Target's New 'Amazing' Script For Training Employees Leaked

Target welcome to amazing training

Big corporations have long used relentlessly cheery speeches and other tools to motivate employees. But sometimes those efforts can come off as trite, childish and downright cheesy.

Target Corp., apparently, is no exception. As Gawker reports, the big-box retailer is rallying its employees to provide customers with an "amazing" shopping experience in Target's bid to take on Amazon.com, the online purveyor of everything from books to electronics to personal-care items.

Documents provided to Gawker from a purported source within Target might provide some insight into the "Five Weeks of Amazing" training program. It includes tips on how to provide customers with an "amazing" shopping experience, according to the documents reportedly supplied to store management (copies of which are in the gallery below).

During the first minute of the 20-minute presentation to employees, managers should emphasize the importance of service. Done "really, really well," the script reads, "service can drive sales and generate a lot of guest loyalty."

By encouraging employees to provide outstanding service, Target is hoping to do something Amazon can't: engage shoppers on a personal level. From the script: "Our stores are where guests can see what's new ... find inspiration ... and most of all, where they can our 'Expect More, Pay Less' brand promise come alive in series of memorable moments."

More: Seasonal Jobs: Top Companies Hiring For The Holidays

Further, the memo says Target's "great merchandise, cool displays, clean and bright stores [create a] wave of happiness that hits them when they walk through our doors."

The presentation also distinguishes between what Target calls "a moment" and "amazing." An example: "A moment is when we look up from what we're doing to say hi to the guest who just came down the aisle. Amazing is when she tells her husband how friendly everyone at Target is."

Having to cheerlead employees to provide "amazing" service might seem unexceptional, except -- as AOL Jobs recently reported -- getting a job at Target is about as easy as getting into Harvard University.

Target looks for specific qualities among its applicants, including "a friendly and upbeat attitude" -- seemingly desirable traits for workers whose mission it is to provide customers with "amazing" service. As a hiring manager for a soon-to-open San Francisco store told the San Francisco Chronicle, Target wants candidates with a "can-do attitude."

But a little extra training and encouragement, it seems, can't hurt.

And what does the Target source have to think about all of this "amazing" stuff? "They are really making a big deal about using the word AMAZING, [but] I'm not amazed."

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

chione5

I love Target...bright cherry shopping experience. I buy 90% of everything online, including dry-goods grocery items, but if i must go in a store, i better enjoy it and Target delivers that.

December 15 2012 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

the times I go to Target, I have been treated well. once the one person really went out of her way for me..

October 03 2012 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JOELY MARIE

I USE TO WORK FOR TARGET AND THEY PORTRAY WHAT THEY ARE NOT. IT SAD TO SAY I WAS LOYAL TO THEM BUT THEY ARE NOT AS LOYAL TO THEIR EMPLOYEES AS THEY SAY. AS A 5 WEEK TRAINING THATS A CROCK TAKE IT FROM ME THAT I WAS WHAT THEY CALL A GSTL (GUEST SERVICE TEAM LEADER) CUSTOMER SERVICE HAS ALWAYS BEEN AN ISSUE WITH THIS DAMN COMPANY

October 03 2012 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JEN

There is nothing weird or "amazing" about this story. This is called customer service. Maybe some of you have heard of it. Unfortunately it is a dying art!!

October 03 2012 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shut The Hell Up

I used to work for Target it was not all that great. As for for loyalty. HA HA Yeah ok

October 03 2012 at 1:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bill

I go to target all the time. The reason already is that their people are always so nice and helpful. Wal Mart has rude people that seem to care less about the customer. At Target they are always ready to help, as soon as a line builds up they are calling people to the front to knock down the lines. The stores are always clean, never a question if you return something,

October 02 2012 at 9:05 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Linda/MsGenhosp

Opps..wrong store..for some reason after reading the full article I'm thinking its about Wal-Mart. WRONG...LOL..Well at least everyone knows how I feel about WAL-MART.

October 02 2012 at 8:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda/MsGenhosp

OMG..I don't know why for some reason I thought this was about Wal-Mart. I don't know why I was thinking Wal-Mart...not Target.. Well..at least everyone knows what I feel about Wal-Mart...LOL..Oh..there is no local Target..so I have no comment about them.

October 02 2012 at 8:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rohrscheibcroh

i have worked from stockroom to customer service an applyed . never got a call to even interview.

October 02 2012 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda/MsGenhosp

I don't know WHAT Wal-Mart this article is about, because the Wal-Mart in my town sucks!. Most of the employees do NOT speak English, and the ones that DO..never know where anything is if you ask them. I've gone there only a handful of times because of these problems. I only go there out of desperation, when I can't find my item somewhere else, hoping Wal-Mart has it..and usually can't find it there and the employees, of course don't know WHAT I'm saying or talking about. Horrible, Horrible store.

October 02 2012 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply