Ex-Wet Seal Managers Claim The Company Called The Number Of Black Employees A 'Huge Issue'

By Abby Rogers

Three ex-Wet Seal managers filed a lawsuit alleging shocking bias against black employees, claiming one manager was ordered to hire more whites or be fired.

The former managers -- who filed the federal race discrimination lawsuit on Thursday in California -- are hoping to turn it into a class-action suit, The New York Times reported Thursday. The lawsuit alleges rampant racism in all ranks of the company, which manufactures clothing for teen girls.

In one such instance, a former senior vice president allegedly sent an email around to low-level managers complaining that black employees "dominate" some stores, which was a "huge issue."

Former manager Nicole Cogdell told the Times she was fired the day after then-senior vice president Barbara Bachman sent the email.

Cogdell also reported overhearing Bachman saying she wanted an employee with "blond hair and blue eyes."

Kai Hawkins, a former store manager in New Jersey told the Times her district manager ordered her to hire more white employees or she would be fired.

Both Cogdell and Hawkins are black.

Wet Seal did not respond to the Times' requests for comment.

More From Business Insider

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

VigilantSoldier

Have these white managers been killed yet? I thought I heard something about a gruesome murder? Thanks for the update

May 13 2013 at 2:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wapitibowhunters

Blacks only make up 13% of the population, there is no reason to ever have more than 13% black employees at any company.

July 14 2012 at 7:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
glencove

This could be an issue of reverse discrimination.Why are nearly all OF THE DMV EMPLOYEES African American? I worked for a Principal who never hired Caucasians as TEACHERS' AIDES. But employers or managers seem to be allowed to hire only within their race. African Americans would be pursuing lawsuits or screaming to the political advocacy groups and claiming racial discrimination. If the store owners wanted to have a more representative group of employees, why are they being criticized?.It goes both ways. I am sure so called White people are tired of being accused unfairly of being racist. It is time we all hire people based on their qualifications. All I hear about is African Americans complaining but the rest of society is resentful because we have to deal with ugly incidents every day.

July 14 2012 at 5:32 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
lifehub

That racial thing goes both ways.

July 14 2012 at 4:38 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Rhianon

I recently quit my job of 3 yrs. in housekeeping in north Texas. The company is a subsidiary of Exxon-Mobil. I was the only white woman in my building that I cleaned. Everyone else was hispanic. 1-sometimes 2 black folks. I know all about discrimination. Can't complain to H.R. They're zombies. Can't be a whistle blower, you'll get fired first. I don't know anymore where white folks go to apply for jobs in the DFW area. I'm just going to stay home for a while.

July 14 2012 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sugarcreekchile

Black managers discriminate against whites in hiring so their stores only have black employees. When told by a senior vice- president that she wanted to see more diversity in the stores and to hire some whites, they cry foul. So, it's ok for the black managers to discriminate against whites when hiring? But it's not all right for the VP to tell them to stop discriminating?

July 14 2012 at 3:24 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
troofdetector12

I bet this is nothing but black racist bullshit.

July 14 2012 at 3:23 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
R Baby Kat

My job and pay-check depended on my recruiting and hiring minorities (blacks) in the late '70's and in the 80's. A quota, if you will. In that particular state, the only blacks were the ones that were recruited outside the state to play basketball and football for the college. There were Native Americans, of course, but they were all on the Reservation. I had to ask my boss to ride with me over the state so he could see for himself, that this was an impossible situation for me. In our Regional Office for a 5 state Region, they hired minorities and all they did was come in late, still half drunk, spent most of the day in the "john" and couldn't staple two pieces of paper together. They knew they wouldn't be fired so they really took advantage. Oh, I forgot, they didn't adhere to the "dress code" either. So you see, it can be a two way street. So stop complaining. We have a different situation now in Arizona and California. They must be bi-lingual, I.E., speak Spanish and English. So don't go sending me posts about being racist or biased. I'm just telling it the way it was/is.

July 14 2012 at 2:34 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
Soy_el_Guapo

That's what happened when you have a black manager, you will have black employees. Same thing if it was a white manager, they will hire white employees, except that its racist to hire all white employees than all black employees. In my work, I am the only white man in the entire building where I work at. About 88% are black women, only 2 other people are white female, and there are a few other races. Where I live it is about 80% white, 8% black, 10% hispanic, and yet, they hire all blacks at my work. The only reason why they hired me was because I was over qualified for the job and had a solid resume and came on time for the interview. I had to really impress them in order to get the job, and now that I have it....I don't even know if it was worth the discrimination and alienation that I face there.

July 14 2012 at 2:22 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
lilloric

i don't see a problem here. i've seen stores in my area that had nothing but black or hispanic employees. the stores were empty of shoppers. i don't think it's racism at least not concious racism on the part of shoppers. so if wet seal wants equal amounts of races represented it is good business practice so it appeals to more shoppers.

July 13 2012 at 11:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply