Americans strictly follow the motto of the welcoming gates of Auschwitz: "Arbeit Macht Frei" (work will set you free). Conservative Americans (especially those who run corporations) sell the Puritan work ethic as a great American virtue. Americans proudly work hard to allow those CEO's and board memebers have lavish lifestyles, and exotic vacations they can only dream of and will never see in their lifetimes. It's time for the working and middle class to break away from the oppressive and exploitive republican party, and the inept and complicit Democrat party and form a true labour party which will sincerely look after their interests. Mandating a minimum annula leave is one great place to start.

July 15 2012 at 8:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

An Employer that cares??? Shame on them

July 15 2012 at 7:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

No wonder many of the companies who offer no vacation time do not have employees that give a damn about there employers. A Job is just a Job until they fine a better one.

July 15 2012 at 7:27 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to TOM's comment

funny, and so many people call mandated holiday a form of "communisim" - government interference in free enterprise.

July 15 2012 at 7:52 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to doonooch's comment

wrong. Western Europe mandates holidays. Western Europe is not communist.

July 16 2012 at 7:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down

Enjoy it what else could you do,it is free..

July 15 2012 at 3:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

The military has been paying the troops for years while they are on vacation. Military members get 30 days of paid vacation every year, along with paid weekends, and are paid on holidays whether they are actually performing a job or on a day off.

Folks tend to perform better in the work place if they are able to actually afford to take a real vacation to recover from stress, and recharge their creative brains.

July 15 2012 at 2:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mesager42's comment

However, few employers require their employees be ready to go elsewhere at a moment's notice or even move there. Few employers can expect that their workers can be at work for 24 hours, if necessary, and be killed on the job. The sad part is if you're enlisted, you don't even make minimum wage until you're an E-4 and many of the lower ranking enlisted people are eligible for food stamps. While they do give 30 days of paid leave a year, if hostilities break out, and your job skills are needed, they can - and will - recall you.

July 23 2013 at 5:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Regina L. Hovey

I would visit my friends in Orange county,relax go to san diego or catalina with my family, buy things that I normally can not afford.

July 15 2012 at 12:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Although my employer allows me three weeks of paid vacation each year, I would find it very rewarding to have unlimited vacation time. I am always at work, even when I don't feel well. In fact, it takes a near death sickness for me to call out from work. I am very dedicated to my job and feel guilty when I'm not there to do my work. I believe employees that have proven dedication should be given additional perks in the workplace but I have reservations about it being available to all employees. Some employees could care less about their coworkers and the burdens they place on them when they aren't pulling their weight and/or call out frequently. To help eliminate that problem at my place of employment, my employer offers a $500 bonus to any employee who works for 1 year without any "unplanned" absences.

July 15 2012 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

This is absolutely insane. If they are paying someone $7500.00 to take a vacation, there must be some serious expectations on the flip side. I agree with other posters below that people are afraid to take their vacations and so am I. As a matter of fact, I'm being made to take my vacation because my company won't let us accrue any and, my job is still expected to be done while I'm away with nobody to do it. I would be surprised if that company had many employees as it doesn't sound like a very profitable idea and how would you measure the ROI on that? Hmmm....would be sweet though!

July 15 2012 at 12:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Vacation is not in my vocabular. I have to save my leave time to make up for the hours I don't get on the schedule. My employer is cutting way back on hours for those employees that are not full time. I'm NOT full time. My spouse is disabled and can't work. I must work to pay all the bills (mortgage, vehicle payment, utilities, etc..) There is no money left after paying all that. I would love to work for a company that insisted you take a PAID vacation or not get PAID the money. If I did, I'd go someplace my spouse and I have wanted to go, but never had the time or money to do so.

July 15 2012 at 12:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rharr0156's comment

I have a similar problem. I work an unusual shift for my employer, and if we are closed - through no fault of my own - I have to use a vacation day so I don't violate my own contract. (There has to be 12 hours from leaving work to coming back, and if I have to work on my usual day off, I have to come in 8 hours after I leave. No one had been able to figure it out.)

July 23 2013 at 5:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

OH my, I would take a vacation.....I have never had a real "vacation" in my whole life!!!! What a joy that would be.

July 14 2012 at 10:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply