Best Buy Customer Says 'Geek' Copied Racy Photos From Her Smartphone

Best Buy Geek Customers Photos

All Sophia Ellison wanted was a new smartphone to replace her damaged one. But what she got instead, she says, was humiliated and angry after learning that a Best Buy clerk, who was supposed to move the contents of her old iPhone to a new one, instead said he copied its photos -- including some "racy" ones -- on to a CD of his own.

"I felt sick. I felt violated. I felt so embarrassed," Ellison (pictured above) told WTOP, a Washington, D.C., area radio station.

Ellison says that she enlisted the aid of the "Geek Squad" employee at the Best Buy in suburban Fairfax, Va., to transfer her photos, and contacts, including her phone number and email addresses, when she replaced an older iPhone last April.

The employee offered to buy her older phone, which had a shattered screen, from Ellison for $60 cash from his own pocket, assuring her that he would transfer her data to a new iPhone 4s and erase all the info from her damaged iPhone.

More: Top 10 Jobs Of The 21st Century

To Ellison's dismay she learned soon after that none of the 900 photos, which included her in suggestive poses and a video taken by her young children of themselves, joking after getting out of the shower, were on her new smartphone.

So she called the store's manager only to get a call back from the Geek Squad employee, who promised to retrieve the photos.

"A few days later, he called back to tell me he'd made a CD at his house with all my photos, and when can I come get them. I could pick them up at his house," Ellison told WTOP, adding that she then hung up the phone.

Best Buy, through a spokeswoman, apologized for this incident and said it had fired the worker.

More: The Best And Worst States For Job Seekers

"We can confirm that an employee at this store has been terminated for making a personal transaction with a customer while on duty at the store," Best Buy spokeswoman Paul Baldwin said in written response.

"We're continuing our investigation and assure you that we will continue to act promptly to address any inappropriate employee behavior," Baldwin added.

As for Ellison, she is considering legal action, since she can no longer be assured of the whereabouts of her photos and other personal information.

She remains concerned where the images of her face, body and children are, she said. "I can only imagine."

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

dewitjr88

My momma said stupid is as stupid does....put those pics on the net for anyone that wants to view them, once she sold the phone the pics became his property...She knowingly made a side deal

August 07 2012 at 12:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
donald_kirk

When are people going to figure out why us "computer types" refer to it as Worst Buy, and refuse to patronize them? This happens all the time, just Google it.

Just like when the Geek Squad was un-officially (wink,wink) using pirated software from Winternals (slashdot.org/story/06/04/13/1958231/best-buy-geek-squad-accused-of-pirating-software).

July 27 2012 at 1:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rifleman

Never could figure out why people feel the need to take "suggestive" photos of themselves (and she should have deleted them herself, especially knowing that the employee would probably see them while/before deleting). Having said that, the employee should be sued for such behavior. Sounds more like a Pervert Squad than Geek Squad...

July 25 2012 at 1:55 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
carmenj604

I feel sick. I feel violated. What an IDIOT. She should win dumbass of the year award. She must have been in contact with the Kardashians, sounds like something Kim would do. You got your 11 min of fame now go away.

July 24 2012 at 6:51 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
ANTON

Anytime a clerk in any store offers to buy something with his own cash something is not right, anyone who accepts should know something is wrong. You go to a national store chain and an employee working there takes cash out of his own pocket you know something is not right, or at least you should if you graduated grade school. People never think about racy pics of themselves falling into the wrong hands, these phones are portable computers and all your personal info and photos are there for the world to see if you lose the phone or it gets stolen. If you do something like this and you know you don't want anyone to see these photos you need to save them to a disk and delete them off the phone. It is a different world and sadly today you can sue for being stupid, oops I spilled hot coffee I just bought on me it is the stores fault, oops I left naked pics on my phone and sold the phone to an employee now they are on a naked moms website. I like the ones that let a BF take naked pics and then get upset when the show them to people, today it is so easy, you used to have to get out a 35mm camera wait for the flash to charge up, have her pose and then click. I have pic of most of my ex GF all smiling and posing and when I show them I always wonder because it has been 20+ years am I going to hear "HEY! that's my wife." Or worse..."HEY! that's my mother." from the people I am showing...LOL

July 24 2012 at 6:45 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
REDTAG

BOO-HOO DA.

July 24 2012 at 5:46 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
cheleiams

There are two valuable lessons to be learned here. One, don't take racy photos on your cell phone, and two, if you do take racy photos on your cell phone (and even if you don't) learn how to transfer your own photos to a computer so you can back them up and remove them from the phone before you take it in to be serviced. Even if she'd only had photos of her kids (sans shower), if Best Buy had accidentally lost them she'd be heartbroken.

July 24 2012 at 5:42 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Noreen

Don't understand why anyone would take suggestive photos of themselves or others with a phone. Jeez! She deserved what she got.

July 24 2012 at 5:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Noreen's comment
Alexandria Thomas

Seriously?? People do that ALL the time. It's just about making sure those photos don't fall into the wrong hands. You mean to tell me you've never admired your body, and decided to take a pic with your phone?

July 24 2012 at 10:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Alexandria Thomas's comment
mgnficntoz

Indeed, I have not. I know what I look like myself and have no strange compulsion to share such with anyone who would need a picture to know.

December 09 2012 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
rrpatreilly

John Wayne said, "Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid."

July 24 2012 at 5:32 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
rrpatreilly

She said she felt humiliated, violated and angry but somehow left out feeling stupid!!

July 24 2012 at 5:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply