Please keep this email for your records, as it contains an
important verification code that you may need should you ever
encounter problems or forget your password.

December 21 2012 at 8:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

It would be nice just to get an interview. After sending out hundreds of resumes I have had two interviews. People over the age of 50 are being discriminated against.

August 05 2012 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I don't know... I love the challenge of it all just to prove that I'm knowledgeable.
The figure-aptitude questions just demonstrate how well you go about solving problems, or the scenarios of an existing problem and what you would do to fix it.
Very rarely do I have an interview that I don't score 100% in the Q and A session, and while I'm nervous on the inside, I never let them see me sweat.
Since you shake hands with your right hand, I keep a small tissue in my left hand. They don't like people who talk with their hands, so the tissue helps to keep my hands under the table.
And even if you don't know something, you can still emphasize that you're a quick learner and are highly adaptable.
Unfortunately, confidence still won't land you the job.
So how do you play slightly dumb (non-threatening) and Qualified all at the same time?

August 05 2012 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

i'd respond ....if and when you're serious about hiring someone call me MAYBE i'll come back . until then i'll keep looking for a company that is interested in my qualificaions

August 05 2012 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Heather Huhman

Nice, to-the-point post, David. Employers absolutely are asking "sneaky" behavioral questions more frequently these days, and, as J.T. noted, they're doing so in hopes of receiving honest, resourceful, and knowledgeable responses. But job seekers need to be careful when delivering these answers because it's easy to slip into a rambling response. To combat the urge to ramble, job seekers must remember to always take a deep breath and think of their responses before beginning to speak. Doing so will also eliminate job seekers' urge to "um" as well!

August 02 2012 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Heather Huhman's comment

But its so hard to know.
I've been on interviews where the person would ask a two-minute question (a long scenario example) that they want you to answer. The scenario has many different variables, that, while your mind is formulating an example, you have to also pick-up on the key point of what your focus "answer" should be.
That can lead to a rambling response because you're trying to impress upon the interviewer that you were paying attention and want to respond with something relevant. Some answers will make you appear too knowledgeable (as in over-qualified), while other answers can appear "not detailed enough" to impress the interviewer.
So its hard to tell and when to know how much is Too Much, vs Not Enough. Just because the interviewer talks alot doesn't mean you should match them. Either they like you right off the bat, or they don't.

August 05 2012 at 10:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

In the hopes of receiving honest answers? Hardly. HR people are incompetent. You need to be interviewed by the person you are actually going to work for. HR people ask questions that mean nothing to actually doing the job/

August 05 2012 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply