Youth Unemployment Seen As 'Scarring' By Global Group

youth unemployment

By Annalyn Censky

NEW YORK -- As the jobs crisis drags on, high unemployment could permanently damage the economic prospects of the world's youngest workers, the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development warned Tuesday.

A lack of jobs for workers ages 15 to 24 could create a "scarring effect" on their long-term career paths and future earnings prospects, the OECD said. Last year, about 18.6 percent of youth were neither employed nor in school or training programs across the OECD's 34 countries, the think tank said.

In the United States, that percentage was 14.8 percent.

More: 7 Part-Time Jobs That Pay Up To $40 An Hour

Besides the United States, the OECD represents Japan, Mexico and much of Europe.

It predicts the unemployment rate across those countries will fall no lower than 7.7 percent by the end of 2013 -- barely an improvement over its current 7.9 percent.

Youth workers, it warned, are bearing the brunt of that crisis.

"It is imperative that governments use every possible means at their disposal to help job seekers, especially young people, by removing barriers to job creation and investing in their education and skills," said OECD Secretary-General Angel Gurría, presenting the report in Paris.

The OECD urges employers and policymakers to create more work-study programs, including internships and other vocational training programs to address the problem.

US Youth Entrepreneurship on the Slide

More From CNNMoney

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Oleofox

I'm 25, have 2 IT related associate degrees, and have been searching for an entry level clerical type job for 9 months now with no success after having to drop out of a BA program once my Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits were gone (thanks to my father's 40 years of military service they covered my education for 1 1/2 years).

Now I'm facing the problem of being too educated to get even a minimum wage job; and not experienced enough in an office type job even though 9 times out of 10 I exceed their education requirements. But how am I supposed to get said experience if no one will take a chance on me? My mom and I had to get food stamps in order to survive as we are living off of what she gets for social security disability.

I'm to the point where I just don't know how I can keep trying. Feeling like a total failure. I'm 25 and have achieved practically nothing.

July 12 2012 at 7:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dseri6

I am a Baby Boomer (looking for a job) but I still think the young should work ahead of me. I had my chances already (and they haven't) To me, it's a birthright to work. Unemployment amoung the young sets them up for a life time of depression. Eventually, they begin to believe they can't do anything

July 11 2012 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dseri6's comment
Iselin007

Age discrimination has decimated the baby boomers for over 3 decades as their jobs were outsourced and cheap young labor was brought over with Hb1 and Hb2 non immigrant work visas.

July 11 2012 at 1:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

Wars have been fought since the begining of time. The Global misery will spark yet another War an millions of young and old will suffer. Think of the young corporate white collar staff be yanked from their computers and Ipads heading into the front lines of war!

July 11 2012 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TB

More ofr 0bama's "legacy"....

July 11 2012 at 12:18 PM Report abuse -1 rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

Analog was here in the form of lighting long before Digital and it will be here when everyone is gone.

July 11 2012 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

The years of outsourcing and discrimination against older workers is causing vast experience to be wasted and forgotten.

Who will buy your high tech goods when no one can afford them or have a use for them? No body needs or will support a Wall St class that doesn't support them.

July 11 2012 at 12:08 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
donapplebycd

They need to be in school 'till they're 30, just so they can learn enough to survive in this very competetive climate.

July 11 2012 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Iselin007

What about the older unemployed who can't retrain because of their age,lack of entry jobs for older people, and refusal by employers to hire older people?

July 11 2012 at 11:59 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
pj512

I don't worry about the 15-18 age group. The parents take care of them at that age. But it has to be scarcy for the new graduates (high school or college) when they can't find a job. I'm 59 and have been unemployed for two years and that is scary, but I worked for 40 years so at least I have that. If you are 18 to 24 and can't find anything, you are probably going to become very lazy and your parents are never going to get rid of you. Our job market is really screwed up.

July 11 2012 at 10:00 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to pj512's comment
Iselin007

Pj512:

I know you have already posted about the younger visa workers who pushed you out of a job so you took the employer to task over it and won.

July 11 2012 at 12:02 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Lynda

With alot of the giant corporations SITTING on thier capital....It's no wonder these kids don't have jobs! Many of my friends in the 50 & over crowd can't find work either. Corporate America ......whining about paying taxes...whining about paying for anything other than to thier own pockets, makes them quiver. I'm afraid that "big business...aka...1%" don't care what happens to this country..(or its' peoples)...as long as they get thiers by the truck load. Shameful....All for me and none for you is thier new motto.....job creators my ass.

July 11 2012 at 9:08 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply