The easiest way to avoid workplace conflicts? Don't work. Just ask the welfare moms. it works for them.

July 24 2012 at 12:31 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply

i got no problem with the fight if the man can look me in the eye when he's fighting, i take an asswhopping like a man ands i sure and f**k give an asswhopping , and i show no mercy or forgiveness. and i hate cops

July 24 2012 at 11:36 AM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply

The article is well-done. Note she suggests going to Human Resources only after other things have been exhausted. I'd only add, try to understand what each person does well. If you have somebody in a group that seems to be doing less, is there work you can give him or her she can do. As others have noted, going to the boss is a last resort; it is frequently better to suck it up and accept the person's inadequecies than complain to management.

July 24 2012 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kate Gallagher

Mark Wayne is a buffoon

July 24 2012 at 8:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Unless it is extremely serious, I agree with the comment not to go to Personnel. There is a paper trail that will follow you when it's time for a pay raise or promotion or sick time or if you are injured on the job. It will be used against you to get you fired.
I was an Admission's Coordinator and I got colitis and I was out for two months. I had the proper documentation. But I was laid off when it was time to go back. I had an argument with someone months before and I went to personnel. That other person was also laid off at the same time I was. She was in a different department and was not out sick. The organization decided it wanted no conflict so they let us both go.
We had a verbal disagreement. There was no physical contact and the arguement was work related. We were not loud, but we couldn't resolve a procedural issue.
Anyhow, we both went on to other jobs and I met her again. We did not argue because the arguement was only related to the previous job. We both agreed that personnel had done us both in.

July 24 2012 at 8:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tracey L. McNeel

I think what should more heavily be portrayed besides favored employees, but also the managers, assistant managers to anyone else when it comes to 'rank' in work places. I have had my fair amount of experience with them with the realization of behaviors and judgments they should not be making, yet have a regular habit of leading the lower end workers to get FIRED.

July 24 2012 at 7:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

#6 = Yikes! Nothing like having a meeting for EVERYONE to address the one person who can't follow the rules. - Terrible advice! Approach the said person and speak resonably, respectfully and professionaly ... isn't that the advice in the rest of this article? Having team meetings to address one persons behavior is a waste of time, lowers moral and shows employees that their boss or teammate doesn't have the skills needed to address tough situations.

July 24 2012 at 7:14 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply

I'm sorry, but whatever you do, DO NOT go to HR. HR's purpose is to protect the employer's interests, not the employee(s).
Let's face it, there are some people we like, and some we don't, and it's not always about 'conflict' .
Conflict usually arises because of ego's, and if you ever worked in a office workplace environment, you know that what's really going on, is political game playing and bullying.

July 24 2012 at 7:13 AM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Mark Wayne Claytor

I knew this just HAD to be written by a woman. A real man would approach the conflict situation with something intelligent and relevant like...."If you dont like it buddy, bring it on! Let's take this outside....I'll kick your companyman a**!"

July 24 2012 at 6:26 AM Report abuse -2 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mark Wayne Claytor's comment

I think your humor is lost on some people. Oh well.

July 24 2012 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply