10 Fastest-Growing Industries For Jobs
There is no shortage of industries hard hit by the recent recession, which resulted in millions of Americans losing jobs. But with the economy making a comeback, some industries are now showing robust growth, according to a new report released this week.
The study, prepared by Economic Modeling Specialists Intl. and CareerBuilder, an AOL Jobs sponsor, notes 10 industries where job growth has increased by double digits the past two years. Heavily represented in these fast-growing fields are the energy and health-care sectors, but so are manufacturing, technology, logistics and a trio of occupations that employ many freelance as well as salaried workers.
Overall, job creation is on "an upward trajectory," CareerBuilders says, though some areas are experiencing slow or stagnant growth, according to the report, which includes data for employees as well as self-employed workers, culled from more than 90 national and state employment resources.
The following is a list of fast-growing industries where job growth has increased by double digits -- with an addition of at least 20,000 jobs from 2010 to 2012 -- according to the report:
- Internet Publishing and Broadcasting and Web Search Portals -- 28,333 jobs added since 2010, up 30 percent.
- Drilling Oil and Gas Wells -- 21,970 jobs added, up 29 percent.
- Electronic Shopping -- 25,327 jobs added, up 23 percent.
- Crude Petroleum and Natural Gas Extraction -- 32,715 jobs added, up 21 percent.
- Temporary Help Services -- 438,116 jobs added, up 21 percent.
- Machine Shops -- 44,754 jobs added, up 18 percent.
- Marketing Consulting Services -- 27,113 jobs added, up 13 percent.
- Computer Systems Design Services -- 88,740 jobs added, up 12 percent.
- Specialized Freight (except used goods) Trucking, Local -- 22,936 jobs added, up 11 percent.
- Home Health Care Services -- 116,360 jobs added, up 10 percent.
Looking for a job? Click here to get started.
Don't Miss: Companies Hiring Now
More From AOL Jobs
- 7 In-Demand Jobs For Veterans
- 10 Jobs In High Demand In 2012 And Beyond
- 9 Most Secure Jobs In America
David Schepp has spent more than a dozen years covering business news for the electronic and print media, including Dow Jones Newswires, BBC News, Gannett Co., and most recently at AOL's DailyFinance. Nearly 10 years ago, he started writing a weekly People@Work column, looking in depth at issues facing workers in today's workplace. The syndicated column appeared in newspapers and websites nationwide before it made its debut on DailyFinance in 2010. Schepp now continues that tradition at Aol Jobs, covering the jobs beat and providing readers insight and analysis into the nation's challenging employment scene.
Schepp holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism from Metropolitan State College of Denver.
Follow David on Twitter. Email David at email@example.com. Add David to your Google+ circles.