Employers More Likely To Hire Criminal Than Long-Term Unemployed [Infographic]

criminal hiring long-term unemployed

Employers have been open about their disdain for the unemployed -- some companies even specify in ads that they will only consider candidates who already have jobs. But according to a new survey, companies would sooner hire a worker convicted of a misdemeanor than the long-term unemployed.

Bullhorn, a maker of recruiting software, conducted an anonymous survey of 1,500 recruiters and hiring managers, and the recruiters admitted that it was easier for them to "place someone with a criminal record (non-felony) in a new job than it is to place someone who has been unemployed for two years or more." Roughly 1 in 3 said that being employed more than six months or a year can make it hard to get hired. And 17 percent of the respondents said that being unemployed for even less than six months would still make it "difficult to place someone in a job."

But as much as employers look down on the unemployed, they apparently dislike job hoppers even more, according to this survey. Thirty-nine respondents said that the "single biggest obstacle" to employment is having a history of ditching companies before one year of service; 31 percent viewed long-term unemployment as the biggest obstacle.

Want to know more of what recruiters are thinking? Read the infographic below.

long-term unemployed job hopping

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Elaine Edford

If anyone deserves being unemployed, it is stupid recruiters like those in this story. No wonder so many companies have financial troubles. They are wasting their money on idiots like this.

October 15 2012 at 1:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gjohnso627

It humorous to read what employers are looking for. they feel that folks with professional degrees who have unemployed over 1-2 yrs are not employable? They would rather hire a criminal? For a minimum wage job they can keep it. Unless Im offered what I am worth I dont even bother. All this BS on jobs is laughable. Folks that are over 50 with education, work ethics, experience are being over looked and discriminated against. Keep in mind that many of these unemployed are in states that practice will to work and can be fired for no reason. There no protections for these workers. SOOOOOOO to say that being fired is a taboo isnt enough for me and im sure isnt enough for many that have experienced this.

September 19 2012 at 11:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lori279187

The part that really cracks me up (not really) is where if you have been unemployed for awhile, under 6 months is too long (!), that you no longer have job skills. Huh? 1) In under 6 months your ENTIRE field has changed drastically! Uh-huh. 2) (For the longer unemployed) Like no one reads to keep up on things, or takes classes, or has a temp job here or there in their field, right?! It's just another way to say, "You've gotten older and we think you're worthless."

September 19 2012 at 9:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

it is not always job hopping.. it is at times due to child birth or being in the military family. being in school, or yes laid off, or like I hear, you go home to tend to family.. which I have done and it was a big mistake.. we are not all job hopping.. or lazy or otherwise...

September 19 2012 at 8:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
pj512

I really should not read these stupid stories. I mean, how low can you go? I have been unemployed for a long time, but it wasn't my fault I lost my job, nor is it my fault that I can't find one. The one thing I like about being unemployed is that I don't have to work for any psychos.

September 19 2012 at 7:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
neoretro10k

Hey, employers:
Can you say "unreasonable"? How about "Catch-22"?

September 19 2012 at 6:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Camille

Why would a corporation hold something like that against a person? They were unemployed and it was not their fault. If any CEO is reading this, rethink your strategy. Those people want to work and have a steady pay check. They do have families or themselves to support.

September 19 2012 at 6:40 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
toddisit

That type of thinking is one reason why we are no longer considered the greatest country, just another country.

With the job market being the way it is and the wages being the way they are, nobody should have a real issue with hiring anyone that has not worked in some time. That is more "blame the employee" and nobody else. Not getting where this country is going other than down the tubes.

September 19 2012 at 6:27 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
racetrked

YEA SURE I`VE WORKED FOR OVER 30 YEARS DOING THE SAME JOB, ENDEDED UP WITH A FELONY BUY HELPING A FRIEND TO GET SOME PILLS FOR HIMSELF. NOT TO BE RESOLD MIND YOU. THIS WAS FOR HIM, NOW I CANNOT GET A JOB. BECAUSE I`M A 74 YEAR OLD FELON. WHAT I LOST AND WHAT IT COST ME IS BEYOUND BELIEF. PROBABLY MY SPELLING IS OFF ALSO. KINDA FRUSTRATED RIGHT NOW. I WAS BETRAYED BY A LAWYER , AND THE SYSTEM. SOMETIMES YOU FEEL YOUR BETTER OFF OUT OF THIS WORLD. I SPENT MY IFE PAYING TAXES AND WORKING. NOW MOST OF WHAT I HAVE IS GONE. AND YOU GET NO 2ND CHANCE. .

September 19 2012 at 4:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
disemail6

So.... the more desperate a person becomes, the less chance they have.... that sounds like America... ha ha

September 19 2012 at 2:08 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply