors to Bush supporters. And my Republican representatives and Senators did nothing other than gloat over the shutdown of the production line of the aircraft, strutting around about how great the airplane is and how great it is no longer being produced and hiding the hundreds of jobs that left Georgia because of their inaction to allow foreign military sales that would have reduced the balance of trade better than any other program in existence, better than even the F-35 program.

You forget, rich people create few jobs when their taxes are decreased. They won't hire an additional grounds keeper or cook, but more dollars for the middle class mean the older middle class person will hire a kid to mow the lawn, or pay to have his water pump on the car replaced instead of doing it himself. Tax breaks for the middle class returns a far better return on investment than it does for a rich person. A rich person will buy a mercedes, swapping from buying a Toyota, so no net job gains, but a middle class will buy a new car instead of a used car, for a net increase of jobs.

All Republican leadership is busy doing is paying off debts to the Koch Brothers, or other rich people, but calling it jobs creation, but the reality is the are just trying to keep their job by being puppets to the rich instead of doing their job of ensuring freedom and equality.

There are people out there, knocking on doors, getting interviews, but when they show up, are almost immediately shown the door because the hiring people don't like the way the people look, regardless of their ability. And I am talking about doctors, accountants, engineers, veterans, and more, all at the top of being qualified, except that bigotry blinds the hiring people. these people, these card carrying Republicans admit to being bigots and believe it is their God given right to be bigots.

Did you ever think that even if you are a Republican, you will be discriminated against because their bigotry is greater than their party affiliation. Being a woman, you are probably being unknowingly discriminated against because you are a woman, even though may be a Republican woman.

So stop feeling sorry for yourself and do something about it. Vote out the Republican bigots that think you are incapable of doing the same job as Bubba, and being paid the same.When did you give up being a person and accept being a subordinate woman to the Republican male?

November 09 2012 at 6:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

The world is a different place than it was when Reagan was president. I don't believe he would have had the success he did in turning the country around if he were president the last 4 years. I agree that uncertainty caused by government policies has exacerbated the problem. However I believe that large corporations MUST take ownership as well. Corporate America (IT) has been outsourcing and insourcing for more than a decade. Is there a reason that large corporations are unable to show patriotism and hire citizens of the USA. They need to stop considering outsourcing or insourcing as a panacea. If an available unemployed candidate does not have the precise experience required, whether it be number of years experience or perhaps a particular set of software tools, then evaluate if they are a good fit for the company in other ways (personality, drive, enthusiasm) and then train them. Provide paid internships for the unemployed, recent college graduates, our veterans. The USA is an amazing country with great resiliency. She became great by investing in her people, because companies were willing to provide opportunities. On another note, I find it very disturbing to see political pundits, politiicians, bloggers and the comments already willing to write off the President. While I agree it was tiring hearing the "inherit" comments, the fact was the direction of the country was inherited. People of this country who did not vote for the president should not translate their vote into not supporting, not hoping and praying that he is successful in his second term. Stop the negativity folks, as it just breeds negativity. My bet is on the USA and she will succeed despite the negativity coming from all quarters of our society.

November 09 2012 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
fellow US citizen

Hey Fran, well spoken! I was a bit upset myself. Another four years of Obama? Hope and change indeed! SIGH!

November 08 2012 at 9:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
houseofbeauty

All though Mitt has lost I really believe that people are numb to the truth, Mitt has said his words bruttily but the truth never feels good people rather exsit in the rhelm of outerlimits then to co exsit with reality, the reality is our nation is sinking before our eyes Mitt did not ponder to people his ego was a little to high and his anxiety to get america back on track was not spoken well enough if not at all by him. I feel his pain jobs have been lost, futures have been exstinguished, hope has been denied and america is no longer americans anymore, immigration of both legal and illegal has brought us to our knees, the dept will be in outerspace somewhere by the time im ready to retire which might leave me with nothing as banks fold to a sinking economy the people that are mainly poor are comfortable with being that way there is nomore hard work no more except those who came from 3rd world countries whom made a dollar there and five an hour is a lot here and this is where our nation is headed our streets are cluttered, trash, over population is never good coming to a neighborhood near you now and I'm a black woman saying this!

November 08 2012 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul Harris

Factoid: half of the people interviewed in exit polls, claimed the the Economic problems we now face were "Bush's fault". Even though this makes no sense and 4 years have gone by....this perception has become reality, for a lot of people. Obama has cleverly spun this tale and Mitt was so blind, he failed to refute it in any meaningful way. So no one is really looking at what needs to be done. When the debt is 103% of the GDP....disaster is assured. As a percentage...this is worse than Greece! It's like having a credit card balance.... that's your whole years wages. Dem or Rep.....if we don't get a handle on this debt thing and interest rates rise....we will collapse as a viable economy. It's that simple.

November 07 2012 at 10:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert P Poindexter

Excellent ideas Fran and I hope his ego won't get in the way of making decisions that will truly help those of us who aren't rich enough to unaffected by bad policy and aren't poor enough to qualify for government cheese.

November 07 2012 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gulfto

Get ready America - you are going to get just what you re-elected. The Great Recession of 2013, 2014 and 2015 is just around the corner. Look it up - it's all written in the last 4 years

November 07 2012 at 7:41 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Stacy Molloy

you should be angry with people like Romney that sent good jobs overseas and got rich doing it..

November 07 2012 at 3:11 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Stacy Molloy's comment
dede4007

HEY girl, Romney did NOT send his companies over seas. MANY people did, and I AM angry with them. Guess WHAT? A WHOLE BUNCH OF THEM ARE DEMOCRATS

November 07 2012 at 6:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

Romney DID NOT spend 1 TRILLION DOLLARS on 2 companies only to watch them go bankrupt 2 years later. America has died a slow death over the past 4 years, only to be creamated in january when obama takes oath again. Wonder if he plans on using his real name this time... HUMMMMM BARRY???

November 08 2012 at 8:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 27 - Aug 3

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.