Do American Workers Need More Vacation Time?

Americans vacation time workIf you're like most Americans, you probably feel like Labor Day snuck up on you. That's because you spent most of the summer working -- or looking for work. The majority of American workers don't use up all their vacation time, most of them leaving an average of 11 days on the table, according to one survey (via CNNMoney).

Workers give a variety of reasons for not taking vacation time, ranging from "I can't afford it" to "I have too much work." But it's worth pointing out that U.S. employers are stingy when it comes to vacation time, at least compared to European countries. How much vacation time do you think employers should give? Why do you think so many workers don't take vacation? Take a look at the infographic below from Rasmussen College, and share your thoughts in the comments section below.

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Elisen

I'll tell you why I don't take most of my vacation, even though I only get 5 days a year. My manager won't approve the time off. Unless your vacation time bank has reached it's cap and you can't accrue anymore time off she will simply email you back saying "I'm sorry this time is unavailable for vacation because ...." and "I strongly encourage you bank for vacation time for a rainy or sick day." Since employers in the US are not required by law to give you vacation time there's little that can be done about it.

May 05 2014 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emma

I think a good vacation time off (http://www.replicon.com/time-off) software would solve many of your purposes if your business uses it. It would help to easily track time off as per policies and manages time off schedules and balances.

September 11 2012 at 3:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WOLF

The only people I know that get alot of vacation time is the couple living in the white house

September 06 2012 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darrell

Unless you work for the Government your not going to get 28 days like GB

September 06 2012 at 7:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Smell the Roses

To those who don't take vacation because of the money, do what I do: I just take Stay Vacations. Fortunately, my employer lets us take a day at a time, so I will extend weekends by a day by taking a Monday or a Friday off. I take all of Thanksgiving week off every year as well as all of Christmas week.

September 05 2012 at 11:28 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Smell the Roses

September 05 2012 at 11:28 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
w

peeps, ...... do YOU really think the Corporate Accountant CARES about you and yours ?? its all about the GOLD ! the less they HAVE TO give YOU the more they can Give themselves.. Dog eat Dog capitalism! EVERYBODY wants M O R E . GREED is HELL!!!

September 05 2012 at 11:26 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
BankerGolfer

What a pretentious and insensitive article by the author.

Americans NEED more JOBS.

If some Americans need more vacation time, then they can QUIT their jobs and GIVE them to those who WANT TO WORK.

September 05 2012 at 10:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to BankerGolfer's comment
Smell the Roses

Actually the two things go together. Because of increasing productivity, we need fewer hours of work to produce what we produced in the past. There are two ways to go with this, produce more stuff that we don't really need, or just have everybody work fewer hours. That gives more people jobs and allows people to have more time off. You only get one life--you should try to enjoy it.

September 05 2012 at 11:30 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
G8R GRL

How about you have the vacation time but the employer doesn't approve the time off

September 05 2012 at 5:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to G8R GRL's comment
Chuck Butane

Sounds like you work for one of those people....who are they....Corporations!!!

September 05 2012 at 10:29 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
brennemanbelkin

I get three weeks but I'd gladly take a fourth unpaid.
Anything to get out of that snakepit.

September 05 2012 at 5:07 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply