Survey: Truly Strange Things People Do In Office Elevators

elevator behavior

By Susan Ricker

Every job has its ups and downs, but riding an elevator seems like an unlikely source for stress. However, a 15-second ride may push some people's buttons. CareerBuilder's latest study of more than 3,800 workers nationwide reveals the most unusual and annoying behaviors workers have witnessed in their office elevators.

The Weird And The Feared

Pushing the wrong elevator button doesn't seem so annoying compared with the other bizarre behavior observed in work elevators. According to the survey, the top examples of strange habits observed include:
  • "Pantsing" a co-worker.
  • Changing a baby's diaper.
  • Flossing teeth.
  • Clipping fingernails.
  • Fist fighting.
  • Showing someone a rash and asking for a diagnosis.
  • Moving the entire contents of a co-worker's office into the elevator, including the desk.
  • A woman with her arms full of papers using her head to keep the doors from closing.
  • Dancing throughout the ride.

Anxiety-Filled Ride

For some workers, riding the elevator is a source of anxiety, with 16 percent of workers saying they're afraid of getting stuck in an elevator due to a malfunction.

More: 9 Well-Paying Jobs That Don't Require A Degree

A Daily Dose Of Annoying.

Even without the odd behavior sometimes observed in elevators, how can a 15-second ride be the cause of so much irritation? Apparently, some people missed the memo on appropriate elevator behavior.

Although it's one of the top annoying habits as identified by the survey, you can't be blamed for closing the elevator doors on somebody if he's a known offender of any of these bad elevator-riding habits:
  • Talking on a cell phone -- 35 percent.
  • Not holding the door open when others are running to get on the elevator -- 33 percent.
  • Incidentally, 16 percent of workers admitted to purposely closing the elevator door when they saw someone approaching.
  • Standing too close when there is plenty of room in the elevator -- 32 percent.
  • Squeezing into an already crowded elevator -- 32 percent.
  • Not stepping off the elevator to let other people out -- 27 percent.
  • Holding the elevator doors open for an extended period of time while waiting for someone else to get on -- 26 percent.
  • Cutting in line to get on the elevator when other people have been waiting longer -- 23 percent.
  • Taking the elevator to go up one or two floors instead of using the stairs -- 20 percent
  • Pushing the wrong button, so the elevator stops at more floors -- 17 percent.
  • Facing away from the elevator door, instead of toward the door like everyone else -- 7 percent.

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

tomkellycartoons

Dancing in the elevator?
That's pretty funny.

I look forward to breaking into a wild Watusi on my next ride!

August 13 2012 at 5:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
flowerdi1967

yuck

August 13 2012 at 1:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JoanneVLavender

They didn't mention the worst thing...the wag who decides to lay a silent-but-deadly f*rt just before leaving the elevator, treating the remaining people inside to his lingering stench.

August 12 2012 at 11:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to JoanneVLavender's comment
itooso

That is too funny and smelly too :) & :(

August 13 2012 at 5:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tomkellycartoons

I have a friend who loves to make a fake fart noises in elevators.
Then he turns and says, "Madame, PLEASE!"

August 13 2012 at 5:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hello Gorgeous!!

A few I read I found nothing wrong with. Every time I get on an elevator-I stand with my back to the door. Started doing it as a kid- as a joke. And, to this day- it's still funny. I get all sorts of looks- but, mostly people laugh. I do it with a completely straight face- until someone laughs- and I join right in. When I'm with my hubby- he cracks up every time. Only place I don't do it is in a hospital. I figure most people are not happy- for apparent reasons, so, I don't want to be disrespectful.

August 12 2012 at 10:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ANGELOCOOL

people check out their bald spots , their fat profile from the side , farting is usually a biggie , talking to themselves , practicaly many different habits

August 12 2012 at 7:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ringmasterigs

In todays world a lot of elevators have video camara's, beware of some of the things you do in the eleavator "you have eyes on you"

August 12 2012 at 5:10 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ringmasterigs's comment
tomkellycartoons

I caught a guy taking a leak in the corner in an elevator.
Guess the floor came up too fast.
Too bad there was no camera for that one.

August 13 2012 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
panhermes

Recently in Flori-DUH two young trashy, low class pieces of garbage had the audacity to further demonstrate their genetic deficiencies by saying one to the other, "quick, close the doors"as two elderly women were about to board. I really don't like stupid- and that folks is exactly what, make no mistake or excuse, those rude behaviors as described above represent. Having lived a long life and admittedly being from a generation when being polite and exercising good judgment to ensure respect for our fellow humans no matter race, social standing or age was impressed upon us from earliest childhood as the only acceptable behavior. I'd suppose comment #1 from elpmip to be from a grade school level individual who is mentally challenged. Can't imagine otherwise anyone committing such a criminal act and then bragging about carrying it out.

August 09 2012 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to panhermes's comment
keithyboy118

Sounds to me like you are the low class piece of garbage. Talking trash like you do.

August 13 2012 at 5:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elpmlp

Once we tried a stupid college prank in a Chicago hotel. We attempted to move a pop machine into the elevator and send both down to the lobby with no passengers. It didn't work. The machine was too heavy to move.

Being enterprising college kids, we took furniture in the elevator waiting area and shipped it down instead.

August 09 2012 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply