Yesterday I got the feedback from the recruitment agent regarding my interview for a Facilities Assistant role, and it was something like this: "You didn't get the role, they said you are very pleasant but you would suit more for a Facilities Coordinator role"
At the interview I was asked around 4 questions, not the most relevant in my opinion, I asked 3 questions, and the rest of the time they were trying to sell themselves as a company...I even got a tour.
I don't understand these people, they seem so nice, smile and be so fake. They had my CV, they called me for an interview, why waste more time that they had allocated for my interview if they thought I won't fit the role.

February 04 2014 at 10:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Hunt, PE

Interestingly, I also just posted an essay on "overqualified".

December 26 2013 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Hello JT, I was expecting to see "age discrimination" on your list..I recently was on a search panel for an advisor position at private university..the hiring manager plus his staff were all in their 20's and early 30' when we came across a candidate who was decades older than the manager himself and possessed all the experience that went along with it, we didn't end up even giving the candidate an interview because 1.) we thought he/she would soon look at other (often faculty) positions in the school, 2.) it'd be hard to see this seasoned professional taking orders from a much younger man, and 3.) we were skeptical that the elder candidate would be open to new ideas and/or be willing to change professional habits...if that's not age discrimination that i don't know what is!
a similar example, yet hypothetical, is i see my father in his early retirement looking to work on a part-time basis..he's a big tech guy so has entertained the idea of working at Best Buy..however, we both share the assumption that Best Buy, if presented with my father's candidacy and another's, say a fresh-out-of-college twenty-something, the company would lean towards hiring the younger and perhaps more energetic individual who's thrilled to earn his/her first paycheck. all of this coincides with your message that employers discriminate.

December 17 2013 at 11:14 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Greg's comment

While I'm sure age discrimination does happen (someone being rejected based on nothing more than the year of their birth) I think most of the time it's as article points out, for a genuine concern they have. Just because someone needs a job and is "willing" to do it, doesn't mean that they actually want the job. The last thing I'd want to do is take on someone who for whatever reason (age, experience, qualifications, perceived superiority) will feel dissatisfied in the role, not be excited by the it or be looking out for something better from day 1.

I regularly receive applications from people who are applying for "entry level"roles when they have decades of experience and are clearly "over qualified" but they're trying to convince me that this just what they're looking for. Unfortunately they forget that they've also applied to my colleagues for roles paying triple that of my role......

I think people often use discrimination to excuse why they're rejected for a role. My best advice is to only apply for roles you genuinely want to do and can justify/explain your reasons for wanting it.

January 06 2014 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I don't think so is just means because you are too old. I was told I was overqualified when I was 25. I had a master's degree by the time and had already more than 6 years of experience. So it is not a matter just of age. It think so too that it is a matter that many managers are in their mid-life's and they don't want to loose their jobs to something more qualified, they feel threatened, at least in my experience. You can have a great attitude, be so nice, etc. Yet, they don't hire you.

December 13 2013 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

The only time I've heard this, I'm pretty sure that they meant "you're too old."

December 13 2013 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Antonio Ierano

well you could add a 10th reason: "you're way too old, but i will never tell you.".

December 13 2013 at 7:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Simple if you have a proven verifiable and documented track record regardless if you had a bad day on some of the items listed as reason especially maybe after 2 rounds where the company can see more of your personality to remove some of the 'fitting in and personality" reasons and they still didn't select you then consider it a blessing. You don't wont to work for them unless you are starving.

December 12 2013 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I believe there are many more possible reasons to that particular rejection. Recruiters and hiring managers lie to job candidates all the time. As candidate, you will rarely ever get an honest answer. I have been interviewing for many jobs and received tons of rejections. In about 95% of the cases, I see the "we move forward with another candidate that matches the requirements more closely" and the other 5% are rude, insulting, and just dumb answers (if any answer comes back at all).
What I also experienced over the last 9 years of going through 300+ interviews (phone and in person), the candidate's worst enemy is actually not the candidate themselves, but rather the recruiter and company policies. I wish this was different, but recruiters are just not in the position to recognize a qualified candidate. Most qualified candidates fall through the "grid" just because most of those numb nuts don’t recognize a specific skill, don’t know industry terms or have issues understanding the candidate’s answer in an interview. Others keep looking for a certain key word that just isn't on the resume.
I have seen so much BS, from getting answers that don't make any sense, to being laughed at, to getting ushered out of the meeting room, to being insulted regarding my prior experience. Applying for jobs that are posted online at various career portals, professional networking sites, or even social networking sites, is not the way to get an offer. There is only one way to get that job. You need to be either well acquainted with the hiring manager, or at least know someone who is a close friend of the hiring manager and is willing to do them a favor by hiring you. Period!
Another example that might raise some eye brows is when I was strung along for over a year. After a lengthy interviewing process, an offer was in the works, but the company hit a hiring freeze before I was able to receive and accept it. For about a year now, the hiring manager had told me that he would love to have me on his team and kept me under the impression that once the job reopens he will resume the process. Although, the job was indeed reapproved later this year, I was surprised when the job was publicly re-advertised. I then found out that they started the interviewing process again with new candidates. Not only did I understand that they tried to find someone better out there, but it also showed that they breached the trust we had built. Sometimes, we have to face the fact that we as job candidates are treated like second and third choice merchandise. With this, that company and also the manager have shown their real picture, and I realized that this is not a place I would want to work after all.

December 12 2013 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to bn.1's comment

My best comment ofr overqualified of all time was this:

"I think you are overqualified. Hell I know you are overqualified because your credentials are better than those of the VP I report too. The fact is I am literally tasked with finding someone to just hit the keyboard and not ask questions - both tasks I believe would lead you to be bored and I know you would ask questions. Since this job is notoriously a dead end position, I think in your case I would be looking to refill the position within 6 months."

After hearing that (and suppressing my building anger inside) I just said "Well umm thanks". and hung up the phone. The absolute worst part was this 'boring' job paid about 20K more than what I was making...

December 12 2013 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply