1st-Grade Teacher Deanna Jump Earns $1 Million Selling Lesson Plans

How to reward good teachers -- and punish the bad -- is one of the most fraught issues in education. But now talented teachers can earn a bonus without going through unions or principals or politicians. On TeachersPayTeachers.com, they can sell their lesson plans, worksheets and quizzes for a few dollars -- dollars that can add up, at least in one case, to over a million.

Deanna Jump, a first-grade teacher from central Georgia, is TeachersPayTeachers' first millionaire, reports CNN. Big money certainly wasn't the reason Jump got into teaching 17 years ago. "Like probably 90 percent of the teachers in America, I was juggling bills," she told CNN. "Like, 'OK, I can pay the electricity bill this week, and I've got seven more days before they turn off the water.' "

Then three years ago, Jump joined TeachersPayTeachers. Since then, she's posted 60 items, including the best-selling gingerbread-man-themed activity packet, and amassed almost 18,000 followers. Many of her resources are free to download, and most cost less than $10. But with over 160,000 sales, the mother of three and grandmother of two has found herself snugly in the "1 percent."

TeachersPayTeachers is one of several start-ups transforming the teaching profession, reports TechCrunch. New edtech platforms not only help teachers collaborate; they also allow teachers to reward their especially innovative or hard-working colleagues. Kindergarten teachers "don't have the kinds of textbooks and materials available for grade-level teachers," Jump told San Francisco public TV station KQED last year, when her earnings were still in the six digits. "So I began creating my own."

More: High School Teacher Allegedly Posted Sexual Photos Of Students On Reddit's CreepShots

TeachersPayTeachers has generated $14 million in extra teacher pay since Paul Edelman, a former New York City public school teacher, founded it in 2006 -- and it's growing exponentially, spreading the best resources by the best teachers across the country, to the benefit of students, as well as educators with an entrepreneurial streak. With her extra earnings, Jump funded a scholarship at the private school her teenager attends, reported KQED.

Many teachers are struggling on their current salaries (an average of $55,000 a year, according to Randi Weingarten, the president of the American Federation of Teachers), taking on second jobs to pay the bills. According to a controversial report from the right-leaning Heritage Foundation, however, teachers are actually overpaid, because when they transition to the private sector, they usually take a pay cut.

But as Jump proves, teachers can win big in the free market. After all, 2.7 million Americans teach kindergarten through high school, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. And that's a lot of potential customers.

More From AOL Jobs

Kalin Bright

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncY8eanNCw EVERY KID needs to HEAR THIS!! ESPECIALLY OUR YOUNG MEN!!!! ENJOY!!

April 04 2013 at 3:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cilia.arellano

Wonderful, how can I join TeachersPayTeachers?

October 05 2012 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BR

I can only hope someone verifies that she re..ports it when filing her ta xes

October 05 2012 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to BR's comment
aidafraso86

^__^!!!!!
This is really a good post.
It make know more and help me a lots.
Thanks for sharing.
My website: http://isitdownjustforme.com/

October 03 2012 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gbryan8920

Great teachers know that learning never ends...sites like this inspire us to do more for our students. Anyone who has a problem with that is clearly not a teacher! These are not all lesson plans. They are called resources and you have to be a teacher to know "how" to use them effectively. I don't mind paying the small price for someone else's creativity. What is the difference in doing that and going to a school supply store and buying a book. Those books are written by teachers, too. If you think you are going to do great things by using the "Teacher Edition" your district purchases, you are sadly mistaken. I spend plenty of my own money purchasing things for my class. I am glad to see a fellow teacher doing well. BTW, the statement that teachers work part-time, have summers off, etc comments are lame. It still isn't 4 months as someone stated. This is a great career that many people choose so they can be with their own children during the summer, and we work hard to do that. It is great to have summers off, but we also never get a lunch "hour" or get off at 3. I know there are teachers that give this profession a bad name, but Deanna Jump is definitely not one of these. So sorry if you know a bad teacher...I am glad to see a good one recognized!

October 01 2012 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tenstar1

If teachers would start teaching about creation, I might feels she deserves this money. Darwins monkey theory is gone i will have no sorrow for teachers.

October 01 2012 at 7:17 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to tenstar1's comment
gbryan8920

Maybe you didn't watch the video...she teaches at a Christian school.

October 01 2012 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret Whisnant

I think you have the wrong centurym tenstar1.

December 01 2012 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SBI9009

Great job,now you made it,now pay most of it in on Obama's taxes.

October 01 2012 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SBI9009

Great job,now you made it,now pay most of it in on Obama's taxes.

October 01 2012 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SBI9009

Great job,now you made it,now pay most of it in on Obama's taxes.

October 01 2012 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bobi4kids1

I was pleased to read of another creative approach to life and sharing.
I realized as a wife married to a Sailor who was married to the military, my
Private career plans were a joke.
I have loved kids as long as I can remember. Some how they would be part of my life.
Maybe as an Elementary ART teacher I approached every art class as if I might want to teach the class. When he saw my attempt at making lesson plans, he shared the military lesson plan format . I wrote a lesson plan for each assignment, including space for ' self evaluation' and how I might do it next time.
My 3-D design professor was a super great instructor..When I turned in my work, He said,' we need to talk'.
Student bones quaking I thought, now What?
To my shock!. I heard," I have taught for almost 50 years and I have never written down my lesson plans I'll give you an "A" in my class IF YOU LET ME HAVE A COPY OF YOUR LESSON PLANS!! I gladly took the 'A'. Later, I learned why he wanted my lessons plans?.Now, he could have graduated student teach some of the lessons. So, I will vouch ' Lesson Plans' can indeed be of value.

October 01 2012 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply