Best Jobs For Introverts And Extroverts

best jobs for introverts extroverts

By Susan Ricker

A job interview is usually the time when an employer gets to know the job candidate's personality to see if he's the right fit for the job. But what if you could choose a job that's the right fit for your personality?

A recent CareerBuilder study reveals the positions that are better suited for introverts and extroverts. While extroverts tend to be enthusiastic, talkative, assertive and gregarious, introverts tend to be more reserved and less outspoken in groups. Though these characteristics aren't the only factors in choosing a job, it can help to know what kind of role you could be best suited for. The study found that extroverts were more likely to report being in management roles -- 22 percent compared with 18 percent of introverts. "The data does indicate that extroverts may be better suited for higher-level positions, many of which involve a lot of collaboration and public speaking," says Rosemary Haefner, vice president of human resources at CareerBuilder. "But that doesn't mean an introvert can't still rise high in a company. It may be the case that many of the respondents began as introverts and gradually became more extroverted as the situation demanded."

When it comes to salary, the two personality types are on equal footing: Both extroverts and introverts were almost equally likely to earn six figures.

Want to know what job may be right for you? If you're outgoing or social, consider the types of roles to which extroverts are drawn. Or, if you tend to be more withdrawn or reserved, check out the positions that introverts tend to choose.

Types of roles extroverts are drawn to:

Types of roles introverts are drawn to:

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Eric Barnes

Teachers are not introverts! They talk all the time! This list is pretty crappy

March 13 2013 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fan Huicang

its important to everyone ,the job interview would get to know the job candidate's personality and whether she is fit for it , i ever did see this at www.rsporder.com ,it is good suggestion for us thanks

October 30 2012 at 9:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
plass4010

I won't try to speak for everyone,but I am an introvert which means you don't care for group activity and tire of it very quickly.You prefer working alone on challenging subjects and projects requiring lots of thought,specific knowledge,detail work. .I got a law degree and tried the private practice and it was a very poor choice of careers for me.Nothing but talking,interacting with others in the general practice.Unless you do nothing but land title work or appeals work,probates,bankruptcy,it just left me drained and feeling I was working against myself. However a law degree, is a very good education.I agree pharmacy seems more suited to introverts.Now I am very much interested in auto mechanics,building hot rods,science.I wish I had known all this a lot earlier.

September 22 2012 at 1:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to plass4010's comment
Hey You

I'm an introvert was in law school but only to study patents was not interested in being any other kind of lawyer, but contract law has come in handy . I was also an entertainer, while I was gifted musically I found it painful to be in the front of an audience, quit to garden, work on patents, care give children, later drove a truck cross country. So I think they have lawyer because of the amount of reading and researching , not because of the having to be in the public. Wish I could be more extroverted but it does not work well for me.

September 22 2012 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
irish89055

It should have said best job if you're an ILLEGAL !!!

September 22 2012 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
irish89055

It should have said best job if you're an ILLEGA !!!

September 22 2012 at 1:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kathl

Not sure I'd trust a company that says doctors, lawyers and teachers are introverts....

September 22 2012 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deb

**** everyone

September 22 2012 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
barbroxursox

Introverts become lawyers? hmmm i don't think so but I could be wrong. Also I'm an introvert and I'm interested in becoming a pharmacist, so clearly this isn't necessarily universally true.

September 22 2012 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERLIN

in my life i have worked jobs on the ex and the in list what does that make me?

September 22 2012 at 12:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MERLIN's comment
romanticpoz

Normal

September 22 2012 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Wes

Hmmm....seems to me the accountant and teacher positions should be flipped.

September 22 2012 at 8:37 AM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Wes's comment
renlit

I agree

September 22 2012 at 11:08 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
austin.chase

i agree. that doesnt make sense at all. lol

September 22 2012 at 12:20 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply