Home Depot Is Hiring: What's It Really Like To Work There?

They're out there, 300,000 of them, in bright orange aprons, smelling faintly of fertilizer and turpentine. They're employees at America's largest home improvement retailer, Home Depot. And you could be one of them.

Home Depot typically hires 70,000 people annually, according to spokesman Stephen Holmes, although usually at the beginning of the year. Macy's and Target may swell up their ranks for the holidays, but in the world of home improvement, springtime is Christmas.

It doesn't have to be just a seasonal job though; Holmes says half of their springtime associates transition into full-time positions. Home Depot also looks for good cashiers year-round, and there are occasional openings at the management level.

There's a clear hierarchy at Home Depot, claims former employee Katie Kirsch. Cashiers are on the bottom rung, with an average hourly wage of $9.31, according to Glassdoor.com. The associates wandering the floors, advising customers on paint colors and bamboo flooring, are a loftier bunch, taking home an average hourly wage of $11.63.

And then there's the ruling class: assistant store managers, store managers, department supervisors, district managers, and division presidents, many of whom, Holmes says, started out as hourly associates knee-deep in miracle sealant. Assistant store manager at Home Depot is "a great job," says Holmes, with an average annual salary of $55,128.

"One thing to always keep in mind about Home Depot," Holmes says, "is that while you may start out as a part-time associate in a store, you really don't know where that will lead."

More: $100-A-Year Jobs That Don't Require A College Degree

But the best thing about working at Home Depot, employees agree, are the benefits. Even part-time employees have an array of benefit packages to pick from, which include medical, dental, stock options, and a 4019(k), as well as vacation and sick days. "As far as retail is concerned, you'd be hard-pressed to find a better company," one department supervisor in San Rafael, Calif., wrote on Glassdoor.com.

Employees do gripe about the schedule though, saying that one day they'll be on-call at 5 a.m. to open the door, and then on-the-clock at 11 p.m. the next day to close. Home Depot "doesn't understand the term 'circadian rhythm,' " jokes the department supervisor. "It's hard to get on a normal schedule when the word 'normal' is no longer a part of your vocabulary," says another employee. Workers also don't get a discount, and managers aren't always as competent as you'd like.

If you're an expert in moulding and millwork, you're more likely to score a Home Depot gig. "But individuals shouldn't be discouraged if they don't have the background," Holmes claims, "because we have a fantastic training program across the company."

He says they conduct hands-on home improvement projects with employees, where they learn how to tile a floor themselves. "We're not aware of anyone else who does this," he says. Although Kirsch, who worked at Home Depot for 3½ years, claims that as a teenager in the floor and wall department, her training was all "learn as you go."

More: 7 Ways To Royally Mess Up A Job Interview

There aren't many retail outlets like Home Depot, where customers usually come in with a particular task they need help with: a crack they need to seal, or a skylight they need to install. So hiring managers are really looking for applicants with "a strong knack for problem-solving."

Individuals apply online, or if they don't have internet access, they can come into a store where someone will help them. If the application hits the right keywords, a staffing manager will review it personally and, if impressed, will give the applicant a call. The final stage is a face-to-face interview, where you should show off your "passion," says Holmes.

"The other people you're working with are very passionate about the company, passionate about customers and helping them," he claims. "And if you have that passion, you can do well here."

Find a job at Home Depot.

More From AOL Jobs

Steven L Elliott

I started with Hell depot in dec 2103 and currently still there . I needed a partime for a yr while im going to school . All I can say is the lace is a joke fromtop to bottom !!!!!!

March 28 2014 at 1:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

Zuren is right on......with Obamacare (the UNaffordable Care Act)........almost no one but the management is full time. It really sucks now.

March 26 2014 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zurenriri

Home Depot is a great place to work, but it should be noted that since the passing of the Affordable Care Act, getting full-time there is tricky. Less than a third of our associates are full-time at my store, most of those people are supervisory or management staff.

February 28 2014 at 9:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Messersmithsown

This is ridiculous, I submitted two applications for the Home Depot about two week ago. Today I received a call and email stating that I should call the Home Depot staffing center for a brief phone interview. After calling the number provided about 20 times I receive a message stating that this number is no longer in use, and I have reached this message in error. After doing some research online I found that this number was in fact still in use. So I called back, and after being disconnected after 5 seconds, literally about 50 more times. I get to the automated directory for the staffing center.
After answering the single question posed I was transferred to a live Rep. I could tell right away from the tone of this persons voice that he shouldn't be taking calls, period. After asking my name and email he provided the position title. It was something like " Bi-lingual associate". I couldn't understand his whole sentence because he was mumbling, but I understood Bi-lingual. Not only did I NOT state in any submitted application that I was bilingual, but after explaining this to the Rep he simply said "Have a nice day" and disconnected me.

I would like to know on what planet is any of this acceptable!
The hiring process and anyone involved should be friendly and attentive, not convoluted and aloof.
I guess what Home Depot states on their information page it true,
"The Home Depot is built on the principle of creating value for our stockholders".
It goes on to state other things but this is the first and main statement. Probably the only truthful statement on the page, because obviously from what one can deduce from the experiences of others and mine. Is that The Home Depot IS built on the principle of creating value for their stockholders, and everything else can take a backseat.

January 23 2014 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kneekoh

Home depot no longer offers medical benefits to part time associates. Probably because of the affordable care act.

January 18 2014 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Andi

I believe your experience working at HD is dependent on the store in which you work. I've been with Home Depot for a short while now and I absolutely LOVE IT! I've noticed a common theme among disgruntled employees at my store: their terrible work ethic and bad attitude. Some people simply lack customer service skills and that's ok but you shouldn't place yourself in a job that you hate or aren't qualified for. You have to be willing to work hard, go above and beyond the expectations of all customers and give it your 110% best. "That's not my job", is the absolute worst attitude in the entire world. There are far too many people who carry that mentality and end up making the real team workers miserable. I am really excited about my future at Home Depot and I hope HD really comes through for me. And if they don't, then so be it! I'm darn lucky to have a job in this economy. I will never complain about having a job.

November 10 2013 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael V. Moen

Here's my tid bit. I had an interview with Home Depot once. Just one, never heard back again. What happens some months after? I get hired on by Lowe's. Been there's almost six months so far. Home Depot lost a potential employee to a competitor. Karma.

October 23 2013 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Roofus

Looks like I'm a little late, and its doubtful many people will read this. Like any store, it's only as powerful as its leadership team. You will end up with poor stores, with miserable employees sitting in a rut. On the other hand you will also find great stores to work at. Complete your tasks, ask for more, be respectful and committed. You can easily rise in the company. I've risen, I've also interviewed and hired many. Most of the time you will not get something for nothing. Nothing is overnight. You will need to put the time in, sacrifice and enjoy. This is a huge retail machine. Jump on or move out of the way.

The company is evolving at a fast pace. New competition in Amazon and other online retailers is forcing Home Depot to change, and adapt.

I have worked for bad managers and great ones. Some people can inspire and others can be quite upsetting. The important thing related to this article to none is, the company puts forth the tools for success. Yes some stores have terrible leadership making these tools all but useless. However, you can always take control of your own path. Granted it will be tougher in a poor managed store. But you can do it, and no it's not always enjoyable. It's not a glamorous fulfilling job for the most part. It's big retail.

The majority of upset former/current employees seem to have a common theme. It seems forgotten that you set your availability, you agreed to a wage, you also agreed to a changing schedule. It's quite simple, dress like you want to be an adult, not just rolled out of bed, have some passion for your work whatever it is, set goals for yourself. Do not wait around for anyone to help you advance! You must seek this out yourself. If you're receiving low review scores, blame yourself, no one else. And move on, adapt. It's easy to blame, procrastinate and hide. It takes courage to accept your faults, put yourself on a stage, and follow through.

You can easily find success at HD. There's no promise you'll find your dream job. Not me, I will never stop advancing but I'm still in school too because I have other passions. But no one will ever say I do poor work or give poor customer service. I set my sights on the next level everyday. You can do it too.

March 27 2013 at 9:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nikki.donovan

Home Depot does not believe in a work life balance, Period! They really need to reevaluate how employees at corporate and in-store are treated. They also need to change the extremely high health insurance premiums. $95 per pay check for an individual and you have to purchase a separate prescription package. Family premiums are upwards of $175 per paycheck.

November 24 2012 at 7:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Miguel Nieves

This article also fails to mention that what the home depot gives you every six months shouldnt be classified as a raise. Its really quite insulting actually. An average annual raise will range between $ .25 and $ .30. And on top of that the manager will look you in the eye and smile as they give you this "raise" Also you'd be hard pressed to be considered for a promotion (in the nyc stores atleast) if you're not from caribean or west indian background. The managers rarely want to be bothered with customer issues. We even have one manager in my current store who has no type of people skills. They promote mostly unqualified supervisors. What person would want to work for a company that allows its supervisors to disappear from their department to go to a back room and sleep for half their shift and spend the other half sitting on their phone. Management being fully aware of the situation and still fails to take action. Incompetency should be the motto for the home depot

November 18 2012 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply