Arby's Manager, Mary Archer, Fired After She Flees Armed Robber

Arby's manager fired after robbery

Store manager Mary Archer was likely more concerned with her own life than corporate policies early last Friday, when she slipped through the drive-through window of an Arby's to evade a robber who was brandishing a knife and demanding money.

But Arby's corporate honchos were unmoved and axed the veteran employee of the fast-food chain less than 24 hours after the incident in the Fairborn, Ohio, store. The company said that by allowing herself to be the lone employee in the store Archer failed to maintain the company's safety and security policy.

"I can't believe that I got through this situation alive, because I really thought I was going to die," Archer told local station WHIO-TV.

The burglar got into the restaurant shortly after another employee had left, leaving her the only store employee there, according to Archer's recollection of the incident. Archer, who was the manager on duty, was preparing to close when she heard the store's doorbell ring and figured the other worker had forgotten something, she told a television reporter (via the Dayton Daily News).

But to her horror, it was a burglar.

"He held up a knife and kept saying, 'Give me the money,' " she said.

The man cornered Archer in the office, but she shoved him aside and made her way to the drive-thru window, where she screamed for help, she said. Archer then climbed through the window.

A customer at a nearby convenience store heard Archer's cry for help and called police.

More: Most Undesirable Job In America?

"I had pushed him away ... because I'm like, 'I'm not going to die in Arby's tonight ... I'm just not,' " said Archer, 56, who would have marked 23 years with the company in January.

Friday's attempted robbery was reportedly the third that time thieves had targeted the Arby's, Archer's daughter told WHIO. Previously, burglars made off with the store's safe after failing a first time, but nothing was reported taken in Friday's attempt, and police are still looking for a suspect.

Arby's, an affiliate of Atlanta-based Roark Capital Group, said violations of its safety and security policy mean termination of employment without exception.

WHIO quotes an unnamed vice president of human resources at Arby's, who said that he feels bad about Archer's ordeal, but that Archer knowingly violated the company's safety and security policy -- and had been warned before.

Archer, however, isn't keen on returning anyway, saying, "I don't want my job back."

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

David Schepp

Staff Writer

David Schepp has spent more than a dozen years covering business news for the electronic and print media, including Dow Jones Newswires, BBC News, Gannett Co., and most recently at AOL's DailyFinance. Nearly 10 years ago, he started writing a weekly People@Work column, looking in depth at issues facing workers in today's workplace. The syndicated column appeared in newspapers and websites nationwide before it made its debut on DailyFinance in 2010. Schepp now continues that tradition at Aol Jobs, covering the jobs beat and providing readers insight and analysis into the nation's challenging employment scene.

Schepp holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism from Metropolitan State College of Denver.

Follow David on Twitter.
Email David at david.schepp@huffingtonpost.com. Add David to your Google+ circles.

Steve

That's what happens when you toil for years for someone else's dreams!
Many companies will cast employees to the side to save a buck!
Always have a plan B !

February 21 2013 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charles Pitts

jobs are being sent over seas
where dose the average person work to day
many people with a public school education
don't have a chance with living wage jobs

not everyone can go to collage
ability wise or financially wise

October 28 2012 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ATLConsultant

Who the F works at Arby's for 23 years???

October 25 2012 at 6:58 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ATLConsultant's comment
jymijam

thats not a nice thing to say. I worked there for 15 years.

October 27 2012 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
villgewitch

if thats her in the blue smock..how big is the drive thru window..looks like it'd take a garage door and some grease for her to slip thru anything

October 23 2012 at 5:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jb27409

looks like a bunch of bull to me!!!
how would having another employee there help
the only reason for having 2 is so the one will not steal the money and say that someone robbed them!!!
We all need to boycott Arby's now!!!! I will never eat there again!!!

October 23 2012 at 4:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jb27409's comment
jymijam

It's a fair policy, protects employee and company. Had a manager once did that and after investigating, found it was a set up. Fired and prosecuted!

October 27 2012 at 10:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lstnvlly

That will be the day when I lay my life down for a burger, fries and a coke, while the executive branch is having steak, baked potato and a glass of wine.

October 23 2012 at 4:18 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Dennis Wayne

She should've fed him a sandwitch,He then would've turned the knife on himself.........

October 23 2012 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dennis Wayne

23 years and this is what you get,Arbys sucks and I wouldn't feed that garbage to a mad dog.

October 23 2012 at 3:57 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Master

Well, I guess its time to send a message to corporate america once again! BOYCOTT ARBY'S!! Which is really too bad cuz I liked their sandwiches. Oh, well, I guess its back to burgers and fries!

October 23 2012 at 2:43 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Steve

She should sue arby's for failure to maintain a safe and secure work environment and not having security on site. Then she can add lost wages and pension, punitive damages, pain and suffering, etc. and I hope she wins big! Next time I think of going to eat at arby's I think I will think of this instead and not go at all. Are any of the big wigs at arby's reading this? Get it? I am firing arbys you are going to lose a lot of business over this for your mis treatment of your employees. Take that to the bank.

October 23 2012 at 2:40 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Steve's comment
jymijam

It was her job as manager to maintain it by not being there alone, nor should she have opened the door-any company concerned with safety has this policy.

October 27 2012 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

April 20 - April 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.