MEC Employee's Angry Resignation Letter Goes Viral

Lots of workers like to sound off on their way out the door, but it's one thing to accuse your boss of being a lousy manager and quite another to accuse him of being anti-Semitic and of seducing a female colleague and then having sex with her in an office meeting room.

But that's exactly what a senior account manager at MEC Global in London did Tuesday in an email directed to the entire staff of the media agency. The email, simply titled "Leaving" (and shown in a redacted version above), soon found its way onto Twitter and went viral, after rival agencies got a hold of it.

Not since Greg Smith, the former Goldman Sachs employee who resigned in the editorial pages of The New York Times last March, has a worker's "I quit" salvo received quite so much attention.

The worker, who was employed at the firm for 2½ years, allegedly accused his boss of "ruining" his career, saying he had been worked so hard that it induced a "mental breakdown." The worker also alleged the manager was prejudiced against the disabled, citing an instance in which the manager referred to London's recently held Para Olympics as the "Spastic Olympics." Further, the employee alleges that the supervisor proclaimed to be proud of not having "a drop of Jewish blood in him," and that he regularly made sexist and other bigoted remarks.

More: 25 Resume Tips That Help Make A Great First Impression

The employee says that he decided to quit after 30 months of "loyal service" because, he says, his boss didn't pay him his bonus and gave him a verbal warning about poor job performance. Further, the employee said that his manager put him on probation after he returned from sick leave.

The employee said that having his performance allegedly criticized was particularly galling because the manager had persuaded him to stay on just a few months prior, offering him a substantial pay raise as incentive. It was the promotion, however, that led to his breakdown, the employee said in the email. "[I]nstead of welcoming me back and looking to make things rights, instead [he] attacked me and made me feel an outsider."

For its part, MEC issued this response from CEO Steve Hatch: "We are sad that one of our employees has chosen to share their personal views in such a public way and has left the company with such bad feeling. We are taking this issue seriously though given the highly personal nature of the email, we cannot comment further."

More: Surefire Ways To Blow A Job Interview

On Wednesday, a day after the email went viral, a blond MEC employee named was revealed as being the infamous interviewee, London's Daily Mail reports. But the 25-year-old Canadian native denied that she and the manager had sex. "I kissed him," the Mail quotes the woman as saying. Though the kiss may have been inappropriate, she said they had both been to a pub for informal job interview.

"It was a kiss in the foyer whilst waiting for taxis," she said. "We were both single at the time." The version of the letter shown above obscures the name of the boss and other employees to protect their privacy. A full version of the letter can be found here (via BusinessInsider).

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Dan Embody

I say resist that temptation to tell your boss one and for all what you really think of him (or her). No matter how justified you are (or think you are), not everyone in the world is going to see it from your point of view. And the channels of communication go far and wide.

And remember that you will still need your old boss for a reference. And if you bad mouth him/her, this may mean the difference between getting or losing an opportunity. And although your old boss can't put out false statements of fact, he can be as wrong as he wants to be in his own opinion. Or he simply say nothing at all, which is a message in itself.

So if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. The enemies you don't have are just as improtant as the friends you do.

November 23 2012 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay

This is such old news. I read this at the beginning of the week on AOL, must be a slow day in the news when you have to rerun something like this. AOL is really getting to be old! Why do they show so many videos. When you click on a headline hoping to read something important and all I get is a video that will not play for me. Some of us are unable to play videos because all we can get is dial up service. Sometime it seems like an important news story like one recently about a recall of childrens product, or an important medical news report. I never find out what it is bacause the video will not play. Come On AOL at least give us a written story along with the video. Maybe it is time to change to MSN.

September 29 2012 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Kay's comment
tleon12265

Kay, your comment is old news. I've read it twice already. Why do you feel the need to post it over and over? Are you one of those right-wing people who feel that if you repeat something over and over that people will finally believe it to be the truth? Stop already.

October 05 2012 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay

September 29 2012 at 9:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay

September 29 2012 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
prvrtbl1

could be o's letter of resignation

September 29 2012 at 6:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trooperl3

i work at a job where theres a lot of favortisim going on, to bad when you do your job and do it good and watch others waltz right past you because your liked more.

September 29 2012 at 6:32 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
maskedblogger

Good for him.

September 29 2012 at 5:55 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
deeladyluck66

kudos to him!!!!
I worked in a Doctors office and the same thing happened to me the Doctor punched me in my arm mentally abused me but I put up with her antics ! because I loved the job and the patients but bang 10 hours before going to work the doctor fired me reason was I was to compassionate !!!! and did not call the patients by their last name !!!
I wrote the letter in my head many many times but did nothing .So I praise him for the guts and he got the last laugh !!! LOL
One more thing at least he wrote is frustration and anger on paper and did not go shoot up the place ? !!

September 29 2012 at 5:39 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
Hi Art & Nan

Nan here. I didn't write a letter as the above employee did. I simply stapled my doctor's statement to my time card, wrote "I quit" on the card, punched out and walked out. (I'd been there 6 years and tolerated the verbal abuse because I needed to work and the area where I lived was rural and jobs were scarce). I DID sue, and provided so much proof of the abuse and dishonesty of my boss to the court that I got a phone call from my lawyer 3 days later that my EX boss agreed to settle for the amount I demanded! I had learned years before to document EVERYTHING, and I HAD! Found out some time later that my boss (the company owner) went out of business and left town! No regrets on this end, I'll tell ya!

September 29 2012 at 5:35 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply