Jobs That Make The World A Worse Place

worst jobs

Fast food workers. Telemarketers. Investment bankers. These professions have the highest share of employees who say their jobs make the world a worse place, according to a survey by PayScale.com.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With

1. Fast Food Worker
Workers who say their job makes the world a worse place: 38.4%

Many fast food workers aren't feeling so good about handing you those greasy burgers and fries. In a survey conducted by PayScale that asked employees, 'Does your job make the world a better place?," 38.4% of fast food workers said their job was actually making the world a worse place.

That's the highest percentage for any of the jobs included in the survey and is well above the average of less than 1% across all jobs.

Why are fast food workers feeling so low? It's likely that some workers feel as if they are contributing to the country's worsening obesity epidemic, said Katie Bardaro, lead economist at PayScale. "A lot of fast food isn't healthy for you, and [fast food workers] are continuing to feed it to people even though they know that it's not," she said.

2. Gaming Dealer
Workers who say their job makes the world a worse place: 17.6%

Watching gamblers throw their money away weighs on the consciences of some casino dealers, whose job often involves dealing the hands for games like poker and blackjack, distributing the winnings and collecting the losers' chips at the end of a game.

"They're supporting peoples' vices," said PayScale's Bardaro. "They may feel they're making the world a worse place by taking money away from people who often can't afford to lose that money."

Nearly 18% of gaming dealers say their job makes the world a worse place and almost half said their job doesn't do anything to make the world a better place.

3. Telemarketer
Workers who say their job makes the world a worse place: 9.4%

Interrupting family dinners with phone calls about products that people often don't need may lead some telemarketers to question the worthiness of their line of work.

More than 9% of telemarketers surveyed by PayScale said they thought their job made the world a worse place -- well above the industry wide average of less than 1%.

"Apart from door-to-door salespeople, telemarketers may be perceived as one of the most annoying sales professions," said Joel Garfinkle, career coach and author of "Getting Ahead: Three Steps to Take Your Career to the Next Level." "They enter your home -- via the telephone -- uninvited."

If you represent or sell a product that you believe actually has value for consumers, however, the job could become more meaningful, he said.

4. TV Newscast Director
Workers who say their job makes the world a worse place: 8.1%

Producing news about natural disasters, mass murders and economic meltdowns can take a toll on some TV newscast directors, who often work in control rooms and make sure everything runs smoothly.

"They're [sometimes] highlighting the bad things in the world because that's what gets the best ratings -- often times stories about things like gossip and violence," said PayScale's Bardaro.

5. Bartender
Workers who say their job makes the world a worse place: 6.7%

Getting people drunk may be fun, but some bartenders don't find it to be the most meaningful career.

"Does alcohol and the related downfalls of alcohol -- including drunk driving and alcoholism -- make the world a better place? For many bartenders, they may think not," said career coach Garfinkle.

But many bartenders actually have more meaningful jobs than they realize, since they can often act as therapist figures for customers who let their guard downs and open up to them, said Garfinkle. "It doesn't always occur to them that that interaction could really make a difference in a person's life."

Read the rest of the list on CNNMoney.

Looking for a job that makes the world a better place? Click here to get started.

More From CNNMoney

Filed under: Lists, Career Paths

CNNMoney

Editor

CNNMoney covers everything from Personal Finance, Retirement, Autos and Small Business to the Economy, Markets and Technology.

greenprotoplasm9

What about professional child molesters

October 23 2012 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jtdancernh

SERISOULY?!? This lilst is in no way complete if it doesn't include Vulture Capitalist / Wall Street Financier / Mortgage Lender and ANY JOB EVER HELD by Mitt Romney.

ALL of these jobs make the world a worse place.

October 23 2012 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arenadood

How about robo political phone calls at all hours of the day, now talk about annoying.

October 23 2012 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to arenadood's comment
dragondancer1814

Blame the button thumpers who are responsible for programming the computers that ruin our lives with these robocalls!

October 23 2012 at 1:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kmcc895370

You can tell by the low percentages here that very few people care if their job makes the world a worse place. Several years ago, out of desperation I took a job with a group subcontracted by the electricity company to turn off delinquent customers. The guys I worked with thought it was funny to cut the power while customers were inside trying to straighten out their bill on the phone. After 2 days of this and other tactics I noticed in the company garage boxes of work uniforms. When I asked they said that was from a previous job where they went union busting by working while a union was on strike. That was the final straw. i quit and felt much better about myself as a human being.

October 23 2012 at 6:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
abourge458

Telemarketers don't merely interupt dinners.

For many elderly, sick or injured, catching restful sleep, (when and if their bodies finally let them) is their highest priority. Taking the phone off the hook should not be forced on them. For these folk, it's not easy to simply go back to sleep. (Especially when being agravated by a pitch for lowering credit card rates on cards they don't even have! )
One can ignore an unknown number BUT..... It still wakes you up!
The same goes for off shift workers. ( There are MANY.... Police, fire, EMS, hospital workers, and some mnfg jobs.) The off-shift parents of young children off to school cannot risk being unavailable in emergencies.
I'm on the "No-call-list" but I stll get calls that I assume are routed through out of USA routes. (Or some way of avoiding caller I.D.)
If I answer them...... The second I begin to say "Take me off......" I'm hung up on so they can claim I didn't ask for that little politeness.
I really don't understand their logic to re-call the SAME tel number that hangs up on them week after week.
What? Maybe after the 156th time, I might change my mind? They are just wasting time and resources calling obvious "NO's!"

October 23 2012 at 5:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to abourge458's comment
dragondancer1814

I hate hate HATE robocalls! I've put us on the Do-Not-Call list repeatedly (try having to do so every six months), which takes care of the human-operated telemarketing calls, but the robocalls are like cockroaches-no matter how much you spray, they keep coming back to ruin your day! After a certain point, my husband will punch buttons until a human comes on the line, and then he chews them out!

To the telemarketers and robocall programmers. LEAVE US ALONE ALREADY!!!!

October 23 2012 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CHARLES

Hi

October 23 2012 at 2:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kenny

Anyone stupid enough to beleive that a fast food worker would be concerned with their contributing to the obesity epidemic?

October 23 2012 at 2:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rhodesa

Truth is seldom doled out so simply like this... I am sure it will be ignored.

October 23 2012 at 1:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
belldn3

I don't think bartender should be on this list. No, I'm not one, but I order a lot of drinks from one.

October 22 2012 at 9:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
golfinkatiekat77

You know. I worked in a call center where we were required to make "sales calls", when we were hired to be in-bound call receivers. I sure hated it, however it was a job! I needed a job! The abuse we took from people on the phone was horrendous. One night, a man told me to "get a real job"....I told him that I was looking for a "real job" however this was the only place my wheelchair would fit through the door!!
Even though I really don't want to be solicited via the telephone or at my door, I do take into consideration that perhaps the person on the other end of the phone would rather not have that type of job, however they have a job, and for better or wose, they're doing their job. Beats being on the public tit!

October 22 2012 at 8:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to golfinkatiekat77's comment
abourge458

Re: "The abuse we took from people on the phone was horrendous"

Sorry, you EARNED the abuse by abusing ME first!!!
When I'm on a registered "No-call" list, and your business finds a "work-around" it, your calling someone who has fore-warned you.
Excuuuuse me or being cranky if you interupted the rare precious sleeptime my arthritis battles me for..
Bear in mind....... YOU may be the third, fourth, of fifth caller of the day, to folks who for one reason or the other can't risk unhooking the line.
I've often been called the sweetest, nicest, most layed-back person some have ever known but.......... I draw the line at pillow time.
Working 10 hours a day on a Mental AND physically demanding job, I NEED a minimum 6 hours sleep to perform it well.
YOU may be needlessly waking up the nurse or Paramedic that someone needs to have at their best.
Don't like the verbal abuse? TOUGH CACA!
Slap someone in the face and expect a polite response? It's part of the job.

October 23 2012 at 5:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to abourge458's comment
abourge458

Sorry, I went overboard with that. If anything, I should have focused on the business, not the employee trying to earn a living...somehow, in THIS economy. Going at it "personally" was wrong.

October 24 2012 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.