Sports Reporter Will Buxton Fired Over Twitter

Sports writer Ted Pedulla was outraged in May when Gannett Newspapers fired him over the phone from the job he'd held for 31 years. Now another sports reporter seems to have been ungraciously terminated, but this time without even the courtesy of a phone call. He claims he found out over Twitter.

Will Buxton has been covering Formula One for the channel Speed for three years. But he apparently only learned that F1 was severing its 17-year partnership with the Fox-owned car channel when other Speed broadcasters took to Twitter to thank their fans for years of support, reports the auto blog Jalopnik.

This isn't the first time Buxton has lost a gig covering F1 for reasons beyond his control. According to his blog, his first full-time journalism gig after college was at Formula 1 magazine, which folded in 2004. But that was before Twitter.

After learning that Speed had lost F1, Buxton let out a torrent of tweets, at first expressing his shock and disappointment at finding out over the internet, and then saluting his Speed colleagues. He then clarified to fans that he really, truly found out over Twitter:

His mood took an upward turn, when he tweeted about a big party he would host in Austin for Speed's penultimate F1 race. "It is going. To. Be. Massive," he wrote.

Buxton then quickly shifted to job-hunting mode:

Buxton ended on a wistful note, writing "Well, here we go. A song for bedtime. A goodnight from me, and possibly a last good bye," along with a link to a YouTube video of Jeff Buckley's stirring ballad "Last Goodbye."

Perhaps realizing this crossed the line into morose, he tweeted: "And don't worry. I'm not depressed. Just love Jeff Buckley. Onwards and upwards my friend. Life has a way of giving you what you need."

A fan then tweeted at Buxton, whose British, an image of the iconic "Keep calm and carry on carry on" poster, but with "carry on" replaced by "save Buxton."

More: Top 10 Careers Thwarted By A Tweet

Ironically, Buxton had been on the online forum Reddit the day before to answer questions from F1 fans. "What is the most rewarding part of your job?" one commenter asked.

"I think mainly that for the last 10 years I've been able to live my dream and do something that genuinely never ever feels like work," he replied. "Spending every day with your heroes, travelling the world and making some brilliant friends along the way has been the most tremendous honour and joy."

According to news reports, Fox has been planning on converting the gearhead-focused Speed to a more general sports channel, which Jalopnik suspected is why F1 was cutting ties with the network. In the Reddit chat, one commenter portentously asked, "Where do you see Speed Channel going with the news that Fox wants it to become just a general sports channel?"

"I'm afraid I really don't know," Buxton said.

More From AOL Jobs

florenceyall39

I got fired by phone once, on my off day. One minute, I had a job, 5 minutes later, after a phone call from my boss where I was on speaker phone, I had NO job. I let my EX employer know that his tactics were cowardly & he KNEW this was going to happen, so the right way to handle it would've been to call me into a room in private, sit me down & explain to me like an adult what was going on. Bottom line, companies are DIRTY & they will discard you like an empty pizza box whenever & however they choose.

October 16 2012 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
denise8205

How about working from home, can't log into company website. Hmmm. Call office, talk to a couple of people about the IT problem, get put on hold. Owner comes on the line "WHAT?!" "I can't log on this morning." "I shut off your access, I can't afford you anymore." 2 1/2 years with the company. No warnings. No complaints. April 16, 2010.

October 16 2012 at 9:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

Expect more of the same.

October 16 2012 at 3:33 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
horsofcors

Not as media sensational but I was fired from a Hospital working as an RN on my birthday after working a 12 hour shift because I refused to allow the lower paid nurses aids to do my assessments and pass meds for me. I complained up the ladder and was told by a charity owned hospital that the numbers looked good. I was fired by the nurse manager that was encouraging this unethical behavior when I wouldnt sign off on these. Complained on up the ladder. But they always blame the nurses. I was walked out by security who apologized to me the whole way. But the Nurse manager got hers. Fired the day after I settled wrongful termination suit. Only wish I had gone to the board of nursing right off the bat instead of trying to take the "up the ladder" route.

October 15 2012 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
horsofcors

So cant feel too bad about this guy getting fired over a tweet. Just remember, when you are in the hospital, its the nurses that will often save your butt.

October 15 2012 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
horsofcors

October 15 2012 at 10:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dbear4u2

I fired an employee by text. It was quick and easy. I have unlimited texting and I had no interest in hearing excuses or pleading to keep their job. I love technology.

October 15 2012 at 9:47 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to dbear4u2's comment
arubano53

I once worked at a large They merged with a larger one and dispite every assurance there would be no lay-offs,...there were. All totalled,...one third of middle management was let go. Here is the "kicker",...They had the head of security stand by each in case of trouble. Guess who the last fired was? The head of Secuity!

October 15 2012 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chuckhalper

Here\'s a good one----how about being in a panel interview for a person that was supposed to be additional senior subordinate, and figuring out part way through that you were really on a panel that was interviewing for your replacement?

October 15 2012 at 7:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jayjan49

What is wrong with these cold-hearted employers?? No heart or soul!!

October 15 2012 at 7:03 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply