Ex-Assistant Sues Real Estate Broker Jack Terzi For Alleged Abuse, Urinating On His Clothes

Being a personal assistant can be humbling work: fetching coffee, scheduling appointments, carefully monitoring and responding to the swinging moods of your boss. But the former assistant of a New York real estate broker claims that his working conditions were downright abusive, from brutal fines to bodily fluids, reports New York's Daily News. In a lawsuit filed with the state Supreme Court, he's seeking over $5 million in damages.

Jack Terzi hired Albert Sultan, 24, soon after Terzi founded his company in 2009. A seven-year veteran of the industry at that point, Terzi (pictured above) was known as brash and risk-taking. After all, he started his own firm, JTRE, as the housing market was imploding.

"It's about making 1,000 calls a day and not accepting rejection," he told Crain's New York Business, a month after he opened the company's doors. But according to the lawsuit, Terzi dumped a lot of that work on the shoulders of his underlings, and Sultan in particular.

Sultan's contract required that he work 12-hours a day, five days a week, plus 26 Sundays per year, according to the lawsuit. There allegedly were no sick days or vacation time, and he would be fined $15 for every minute he was late in the morning, $30 for every minute he left early, and $1,000 for every Sunday shift that he skipped.

More: 10 Highest Paying Entry-Level Jobs

But the reality was far worse, Sultan claims. Not only was he cheated out of six months of wages, as well as $129,320 in commissions, but he alleges that his boss showered him with insults, like "f***ing idiot" and "piece of s***," as well as objects, such as a shoe, a stapler and a pair of scissors. Sultan also claims that Terzi repeatedly sneezed on him "in a contemptuous fashion," physically assaulted and bit him, and once urinated on a piece of his clothing in front a third party.

Terzi's attorney contends that the accusations in Sultan's lawsuit are completely unfounded. In a countersuit, Terzi accuses his former assistant of stealing confidential information and gathering up clients and deals before quitting on June 12 to launch his own company.

"In an attempt to distract the court from his wrongdoing, Mr. Sultan has responded with a baseless and personal attack on Mr. Terzi," said an attorney from the law firm of Sills Cummis & Gross.

More: 9 Most Secure Jobs In America

State Supreme Court Justice Charles Ramos will hear the warring parties on Aug. 23 -- just the latest high profile case in which a personal assistant faced off against a boss over alleged abuse. Among other recent ones:

Lady Gaga's former personal assistant sued the singer's touring company in December 2011 for $380,000 in unpaid overtime and unspecified damages, claiming that she had no breaks for meals -- and, sometimes, sleep -- because of the oppressive demands of her superstar boss.

And in July, Courtney Love's former assistant filed a lawsuit, claiming that the musician fired her after the assistant complained about thousands that she was owed in unpaid wages.

These lawsuits can sometimes end in big payouts. When the former assistant of Tommy Lee, the drummer of heavy metal band Motley Crue, sued his old boss for defamation and unpaid wages, among other things, he won a settlement of $400,000, as well as a public apology.

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story at one point confused the names of the parties in case, saying that Sultan's attorney contends that the accusations in former assistant's lawsuit are unfounded, and that Sultan had filed the countersuit.

More From AOL Jobs

Rusty Spitfire

If any of this is true, and it was me, this guy would have been bleeding after about five minutes.

August 15 2012 at 7:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kitten

Another point....you CANNOT trust the boss who disrespects you in front of others....the supert. makes out
like a solid rock and then goes to the opposite end of the spectrum and says catty remarks in front of the
boss just to make me look stupid.....I just laugh and roll my eyes at this person.....THAT button hasnt been
pushed YET......ha ha ha ! Oh yeah ! Its coming though......

August 14 2012 at 9:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kitten

Gotta love all of it ! Lesson to the young. My final boss screamed like a girlie man one day and I leaned over his desk and said SHUT up and NEVER yell at ME again ! I think he shat in his shorts ! That was the
line in the sand....he now shows me respect....we banter back and forth and I dont take crappie remarks
nor do I show up late and I do extra work with NO regrets! You have to be happy where you work !

August 14 2012 at 9:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Daisy

If SUltan was cheated out of money, SUE THE BASTERD!!!!! sic.
if he took the abuse and let it happen, he is as bad as the ashole he 'worked' for.

August 14 2012 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MRandolph

My boss of eight yers was in the "closet" so to speak (angry married bisexual). In his late 50s to early 60s he simply wanted to "dominate" other professional men, especially those more than 20 years younger (me). He wrecked careers, stole credit for our work, bullied his way through every day, etc., etc.

Words cannot describe how we dismantled his career from a distance, nor can I begin to say what we are doing to this guy (he left our workplace 1-year ago), his home, and family on a regular basis. I have at least eight more years of revenge and making things even. Others and I will wreck this guy's life 10-fold until he's truly sorry for abusing his position all those years. Got that tyranical bosses? Whether you believe it or not, people get even.

August 14 2012 at 7:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to MRandolph's comment
RR4USA

you sound like a very sad individual. forgive and move on. every day you hang on to what this guy has done to you is another day he has power over you.

August 14 2012 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to RR4USA's comment
ryanhoover

Clearly he was a monster. Just as clearly - you have become one too. Be prepared, your underlings will happily gift you with years of grief ahead.

Those who learn to forgive are the ones who actually break the string of evils and gift themselves with the greatest rewards. Choose wisely. You will be glad if you do.

August 14 2012 at 10:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
MRandolph

Behind my back, this guy dismantled my career (had I known earlier, I would have left before any such permanent damage). I still owe nearly $200k in student loans. Whether I take measures to get even (and then some) or not, he still has power over me, because his damage will never be undone. Making this guy and his family suffer (as has mine) is the new mission that fills the void where my career once was.

August 14 2012 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
sixpakr6

Good for you. You're a hero and never let anyone tell you different.

August 14 2012 at 1:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Henry Thoreau

I'm not sure if I hate the boss or the author's resume more. At least I know where left winger's go to die now.

August 14 2012 at 7:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Henry Thoreau's comment
John O.

What do politics have to do with his comment or this article? You're one of those people that always make political statements out of nothing. You do this just to watch the fire of an argument burn.

August 14 2012 at 10:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morris

Sounds like he is arguing that his contract was "abusive". But he willingly signed it. I'm suspicious that what he calls "cheating" him out of commissions etc. was just terms of the contract being enforced- debit for lateness and undone work. As far as the whole "Urinating on an article of his clothing" in front of another party, that sounds suspiciously like he is talking of a restroom encounter, and one wonders what he was doing right up next to his boss when his boss was urinating. If someone got too close to you when you were at the urinal, and was bothering you, you might just pee on their shoe too.

August 14 2012 at 7:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mean Old Quack

And I thought that I was an A-whole boss. I can take lessons from this bunch....just kidding. I've never had an assistant sue me either. There's been some I'd like to sue though.

I wound up marrying the best assistant I ever had,. and now, I hold her purse at the mall. The irony isn't wasted on me. Maybe I'll sue her. Nah, she's too mean.

August 14 2012 at 6:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mean Old Quack's comment
Daisy

One question. Were you married to another woman when you met your current wife?
Just curious....

August 14 2012 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Al

you should have broke his nose

August 13 2012 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emegan1

I worked for a verbably abusive small family-owned company for almost six years. My husband was laid off from his job during the almost six years of my employment. They allowed me to have health insurance (though I was part-time). What I endured so that we could have health insurance changed me into an angry person so repressed that I took out my anger on my body. I don't like people. I am not very sociable and am happy living my life with limited contact with people. It has also made me a stronger person that only now I am coming out of my shell - after two years of quiting the job. There is so much more I could say but most importantly I accept myself and will not take any kind of rudeness or bullying from anyone. I speak up now.

August 13 2012 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply