Brittany Laughlin, 26-Year-Old Entrepreneur, Gets Jobs for Veterans

Brittany Laughlin jobs for veterans

By Andy Meek

Hundreds of thousands of veterans are coming home over the next several years as the U.S. scales down its presence in the Middle East.

Brittany Laughlin, an entrepreneur in her late 20s who's already literally been around the world, wants to put some of them to work.

Laughlin is the kind of person who tends to set lofty ambitions, both personally and professionally, and then reverse-engineer a way to achieve them. She gave herself a personal goal, for example, of traveling to all 7 continents by age 25, which she accomplished last year.

She's also the CEO of Incline, a new startup that takes tech-savvy military veterans, puts them through an "introduction to web development" class that's a few weeks long, and then connects them with companies looking for tech talent.

Through Incline, Laughlin essentially has created a portal for veterans to find jobs after they get home and for employers who need to fill programming jobs.

More: Vets Complain: Veterans Administration Sitting On Paychecks

"Companies looking to hire talent out of the class pay a discounted recruiting fee, and Incline will help them claim tax credits up to $5,600 offered by the U.S. government for hiring a veteran," Laughlin said.

Incline, which is based in New York City, is partnering with the General Assembly incubator, to host its classes, the first round of which just ended a few days ago.

Laughlin calls herself a Navy brat "three times over." Her grandfather, father and brother all have worn the Navy's blue and gold.

Entrepreneurship also is in her blood. Several family members also have started businesses of their own.

After graduating from NYU, Laughlin worked at American Express for a time. She also did some writing for Forbes. She says the corporate world didn't ultimately didn't prove fulfilling.

While working at Amex, she kept trying to improve herself on the side. With a degree in marketing, she quickly realized there weren't many opportunities for the life she wanted to have -- that of a startup founder.

More: Top Employers Near Military Bases

She met a Harvard student, and the two of them began talking about fleshing out a startup. They ended up grabbing the top spot at the 2009 Harvard College i3 Innovation Challenge and founded the Lightbank-banked travel startup Gtrot.

Laughlin then transitioned to Incline, merging her startup experience with the firsthand military family experience she has.

"Our company is pretty unique, but it's the students in our first class who are truly amazing," Laughlin said.

Veterans Get Schooled - A Veteran's Latest Battlefield: College

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

chafontenotrose

Thanx Brittany! You Are one in a MILLION that Cares enough to HELP OUR VETS!!!1

July 30 2013 at 4:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jrp1947

She is cute and has a brain and knows how to use it to help others. Bet every vet coming home is going to be falling over her if they are not married. Thank you Brittany for being there for the guys when they need you the most. It is nice to come home and know the women had your back while you were gone. As a vet someone like you would have at least been a morale booster when we got out in the 1960's and 1970's.

October 31 2012 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spyhopper17

Wonderful Job Brittany! Was wondering if veterans could be put into jobs helping with the storm clean-up along east cost. I am a veteran and was given job preference when hired by a city and I was and am so thankful for that opportunity. MJM

October 31 2012 at 8:55 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to spyhopper17's comment
skylinegra

Sounds good to me. Veterans obviously have what it takes to " get the job done". Just wait though, Al Sharpton and the NAACP will be out demanding " their " people get the storm clean up jobs. Why? They'd take 3 times as long and that's a fact !!!

October 31 2012 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Wise One

Bravo for this enterprising and energetic young Lady Brittany Laughlin. She is doing in WEEKS what that wretch of a pretend president of ours Barack Obama has been unable to accomplish in the entire FOUR YEARS that he has WASTED in office so far.

October 31 2012 at 8:28 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
mgs3351

Refreshing! Inspirational! American Pride!
Obama.....call this young lady, and learn something.

October 30 2012 at 10:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to mgs3351's comment
uncommonsensesc

Oh, but she didn't build her business! How one idiot can undermine the determination, the sacrifices, the efforts of small business owners all over this country is beyond me! I tip my hat to all of them!

October 31 2012 at 6:15 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
dirodma

As a veteran I believe that Obama is supporting us. For exaple, giving companies who hire a vet a tax ride off, the new retraining program for one year for unemployed vets; I was approved in less than one month. And most important, while Bush kept sending the soldiers to war in his 8 aweful years as president, Obama is bringing them back. You are entitled to your own opinion but, get your facts straight.

October 31 2012 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moeelmore

Good for her, but she is dealing with those ready to enter the work force. I have two buddies running programs designed to help indivituals with adjustment problems get their acts together and to become productive members of society. Both are in New Mexico and both deal with small numbers. Horses for Heroes - cowboy up is one, and What Would You Give is another. If you are ready to help with funds or time, check them out. My local chapter of the Military Order of the Purple Heart and Special Forces Association sponsor both.

October 30 2012 at 9:58 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to moeelmore's comment
uncommonsensesc

Actually, she's helping with more training specifically targeting web development. They are more tech savvy that some but she is giving them a boost...

October 31 2012 at 6:16 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
ehsanrizwan92

Great! One more obstacle in my way for work! I wasn't allowed to join the military 30 years ago due to a birth defect that has had absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever! (Flat feet). Of course, women at that time were being discouraged from joining because the military didn't know what to do with them if they weren't nurses! So, as an unemployed female that is over 50, I have had a horrible time finding work after I was laid off my last job! I have been perfectly qualified and educated for several positions that I attempted to get but was shut out by a veteran every time!! I took the postal service exam and got a 97%! Again, beat out by a veteran who only scored 85%, but with his veteran points, he was offered the job! I'm all for finding meaningful, sustainable employment for our veterans as we owe them a debt of gratitude for serving. However, when someone attempted to join and was turned down for reasons beyond their control, they should have the same shot at the jobs as a veteran!

October 30 2012 at 4:05 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ehsanrizwan92's comment
uncommonsensesc

A few years back I applied for a federal job which I was qualified for and it was a perfect fit for me. When I wasn't even considered for an interview, I questioned as to why not. I was told that for this job (I am assuming most federal jobs work the same), they were only allowed 3 candidates and if any of those candidates had military service they were given preference over me no matter if they were qualified or not! My contact person told me that she had looked over my resume and application, and would have loved to have interviewed me but due to the "rule of three" she couldn't. I do agree with you about giving everyone a fair chance - it's the racial quota all over again but with different criteria! When is there going to be a quota for white, middle-aged, well-qualified, hard-working women?????

October 31 2012 at 6:21 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Kat Fiessinger

October 30 2012 at 3:16 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kat Fiessinger's comment
uh34d

Based upon your post, it would appear to me, there is more going on in your life than being beat out of a job by a veteran. If things were as great as you think & believe for veterans, their unemployment rate wouldn't be above 20%.

October 30 2012 at 3:25 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to uh34d's comment
sadiemae1214

I don't suppose you noticed that the post you replied to has a duplicate just above it but a different name?

October 30 2012 at 9:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
uncommonsensesc

She didn't say it was great, just that there should be a level playing field for everyone involved. When companies get a $5,600 incentive to hire a veteran, what do you think that does to the chances of them hiring a civilian when there is no monetary bonus for them?? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out - the civilian loses out and the company gets a $5,600 bonus whether they hire the best qualified candidate or not!!!

October 31 2012 at 6:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
Anne Marie DeSoto

This story is encouraging with a capitol "E"!!

Way to go, Brittany!!

October 30 2012 at 3:01 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
David

What a special young lady. Being well traveled is always a good thing. Our vets need and deserve all of the help they can get finding a new job in an economy where no one is finding job. What people don;t realize is that most veterans have the motivation & initiative to work w/o supervision and micro management. Veterans have already proven they can work as a team player which is a big step forward in any job. The longer the vet was in, the better he/she will be for your company.

October 30 2012 at 2:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply