7 Ridiculously Overpaid Government Workers

overpaid government workers, public sector workers

Most government jobs aren't glamorous. You don't usually get to jet around the world if you're working for, say, the Division of Zoning. But government jobs have at least been considered secure -- and as offering great benefits.

A report released earlier this year by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office revealed that the "majority of public employees" -- regardless of education -- earn more than those in the private sector. When you factor in benefits such as health insurance and pensions, it comes to a 16 percent difference (via DailyFinance).

The report marks the first of its kind for the CBO, but the comparable trend between the private and public sectors' wage differential has been growing since 2001. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average income in the private sector has grown $11,658 over that time to last year's total of $47,815. But for the public sector, the growth is more than double that, with the figure having risen $25,343 to last year's average salary of $75,296 for all government workers, according to the U.S. Office of Personnel Management.

Of course, at the same time, many of the prized public sector benefits are being chipped away -- and layoffs have been imposed by cash-strapped state governments, too. But still, while a large number of government workers are motivated primarily by serving the public, and might actually earn less than they could in the private sector, there are others -- from plumbers to executives -- who have wound up with surprisingly high-paying gigs. Some may have possibly used illegal means (and are awaiting trial). What do they all have in common? Their pay was footed by taxpayers, like you and me.

%Gallery-165585%

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

takesall

this is nothing compare to Those managerial and staff in the government. I happen to know a manager for a big city when I was a kid. His based salary was at 80K but the cut from contractors and companies altogether worth few times more. For instant: a seat cost $100 the lost for the city, he paid $800 each. computer cost 2K most at 8K ea. Go figure how much his net earning under table split? That very disturbing even a school boy work only in summer got his jaws drop. No wonder he bought houses and cotages and with a BMW.

March 18 2013 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay Bartgis

Okay. Half the people in these articles work 80 hour weeks. They're NOT overpaid. AT ALL. I want to see your ass work that hard 7 days a week.

February 17 2013 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ATF113

Wow I guess I better move back to N.Y. I\'m a state worker in C.O. and I\'m lucky to pull down 41,000.00

September 25 2012 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ATF113

September 25 2012 at 4:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ToyBox

It's shoddy journalism like this that makes people resentful of government workers--I don't know who the hell you interviewed for this, but I work for the state and I don't make anywhere near $75,296 a year. I don't even make $40,000 a year, and I have not gotten a raise in 4 years. No one has and no one will receive a pay raise for the foreseeable future, either. Most of those jobs featured in the slideshow are in New York or California--where everything is ridiculously expensive. And on the "great benefits," apparently you, sir, have never worked a day in your life for the government. Yes, my state health insurance covers nearly everything--but we pay through the nose for it, too. Taxpayers hardly foot the bill on this. In fact, health benefits are so expensive, I did not even enroll. I opted for my spouse's plan. Retirement benefits is only above average if you sign on for the long-term plan (i.e.: work for the governmental institution for longer than 10 years), otherwise, we get a choice of managed funds. Clearly this 16% higher pay comes from a few statistical outliers rather than the average plus one or two standard deviations. Furthermore, how dare you suggest our "pay" includes illegal **** a handful of crooks has done? Shame on you.

September 25 2012 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Always love the line about "you and I pay these people". Well guess what you private sector folks, they pay themselves. They are taxpayers, too. If you can claim sole responsibility for paying public sector employees, guess we can claim the same thing. As a retired military member, I have been discriminated against many times by private sector employers. It is common practice in the private sector to offer significantly less to military retireds job candidates because "you already have a retirement" so you don't need as much pay. I walked out on several interviews where this tactic was used. Unfortunately, too many allow this discrimination to flourish by accepting the lower pay.

I noticed that "military" is being used as one of the categories of the notorious Romney "47%" of Americans who don't pay taxes. The only military base pay I ever had excluded from income taxes was that earned in a combat zone.

September 25 2012 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AgDoc

Hold on a second. The first two examples involved people committing crimes, another involved "pay" in the form of indirect and largely unused benefits, another involved payment authorized under contracts that never should have been written in the first place, and the final two involved legitimate overtime put in by workers in critically understaffed positions. You want an example of obscenely overpaid parasites legally leaching off the system?? Consider all 435 members of Congress. Substantial salaries, free health/dental care, unlimited travel expenses, furnished/staffed offices provided, franking privileges, free meals, and a pension for life after serving only one term--not to mention unlimited opportunities for "networking" with lobbyists, fat personal appearance speaking fees, and the ability to vote yourself more raises and more perks any time you want. It's the Golden Rule in action--the ones with the gold make the rules. The rest of us pony up the dough.

September 25 2012 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AgDoc

September 25 2012 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cleveflame1

Huh, I always thought that "ridiculously overpaid" and "government worker" were synonomous.

September 25 2012 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The bbl is LIVE!

It is no surprise that these government workers are stealing taxpayer money (which is what all government employees are doing, whether they realize it or not). We need to cut spending and reduce the deficit, and what better way to cut some fat than a round of layoffs and a reduction of the federal workforce. No severance pay, no extended benefits, and force those laid off to pay some of what they earned during their employment back to the taxpayers. It's time that these leeches feel the pain of what is happening in the real world outside of DC. Cut their jobs and cut their pay.

September 25 2012 at 8:11 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to The bbl is LIVE!'s comment
clark8642

The seven jobs all involved local government not federal government so your federal workforce cuts miss the boat. But take heart. With the sequester, the number of federal employees will drop by about ten percent in one year, primarily from defense Department cuts.

September 25 2012 at 9:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply