Pizza Delivery Man, Not Tipped, Pees On Customer's Door [Video]

pizza deliveryman pees on door

It's not unusual for workers who rely on tips for the bulk of their income to get upset should a customer fail to leave a gratuity. But a Pizza Hut delivery driver really went out of his way to express his displeasure at getting stiffed -- by peeing on a customer's door.

The incident happened last week in Des Moines, Iowa, and was caught on a surveillance camera at the Deer Ridge Apartments, where Chloe Teply lives. Teply placed an order for the pizza on Thursday evening, knowing that she probably didn't have enough to tip the delivery driver, KCCI-TV reports (via KCRG.com).

Teply told the TV station that she knew she should tip, but just didn't have the few dollars to spare. "It's just one of those things where, unfortunately, I don't have the money," Teply said.

A few hours later she noticed yellow liquid on her front door and at first was puzzled by who might have been angry enough with her to urinate on it.

"I was like, 'Hmm, who was at my door that might be upset with me?' And it kind of hit me that it was the pizza delivery guy," Teply said.

More: Fired Worker, Martha Parker, Blames Cough Medicine For Failed Drug Test

A review of the security video showed Teply's suspicion to be correct. In describing the video, apartment manager Sheri Larson said that the footage shows the delivery driver giving Teply her pizza and starting to leave. He then pauses and heads back to her door.

After setting down his bag, "you see him there doing his duty," Larson said. "And then he turns around to exit again; you'll see his pants are undone, and he's just tucking his shirt back in and zipping up," she said.

Larson was incredulous. "I was appalled," she said. Larson called the Pizza Hut where the man worked and spoke with the store manager, whom she described as "very cooperative." After viewing the video for himself, the store manager said the employee would be fired.

But that left Teply only to wonder who would clean up the urine.

Teply told KCCI that she understood the young man was probably struggling, just like she is. But being stiffed doesn't justify his act.

"If you're going to be really upset about things like that then maybe you shouldn't be a pizza delivery driver at all," Teply said.

After the TV station aired the story, the now-former deliveryman called Teply to apologize -- and then spent part of Saturday morning cleaning up her doorway.

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Laura Miller

even speaking to the customer about it was a good choice. high chances that he would have got some spare change as tip or get promised a bigger tip next time around.

March 11 2013 at 5:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pearl Nestor

There were very few times that I couldn't tip a delivery driver. One time I came back from a trip, no food in the house and only just enough cash to buy the pizza, but I always made it up to them. I aways tipped good too, at 5.00 every time, so if I was short one time, I would not expect them to spit in my food. At least I hope not. I live in Anchorage and sometimes the weather is so horrible and nasty I wouldn't wish for a dog to be out there let alone a fellow human being. So when these fellows are delivering me food, sometimes at the peril of their own lives, I make sure I tip damn good. I can see being short at one time or another, but it shouldn't be a habit, and make sure you double it next time. Karma can be good, just pay the insurance!

December 27 2012 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ewan72403

If she's that short of cash, why not eat a bowl of soup or eat a sandwich rather than ordering a pizza for $12?

December 26 2012 at 2:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
stl198287

Having worked as a pizza delivery driver, I remember one of the articles in the employee handbook including a disclaimer about gratuity - indicating that tips are optional. It went on to say that it is rare when a customer doesn't tip, so don't be discouraged. I delivered pizzas as a part time job, and I had benefits from my full time work, so anything that I earned from pizza delivering was extra money. I was paid an hourly wage, gas reimbursement and tips.

I won't speak for other drivers, because we all had different circumstances. Some may have had to spend more on insurance, car maintenance or had less income from their other jobs. The restaurant does want its drivers to get good tips in order to minimize turnover, and wants its customers to be happy, so that they provide repeat business. It's cause and effect.

When making a delivery without receiving a tip, I could look at it as a customer whose business that the restaurant values, and, maybe next time, the customer will have enough money for a nice tip. I didn't want to jump to the conclusion that a certain customer will never tip. The restaurant requires that it gets the price that it asks for the food, and doesn't require gratuity. Other drivers may look at it differently. I have no problem with that, as I didn't own the restaurant. While I have my opinion, I won't claim to have all the answers. Needless to say, I wouldn't try to look for ways to get revenge on a patron who doesn't tip.

December 18 2012 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob_bobsonsonsonsen

If you don't have the money to tip you can't afford the pizza. Don't order if you're gonna make the driver pay to bring you your food. Not only does he have to pay to bring it to you but also he's missing out on going to a customer who might not have been a cheap thief someone that would have reimbursed him for the gasoline he spent and the wear on the vehicle. She deserved more than urine.

December 17 2012 at 10:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bob_bobsonsonsonsen's comment
bob_bobsonsonsonsen

Get some ramen if you " can't afford to tip" (READ: are a cheap jerk)

December 17 2012 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NakkiNyan

The job is a tipped position with minimum wage. I had to do it for a couple years, used my own car and never got a penny from my job to cover gas, upkeep or increased insurance cost (it tripled because I was using the insured car as a "work vehicle"). There were times where it cost me as much to do my job as I made because when you go to a place and the person said they didn't order it the pizza was out of my pocket. Yes, I paid for someone else's pizza that they ordered as a joke. Essentially I was paid minimum, sold a pizza, and forced to "sell" it to the customer to cover the costs of using the car. Thankfully most of the time it was good money.

November 13 2012 at 3:26 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to NakkiNyan's comment
bob_bobsonsonsonsen

Most pizza places pay less than minimum wage here.

December 17 2012 at 10:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hair-Raising Hell

She deserves it, for being so cheap. She also deserves worse for being stupid, because:

YOU DO NOT **** WITH SERVICE PEOPLE. They HANDLE YOUR FOOD, and they KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE, and they are ALREADY PISSED OFF.

I wrote an article about this piece on my blog, please feel free to check it out:

November 11 2012 at 11:11 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
DIANRYANA

What this guy did was discusting and deserves to be fired and to clean up his mess! with a shirt that says I peed on this ladies porch because she wouldnt tip me! that said there is a difference with tipping process you have to look at it different ways I am LMT once I wokred on aguy who clearly had alot of money he whipped out his money at the front desk! and his car was brand new expeinsive , he dressed nice all that good stuff I did a 2 hr massage on him he left me $5 he told me he loved it it was an awesome massage to me that is cheap ! and an insult to me!. so yea I hate cheapies, however if this would have been a guy who hated it thought I did horrible and didnt put effort into it then fine leave me hardly anything or nothing at all. I have also had clients who truly loved my massage and they got it as a gift or they had to save for the massage and they cant truly afford it yet they were truly appreciative, and recomneded me to all thier freinds then guess what the tip is not all that important! so I feel you have to look all situtations!

November 11 2012 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jebcab

Fat girl didn't need to be ordering a pizza anyway.

November 10 2012 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Faulkner

Alright, here's my view on tipping delivery men, they're getting a paycheck and I'm the one paying for the pizza so why should I tip them when delivering pizza is their job? They don't know if I'm going through financial troubles myself. I could be working a job that pays just as much as theirs.

November 09 2012 at 8:13 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply