Michael Keohane

Nothing new here. When I entered college in 1965, the various career fields and their financial rewards were well known. What was just beginning to appear was the "New Age" majors - "Black Studies," "Women's Studies" and others. At first, these new majors benefitted from the common idea that all college degrees were equal. That had been so in the past. Every major required a core that was a standard with the major field added so a person who majored in Ancient Etruscan Art had completed the same standard core as a business major and would be equally valuable to an employer. Without the standard core, those "New Age" majors graduated people that were barely employable.

October 20 2012 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Was I mistaken or is teh woman with the hardhat on in the photo carrying a....................BINDER?

October 20 2012 at 8:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I smell bullshit.

October 20 2012 at 6:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andy Shick

Do pharmacy school, it'll pay more than most of these. But a 6-year doctorate (6 years total college/grad school) is required. The final year is entirely rotations though, so only 5 years of classes.

October 19 2012 at 8:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Bryant Crawford

The laughable and sad thing is America is losing ground rapidly in math and sciences.

Teachers aren't there and the ones who are sticking around can't teach it. They've got to be creative, give a kid a reason to learn these subjects and have an interest, make it fun, if you have too. That's your job make it exciting.

October 19 2012 at 7:45 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

I'm an unemployed college graduate with degrees in Human Factors Engineering, M.S. & B.S. and a B.S. in Psychology and certificates in Environmental Science (Water & Waste Water operator in training), and finally a certificate in Bio-Science. I worked in a automotive assembly plant for sixteen years that closed.

October 19 2012 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

This is not true. Engineers are being outsourced to India and China by the droves. I know a lot of engineers either looking for work; or making a lot less than they were a couple years ago.

October 19 2012 at 5:02 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

I think following the path of an Obama would be much better. It seems that going into politics today can guarantee a lifetime of wealth.

October 19 2012 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

whoever came up with this list is not in touch with reality

October 19 2012 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

So basically, if you're not a math person and am more a fine arts person, you're screwed! LOL!

October 19 2012 at 3:19 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to srszee's comment

I have a degree in fine arts (painting) and that hasn't prevented me from getting a job in a field that is heavily math oriented. And it has not prevented me from painting and exhibiting my art. Math aptitude and an art aptitude are not mutually exclusive. Many accomplished musicians that I've met are excellent in math, computers, and engineering, and usually hold 9-5 jobs in fields that require those skills. Some of it depends on the individual - I have a friend with an BA in English who is a VP of a manufacturing company, a classically trained musician who spent his career in IT, an art major who is now a nurse, as well as, believe it or not, an anthropologist who works as an anthropologist. But these are highly intelligent people who are also flexible in terms of the jobs they are willing to do. They are not limited by the idea that their college major defines their entire life's work.

October 19 2012 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply