I cannot express the grielf, sadness and fears I experience at the prospect of NEVER being able to find stable work. 4 years of this garbage, of temp jobs, of very part time jobs, of minimum wage work, of food stamps, etc not being able to take my son to the fair, etc. This depression kills me. I want to provide for my son. I miss living my dreams and digging deeper into debt! I'm tired of those who have jobs that complain- and most of all, I'm tired of losing my dignity, to strip to make pennies, while nasty, ugly eyes scan my body up and down!

July 31 2012 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

As an individual who is in charge of hiring for his department, you have to understand that there are two sides to this. When I put out an ad to fill a position, I get hundreds if not thousands of resumes. It takes a full work day just to do an initial runthrough, and another to narrow it down to 6-12 candidates to interview. Each interview then takes another 30+ minutes to conduct. So now, I've spent 24+ hours attempting to find a good candidate, while having to not only do my job, but work to fill the shoes of the person I'm attempting to replace. I'm already forced to work 12 hours days and weekends, but now I'm expected to personally call and write everyone that didn't get the position?

As for explaining to someone why they didn't get the position, that has a number of problems. First, saying the wrong thing could lead to a lawsuit. Second, when you attempt to explain to someone why, their response isn't to listen and learn, it's to argue with you about it or try to convince you your opinion is wrong. At best it's uncomfortable, at worst it's infuriating.

The person hiring is just doing their job. They aren't making millions while working a few hours a week and laughing at the applicants. They are trying to fill a position with the right person as quickly as possible so they can go back to being able to work a honest number of hours while having some time left in their day to spend with their families.

July 25 2012 at 5:12 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric's comment

Eric this Is your job description is it not? As a blue collar plant worker in the `80's` we also received in person from over an hour away Hundreds of applications. I spent several hours 3 days in a row interviewing with management and boss's who were in no hurry at all. Up to 20 or so were hired on at a time. The respect and dignity in which we were treated during these interviews i only could wish this generation could experience. A plant with 300 plus employee's and 3 shifts you were called by name with a smile by those who sat behind a desk in the front of the building but chose to take time to walk through several times a week and talk with us. Not only was the business extremely successful but we benefited as well.
The character and dignity of a person was extremely important to them with the exception of those 10%. Well, back then.
Many articles i read such as this and on major magazines i find myself re-reading to find the intended joke. However; in my 50's now i find this very attitude in the 5 minute Doctor's office, and just about anywhere else i go. I know what changed, it would be good for this generation to try and figure it out.
wish all the best

August 28 2012 at 4:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Please take heart and be encouraged! There are real human beings out there facilitating hiring: Executive recruiters (aka Headhunters). Admittedly, companies don't pay search firms to find candidates for every level, but increasingly, search firms do assist with professional positions below the $100K/year threshold - don't let the word "executive" in "executive search" throw you off.

While the stereotypical candidate for a search firm is the $100K+ manager who is currently gainfully employed, I know unemployed and sub-$100K professionals that have been placed by these firms.

One can proactively reach out to search firms via their websites, complete their intake profiles, and upload a resume. In addition, headhunters (and internal company HR reps that attempt to operate like headhunters) conduct advanced searches of one's LinkedIn profile. Having a robust and up to date profile (and some change or update every couple of weeks to keep catching those searchers looking for recent updates) is probably the best way to "get discovered" by headhunters and HR departments alike.

The "real" pros are "retained", ie, paid by the companies themselves to find candidates and are compensated either upfront or upon hiring/retention of the candidate, or some combination. NEVER pay a headhunter to represent you. I've never encountered a legitimate situation where job hunters pay the headhunter. If you do, it's almost certainly is a scam - run!

In my personal experience, executive recruiters treat candidates very fairly and respectively. They are very busy and will not waste your, their, or their clients' (hiring companies) time. They are likely to tell it to you like it is...even if that's not what you want to hear. They are usually more forthcoming about things like the job's compensation and timing than if you are dealing directly with an HR department. The more honest you are about your interests and motivations, the more they can help you. That said, don't think of them as your personal agent. They work for the hiring company and you should assume anything you tell them can be repeated to the hiring company.

HR departments are often overwhelmed. In some cases, posting jobs (internal or external to the company) is as much about checking some sort of policy compliance box than hoping a great candidate wanders into their net. Don't make company websites the only leg of your job search.

Lastly, don't stop these good practices once you do land a job. There is no better/easier time to find work as when you are employed. Employers ideal candidate has good career momentum. Unexpected things do happen in a career, but, to the extent you can, be proactive, and take opportunities as they come...before you absolutely need them.

July 25 2012 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Michael's comment

Michael, this is very usefull and encouraging information. I don't suppose you could name a few recruiters you'd recommend -- are there national firms you could identify? This might help many of us. Thanks.

July 26 2012 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

I feel for you Fran. I lost my job of almost 11 years for a non-profit. Three months of online AND in person applications and not one call for a interview. Finally I got a call for a part time position in retail. I hope and pray it turns into a full time position. I thought I was the only one who felt overwhelmed and tired from being unemployed. I was starting to question myself, thinking what's wrong with me?! I shouldn't be like this! I guess I'm not alone. Thank you for the validating experience you shared with us!

July 25 2012 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cindy's comment

Hi Cindy! I'm really glad this helped you. The longer I've been unemployed, the more I'm discovering that there are many others like you and me everywhere. People don't always talk about being unemployed; I think we often feel ashamed about it, as if it's our fault. I find that, once I let people know I'm "between jobs," suddenly other people will acknowledge that they or their spouse are too.

July 25 2012 at 2:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

As someone who is currently in the recruiting world I feel compelled to put in my two cents. I can completely understand your frustration with receiving automated responses, but you have to understand it's the only way. In this market, HR is receiving literally THOUSANDS of applications daily and it would be nearly impossible to respond to them all. The worst part is, most of those applicants have little to no background in the job they're applying to. Please don't take this the wrong way. but HR personnel have many more pressing matters to deal with than sending personalized rejection letters.

In response to your issue with rejections being vague about why you didn't get a job: companies have to be vague to avoid lawsuits. I'm sure you would never do such a thing, but there are plenty of people out there who will try to sue a company for not hiring them, regardless if its legitimate claim or not.

I apologize if this came across the wrong way but I just wanted to give some honest insight.

July 25 2012 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to James 's comment

James, thank you for this, and no need to apologize! Your perspective from a recruiter's point of view helps explain "the rest of the story," as Paul Harvey used to say (I know, I'm dating myself!). Thanks for sharing this information.

July 25 2012 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Couldn't agree more with this article. Another piece of ignorance is paying mind to vacation/personal time a prospect must take to attend an interview. A friend of mine was asked to come in 3 different occasions to interview, taking 3 personal days and then told "We have decided to hire someone internal." REALLY?

July 25 2012 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dee's comment

Dee, after three interviews, your friend's disappointment must have been painful. On the plus side, though, it sounds like she already had a job, which makes many of us envious! Still, if you need to make a change, a rejection after multiple interviews is hard to take.

July 25 2012 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Garfield Odie

Fran,you seem to be quite a likable person. I would suggest doing something noone else has done or does--go directly to the office and stand outside of it and ask for a personal meeting with an exec. You will be shown the door 10 times in a row but the 11th time someone will let you in!.. Trust me it works..i'm an example of it!!!

July 24 2012 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Garfield Odie's comment

You may be right, Garfield Odie! Nothing else has worked so far, so maybe I should try something different. That's great that it worked for you! Thanks for the advice.

July 24 2012 at 3:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply