Customer Service Rep Allegedly Tells Customer To 'Burn In Hell,' Loses Job

Rank this one right up there on the short list of things you should never to say to a customer: "Burn in hell."

But it was precisely that phrase, reportedly uttered by a customer service representative at Telenor, Norway's largest cellular phone company, to a teenage customer that has resulted in the worker's termination, according to The Local, an English language news site serving Norway.

Telenor refused to say whether the offending employee was fired or quit voluntarily, but a spokesman told the VG tabloid newspaper, "[I]t was perhaps unavoidable with such a serious incident."

And it started like this. Last week, 16-year-old Maiken Fredriksen Iversen phoned Telenor to complain that she hadn't received a message warning that she was about to exceed her monthly usage limit.

The phone company employee instructed Iversen to download an "app" to track her usage of text messages.

"I said that shouldn't be necessary," Iversen told VG, "since I'm supposed to receive a notification via SMS" -- a form of text messaging.

More: The Best And Worst States For Job Seekers

The agent reportedly then told Iversen that she could be more helpful. But she responded by telling the employee that his response was insufficient, before wishing him a good day and hanging up.

That's when the apparently enraged customer service rep took matter into his own hands, sending Iversen a text message minutes later that said: "It's rare to encounter this level of cheek. Hope you burn in hell!"

Iversen could hardly believe her eyes.

Angered by the incident, the girl's mother, Mette Fredriksen, called Telenor for an explanation.

But when the company failed to provide an apology, Fredriksen reported the matter to the police as well as the media.

Just a few months ago, a McDonald's worker in South Carolina was arrested for allegedly spitting in iced tea cups after customers complained that the drinks weren't sweet enough.

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

btaylor474

Customer service is one of the lowest paid postions in a corporation.
All the stress and no compensation.

September 28 2012 at 12:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
drbracket

I dont condone what the employee did and I dont even find it acceptable however you make it seem like this man lost an amazing job opportunity and fortune. Getting screamed at all day by people for a little over minimum wage really isnt worth it .

September 27 2012 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ktz1017

As someone who has worked in CSR positions for years I can tell you that rude customers are nothing new and that rude customers DO lie and if you want to keep your job you become even more polite and RECORD/write down EVERYTHING that is said by both sides. If you have to cuss someone out wait until you hang up the phone, go to the ladies (mens) room, shut the door and mutter away. DO NOT let anyone hear you.

August 29 2012 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B.Gee

With all the frustrations of today's high tech world, we will see more of this tech rage. It's time to add Valium and Zoloft to our drinking water along with the flourides. What's the longest that you've been on "hold?"

July 14 2012 at 7:46 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
lifehub

The best way to file a complaint is to contact that company's corporation and head-honchos.

July 14 2012 at 4:36 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Timboy

I am sure the "girl" is downplaying what she told the rep. I dont think a rep would become enraged by someone telling him his response was insufficient and hanging the phone up. The 16 year old probably used some foul language and cursed him out. Nevertheless, he shouldnt have committed his response in writing. I would have called back later days later , blocked my number and told her exactly what a nasty **** she was in no uncertain words. Then I would have said I hope you burn in hell. I would have used a voice disguiser as well.... a really clever one.

July 14 2012 at 12:40 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Timboy's comment
lifehub

Sorry but there are many teens who show a greater level of maturity as opposed to their adult counterparts.

July 14 2012 at 4:35 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Trisha Lynn Dragon

Hey skippy? Those calls are "monitored". The company has 100% access to the call.

Even if she is lying and she blissed him out 9 ways to Sunday, he still farked up royally. It doesn't matter WHAT she said, he gets paid for a job, and he sure as heck didn't do it.

If the UK laws are similar to ours here in the US if she HAD been overly rude or verbally assaulted the CSR he is 100% within his right to disconnect the call.

You also can't block your number from the cell company you twit. Not showing up on caller ID doesn't make you super leet mlg pro h4xxor. When you called her back with your "voice changer" (which is exceptionally stupid but ok whatever I guess) and told her what you thought of her...how the hell is she NOT going to know it was the moronic butt hat at the cell company?

If you are stupid enough to do the tripe you just babbled, please update us when your out of the pokey so we can laugh at the moron who thinks an anon call verbally abusing a minor is a BETTER idea than just texting her a nasty lil' love letter as an employee.

Why just lose your job when you can do jail time right? >.<

September 27 2012 at 7:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Trisha Lynn Dragon's comment
Trisha Lynn Dragon

*you're

September 27 2012 at 7:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down
swirlycar

Verizon, is that you?

July 13 2012 at 8:54 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Deborah B

Just last month, I was going through refinancing my mortgage with JP Morgan Chase; the "Appraiser" called me to make an appointment to come to my house and take photographs. Okay, no problem. But the "Appraiser" spoke very poor English and I had a very difficult time understanding him (mind you, I worked with Japanese immigrants for six years and the East European Community for 23 years). The man had a very thick Russian accent and he spoke very quickly. I had to ask him several times to "slow down", that I could not understand his English. His response to me: "I have been in this country for 20 years. Are YOU a foreigner?". Hello...I'm a retired FBI Agent you Moron. Oh yes...I filed a formal complaint with Chase and they followed up accordingly. And yes, my refinance at 2.75% was approved. Life is good!

July 13 2012 at 8:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce

I rarely have trouble with service reps. I never yell at them, I apologize if I do start to raise my voice, and tell them I know it's not their fault. If I do get one who's rude, or doesn't seem to 'get it,' I tell them I'll just call back later. That way, whatever they recoord will not have me being rude or unreasonable.

July 13 2012 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joyce's comment
lifehub

Often it IS their fault, as many don't want to be bothered.

July 14 2012 at 4:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wntmoretime

that CSR had NO business doing what they did as a CSR for many years with a large monopoly, the customer is always right and that teenager was correct they should have been notified..what probably was the issue he/she had a bully boss and was taking it out on the customer

July 13 2012 at 1:21 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply