Confessions Of A Millionaire's Servant

millionaire servant

By Ashley Lutz

A longtime servant of an eccentric millionaire wrote about what it's like to spend most of your time in a mansion while earning minimum wage.

The man, who said he worked for a gentleman who made millions in real estate, posted on Reddit's Ask Me Anything to answer questions. [Note: Reddit's Ask Me Anything section uses anonymous sources, which we can't verify.]

He said he was paid around $7 an hour for his work, which included polishing his employer's 15 pairs of leather shoes every day.

Here's what he said about his relationship with his employer:

We never had a warm relationship, and he was never particularly generous with me or treated me as anything other than some dumbass who polished his shoes.

More: 7 Part-Time Jobs That Pay Up To $40 An Hour

Whether he ever stole:

No, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about it. The year we worked on a project where we had to catalogue everything he owned it was almost immediately clear to us that he had no idea what was in his own basement. We could have stolen virtually anything aside from the customized/personalized stuff and no one would ever have known.

And his boss' wasteful spending:

To try to give you a picture of it, this guy is living with his wife in a house that's got probably 15-20 rooms, all fully furnished with really expensive furniture. Most of these rooms never saw any kind of activity whatsoever. Then in the basement, he had enough stuff to basically furnish another two or three houses; hundreds of thousands of dollars of vases, china, crystal, jewelry, and other crap that was just sitting down there for decades (and, as far as I know, is still sitting down there now that we've catalogued it and put it all back.)

Then there was also a garage, the attic of which was full of even more stuff. We never catalogued that, but I know that among other things, there were very expensive high performance racing sails in there (different from the ones he actually used on his racing sailboat, and very expensive), more china and crystal glassware, lots of expensive but kinda outdated AV equipment, etc.

Mind you, this is at the guy's summer house, so in addition to all this, he has at least one other house down in Florida that's way bigger and has tons more expensive furniture, china, cars, etc. etc.

Aside from fresh food, there was really no reason for him to buy anything ever. But he bought new stuff all the time. While we were working for him, he went on a gadget kick and bought a bunch of Apple laptops (like five or six) and a ton of gadgets and other weird stuff that he saw on TV infomercials. For example, everything we used to clean his cars had the "As Seen On TV!" logo on the box.

More From Business Insider

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Apple

Wow, to many idiots here totally missing the point!

August 10 2012 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hello Sean ;)

Then why right the story?

More liberal propaganda.

August 10 2012 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tleigh1955

This guy could have been out delivering pizza's if he did not like his boss, his choice to stay. Like everyone said. It is a job. If you are not happy do something about it, otherwise shine the shoes.

August 09 2012 at 12:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeri-Anne

Minimum wage in 2003 was $5.15. The note said PLEASE. Why would one of a household staff expect to be treated "warmly", it;s a JOB! And, by the disdain that this guy writes about his boss, he doesn't sound like he respected him, so why would he expect it back?

August 08 2012 at 11:37 PM Report abuse -3 rate up rate down Reply
lori0241

Want to be rich? Figure out a way to do it; no one's stopping you. Other than inherited wealth, earned wealth comes from hard work and willingness to make it on your own. Ask Herman Cain. He didn't have anything till he started his pizza business. There are many others too. And I agree with the CLASS WARFARE that's taking place emanating from Washington DC. It's a real chicken thing to do. Hitler did it back in the 30's, turning families against each other, children against parents. Are we to go through that once again?

August 08 2012 at 11:26 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Jami

This "article" was clearly aimed at stirring up the occupation mentality. Who cares what this guy does with his own money? I see that it did work on some of the posters here, though-the ones who know much better than he how this guy should spend his own money. I whole-heartedly agree with Pearl Nestor.

August 08 2012 at 11:07 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Pearl Nestor

I don't see the point of this article of either. This class warfare is getting old. Everyone has a decision whether or not to work for min. wage, you can vote with your feet by going on to a better paying job or learning some skills that will provide a better wage. So what if he bought 5 or 6 lap tops, or has a basement full of furniture? It's his money to do with what he wishes. It's not a good thing to covet, it can lead to stealing and it's like telling God that you aren't grateful for the blessings that he has given to you. I've known very rich people and poor people and a lot in the middle. It's a mixed bag to say who is more generous and who is not. Although I know my employer's income is much greater than mine I don't disparage his success because he provides me with a good paying job. I only hope he does get more prosperous because of my labor because I know I'll keep my job and probably get a raise too. That's my job, to make the customer happy and the most important thing to make my boss money. We all then prosper.

August 08 2012 at 10:15 PM Report abuse +6 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Pearl Nestor's comment
BARRY AND KATHY

Lot easier to say when you're not the one getting minimum wage. Don't kid yourself how easy it its to get another job in this economy.
By the way, God didn't give anyone anything.

August 08 2012 at 11:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna Loves Tim

Thank God for Pearl Nestor, attitudes like this are going to save this country. I am a boss, and I am sick and tired of whining, entitled employees. Althrough my income is not that great, I do provide work opportunities that gross my people about $40 an hour. I still have people complain about their work and whine about the nice, quiet office we work in because it is in the basement of an office building with no windows. I now have the whole place to myself. No admin costs, no employees, no whining. Attitudes of my whiny fellow Americans beat it out of me. Shame on you all. Anyone who wants a job and thinks it is hard to get one? Take a look in the mirror. Is your hair combed? have you showered in the past five days? Does your resume read like a freshman wrote it? The objective on your resume reads, "Find a job that utilizes my skills and education."??? Any of you Mensa members have just a high school education and list that boldly underlined just underneath your Objective?

September 29 2012 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

So what? The guy had a lot of stuff and this person still worked for him. It is a known fact that many overly wealthy people are not generous with their money. This article is boring.

August 08 2012 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Imaginary

So the guy has a lot of stuff... big deal?
Didn't think this article revealed anything worthwhile at all, waste of time.

August 08 2012 at 8:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Maverick

There are 10 people on an island each with $100. This they use instead of bartering - $10 fish for $10 haircuts; $10 cloth for $10 daycare; whatever. If one person accumulates - say $ 900 the others have approx. $10. At that point it's not about the rights of the one to be rich; it's how will this economy survive?

August 08 2012 at 8:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply