Toledo Worker, Brandon Stuard, Buys Billboard, 'Please Hire My Wife'

billboard hire wife When times are high, a husband may shower his wife with jewelry, furs and perfumes. But when times are hard, a husband may need to get a little more creative with his gift-giving -- like plastering his spouse's face on a billboard, with an appeal to passing motorists to "Please Hire My Wife."

Brandon Stuard decided to do something dramatic after watching his wife of eight years grow increasingly frustrated with her job search, reports Fox Toledo. Holly Stuard's position as MBA program manager at the University of Toledo was eliminated a year ago due to budget cuts, and since then she's been wiling away her days on LinkedIn and Indeed.com, monitoring job alerts at her favorite organizations, and crafting and recrafting her resume. Sometimes she scored a second and even a final round interview, but never a job offer.

So Stuard, a deputy sheriff, secretly turned his wife's resume into two billboards for a week. The venture cost around $700, but he says that he suspects the two companies that he worked with gave him a little bit of a discount. Holly Stuard's face now hangs above downtown Toledo and the West Toledo neighborhood, along with a summary of her credentials -- MBA, business experience, academic experience -- a contact email address, and the phrase, "a great fit."

Holly Stuard knew nothing about it until her husband drove her across town for dinner at their favorite Mexican restaurant, a route that passed right by the billboard of her face.

"At first I was a little embarrassed. That's more attention than I normally draw to myself," Stuard told AOL Jobs. "But when it really sunk in, I thought it was creative and thoughtful, and he was trying to help me."

More: 10 Cities That Lost The Most Jobs

Stuard says that her husband loves to surprise her, but that this "is on a whole new level."

Stuard's dream is to lead the training and development for an organization, and help it maximize the potential of its employees. Most of the messages so far to the hiremywife@yahoo.com email address have been well-wishing strangers, but a few have sent along tips of a company that's hiring. No concrete leads yet, though.

Job-seeker billboards have found success in the past, however. In May, 23-year-old Bennett Olson splashed his smile on a billboard in downtown Minneapolis with the entreaty, "Hire Me!" and was soon hired by a 3-D scanning company. And senior manager Mark Heuer blew up his face on a highway billboard near Milwaukee, Wis., in 2009, urging passers-by to visit his website Mark4Hire.com. The response from companies, he said, was "overwhelming."

The difference with Brandon Stuard's ploy is that it isn't for himself. It's a husband, tired of helplessly sitting by as his wife struggled. "It's been really frustrating for me, watching her be frustrated," he told AOL Jobs. And while a job offer might not come out of it, "if it puts a smile on her face, it's good enough for me."

More From AOL Jobs

skipmiddleton

Well done Brandon - a roll of the dice and a look outside of the box! And a great, supportive and loving gesture for the wife. Applause from me!

May 29 2013 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gludington

Magnificent!! Husbands out there, take note!! Brilliant move - intelligently done, too: email reply addy but no name to assure security. BRAVO!

September 04 2012 at 2:26 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
brandon.stuard

i typed that really fast. just shows how much smarter holly is than me :)

September 01 2012 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
brandon.stuard

thank you aunt tonya. let me start by saying my wife by far the most intelligent individuals i have had the honor of knowing. Relocating is a very touchy situation. Ive been in my career for 12 years now and am not nearly as marketable as she is. Plus our daughter is a sophomore in high school and if possible, i would like to let her finish at the school she started in. now wally, your responding to a story that has gone viral and made its way to anderson cooper, katie courik, and ellen. i guess my question to you is, was this really a waste? even if nothing comes of this, it has lit up Hollys face light a christmas tree. It has given her new energy with her job search. that alone is well worth $700 to me. Swimdude, having a difficult time finding employment in todays economy is hardly a flaw. when you see your wife suffering psychology because she is feeling like shes failing, you do everything in your power to help. If a billboard is grounds for divorce, then your marriage sucked to begin with. in the end, this was for my wife who i support with everything i have. now you have heard it from the horses mouth. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, the only problem is, it doesnt affect me or my marriage in any way. God Bless

September 01 2012 at 7:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to brandon.stuard's comment
gludington

Brandon, Brandon! The world needs a lot more men like you - Holly is one blessed chick, for sure. If I'm ever speeding in Toledo and you pull me over, don't be surprised if I jump out of the car and give you a hug. ;-D

September 04 2012 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dsaxer

Great job Brandon! I too, am in your wife's situation in the NY City/NJ area, with an MBA. Nice to see people in relationships care about each other. I hope all works out for Holly!

September 04 2012 at 6:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tonya.demoe

Sounds like a lot of people are jealous - gonna run their mouth about what she has or has not been doing in her job search. They are jealous because they have no one who cares enough to have the love and imagination it takes to come up with something that is both effective and creative. Good luck Holly!

September 01 2012 at 10:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Ronald Tucker

Mrs.Stuard, with her credentials should seriously consider relocation...if relocation is not an option she should take inventory of her skills and identify the ones that are transferable to another career in the huge business industry.

August 31 2012 at 11:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ronald Tucker

Mrs. Stuard should seriously consider relocating.

August 31 2012 at 11:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sylvie

I think it was sweet. I want a follow-up on this story. I hope it works for her!!

August 31 2012 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wallysdad1

I meant stamps lol

August 31 2012 at 4:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wallysdad1

$700 for a week on the billboard? That would cover a lot of stmaps to send resumes out and gas to travel looking for work. I wish I had an extra $700 to blow on something as stupid as this was. MOST unemplyed have to use their money to travel for looking for work, they do not advertise to "hire me" !!

August 31 2012 at 4:55 PM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to wallysdad1's comment
dsaxer

Most unemployed do not use stamps or travel to seek work. This is a world of the internet. Most employers only accept resumes and cover letters via email or on web sites of their companies. $700 for a week on a billboard reaches tons of people sitting in traffic on a busy road.

September 04 2012 at 6:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply