Telemarketer Makes Bomb Threat After Homeowner Hangs Up, Police Say

Telemarketer makes bomb threat

Lots of homeowners get frustrated by unsolicited phone calls from salespeople trying to sell them something that they don't want. But it appears it was a telemarketer's turn to let off steam last week, after he allegedly threatened to blow up the house of a Mead, Colo., homeowner who turned down the offer of some money he'd supposedly won.

"The homeowner was not interested and hung up the phone," Sgt. Tim Schwartz of the Weld County Sheriff's Office told KMGH-TV in Denver. Undeterred, the telemarketer called right back, Schwartz said, "and got pretty rude, telling the homeowner, 'I've placed a bomb in your house.' "

The threat prompted the homeowner to call 911, and led to an evacuation of nearby homes while the victim's home was searched. Authorities found nothing.

The homeowner, who declined to be identified, told KMGH, "I think the call came from overseas. He had a very thick accent."

A neighbor, Elaine Stanchfield, who had to evacuate her home, said that she couldn't believe what had happened. "It was like, 'Oh my God! A bomb threat.' "

Stanchfield said that she thinks telemarketers "are a big pain," because they don't stop calling even after you ask them to. "But to go to those lengths to actually threaten someone is just ridiculous," she said.

More: 7 Part-Time Jobs That Pay Up To $40 An Hour

Nationwide, nearly 300,000 workers are employed as telemarketers, also known as telephone sales representatives, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Such jobs don't pay particularly well -- about $11 an hour on average, or about $22,500 annually. The majority of telemarketers -- 89 percent -- are either high school dropouts or hold only a high school diploma.

BLS data suggest that few telemarketers would likely define their jobs as secure, well paid or offering good working conditions. Further, the job can be stressful, involving lots of "cold calling" and rejection from customers who aren't interested in the products or services being sold.

Though this incident is alarming, such threats from telemarketers are exceedingly rare, Sgt. Schwartz told KMGH, adding that authorities may never discover the telemarketer's identity.

"It's completely out of the ordinary," Schwartz said. "I don't know how to explain it. They're just pretty pushy I guess."

Should the telemarketer's identity become known, the actions of law enforcement will depend on where the call originated. If the call was made in the U.S., an arrest warrant will be issued, Schwartz said.

But if it's determined that the call came from outside the country, the FBI will be alerted to the threat.

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Lillian

I think Telemarketers are a scurge of our lives. They (the telemarketer) has called your number, and, it is up to you to either listento their speal, or say I am not interested, and if they fail to take that advice, the only other resource is to hang up the phone. I guess our only resource is to either let the phone ring until they hang up, or develope a device to put the receiver into that holds a message recorded by either themself, or a canned one they can use, and the receiver of the call can go about their business, just not use the telephone for a half hour, or hour at least..

February 16 2014 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cjcfleur

I do not waste my minutes, I tell them "not interested" and I hang up. What sort of sicko starts talking to them about their mother and a donkey, or keeps them on the line so they don't bother other folks? The more I hear from people the more I think my cats are much smarter.

September 08 2012 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wolverineent

One real nice thing about the FACT that they called you, is that (as long as you don't threaten them or other illegal speech) you can really go wild on the insulting verbal abuse to them.Just go crazy on your impersonation of The Dice Man, inquire about the 3-way they did with their mother and a donkey, and generally relieve stress having fun seeing what it takes to get them to hang-up. If you are on the do-not-call list, they block caller i.d., or as soon as you tell them you are not interested and they persist- they are in violation of f.c.c. regulation and they are fair game. DO NOT feel sorry for them any more than you would any other CRIMINAL. BUT, do NOT call them back, as that would then be an obscene call if you said anything that was not-nice.

September 07 2012 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rickcraft55

So happy that this man knew the scams many of these telemarketers are using. I bet he was not the first person that day that knew it was a scam and hung up. These thieves steal plenty from the unsuspecting and the uninformed.

September 05 2012 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
chrsaldrid

Telemarketing should be banned, because we know it's all a scam, nothing more.

September 05 2012 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
greenfinpopfish2

I understand that telemarketers are trying to make a living as well, but this kind of behavior can not be tolerated. They need to be able to trace these callers somehow. And when a threat is made to this nature, the telemarketer should be arrested for terroristic threat and sent to prison.

September 05 2012 at 9:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dedndogyrs

Send money to get money? A person has to be an idiot to fall for this one. You don't buy money; it's as simple as that.

September 05 2012 at 6:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharcrab5

I am a telemarketer and have been since 1986, I have supported my family doing this. I have never lied to someone about my products, usually windows and siding and have worked for the same company since 1986 until the last 5 years I went part time due to my husband dying, the owner is a man of his word and isn't out to steal from people. The company that called this family has called me and yes it is a heavy accent and they more or less did the same thing to me. I didn't call the police but they hinted they knew where I lived and would be driving by anytime. I told them to come on over, I live out in the country and believe in guns too is the exact words I used. They wouldn't quit calling me (at least 7 times) not all telemarketers are bad. I think the number these people are calling from is Jamica kingston, is what my call id says at least. TO Charles000, just because someone calls and asks you if you are interested in a product doesn't mean they are a loser. I work hard, treat people good, and still keep in touch with some that I have dealt with over the years, went through cancer with them or a family deaths, they have called me and just wanted to talk. so before you judge people that you don't know think again. Yes there are scam artists out there and that is sad but it is no different than selling cars or anything else. I have had many people tell me they enjoyed talking to me and were very impressed with the way I can communicate with them and listen. I have trained new employees for my company, and always told them we are calling people and we treat them like we want to be treated, the employees were not the scum of the earth, mainly women trying to take care of their children. I didn't have to many men work there but I never had a problem like drugs, stealing or anything else with them. People need to understand if it sounds too good then it probably is. Sad but a fact of life. sorry this was so long but a lot of you are being unfair to the good ones.

September 05 2012 at 6:12 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
gordonmacwilliam

"homeowner who turned down the offer of some money he'd supposedly won" This was not a telemarketer, but a scam artist. There may be a fine line, but there is still a difference.

September 05 2012 at 6:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
traversp117

A similar thing happened to my 90 year old mother last year. The telemarketer threatened her with bodily injury. Even though we had the telephone number (which originated in the Bahamas) of the people calling every agency we contacted said there was nothing they could do about it. Nice, huh?

September 05 2012 at 5:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply