Employees Admit Social Media Is A Waste Of Their Time [Infographic]

social media workplace

A growing number of people are tweeting and using Facebook from the office, but that doesn't mean they think it's a good use of their time. Or company resources.

In fact, according to a new survey, a majority of American workers (51 percent) think using social media at work hurts productivity. The survey of nearly 23,000 workers, by staffing company Kelly Services, shows that even more of them -- 57 percent -- believe that social media can cause problems in the workplace when workers mix personal and professional connections.

Of course, social media use among some workers is more accepted than others. The survey showed a greater percentage of those employed in professional and technical fields (15 percent) felt it was acceptable to use social media for personal reasons while at work, compared to just 10 percent of those outside those professions.

Younger workers, age 19-30, are slightly more accepting of personal social media use on the job than their baby boomer counterparts (14 percent versus 10 percent). Worldwide, 30 percent of workers in Kelly's global survey said it was acceptable to use social media for personal use while at work, suggesting that American workers are slower in accepting the phenomenon.

Other notable results from Kelly's U.S. survey suggest:

• People are becoming casual about sharing online their opinions about colleagues and employers, even though workers have been fired for doing so. About 1 in 7 (14 percent) in the survey said it was acceptable to share opinions about work with friends and colleagues on social media.
  • Employees are disregarding employers' policies around social media, or companies aren't enforcing them. Just 2 percent of employees in Kelly's survey said that they have been told to stop using social media at work, but according to another recent survey, 42 percent of employers prohibit workers from using social media altogether.
  • Job seekers who aren't conversant in social media could soon be at a disadvantage. Nearly 1 in 4 workers (24 percent) say they are more inclined to search for jobs via social media rather than through traditional methods such as newspapers, online job boards or recruitment firms.

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

jay917

People need to actually learn to TALK again.I don't and wont use social site...I'd rather talk on phone

June 17 2012 at 5:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ajt1025

Don't know what this Social Network is all about really never heard about it until I red this article. Don't know why people have to go on line to look for people and spill their hearts out to them or anyone. People have forgotten how to be themsleves. To much TV and people telling us how to eat, dress, and liveA?? I am a adult and can think and choose for myself. Don't need networks to show me the way. This is why our country is so backward and falling further back each day. People can't think for themsleves any longer they need someone to tell them how and what to do and when. Grow up and think for yourslefs get off the computer and the cell phone and do something more productive.

June 17 2012 at 3:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dapperone

Social Media, anywhere, is a waste of time. Sure I was one of the adults who signed up a few years ago. I got in touch with some hard to find old high school acqaintances and old friends and it was fun for a short while. Now it's over. Facebook is on it's way out especially after the IPO fiasco. All those important people who were able to buy into the original IPO are looseing their shirts. I am a bit fearful of my personal information, not that I entered anything important. I'm deleting my Facebook acct. The whole thing confuses me and is hard to manuever. Who in their right mind cars about the games and other nonsense?

June 17 2012 at 3:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dollibug

Funny just how many companies have employees who WASTE SO MUCH OF THE COMPANIES TIME....and then there is the WORKER'S COMPENSATION INSURANCE.....which attorneys are so crooked that they are allowed to WRONGFULLY DENY COVERAGE TO NC EMPLOYEES....and get by with doing so....the NC INDUSTRIAL COMMISSION goes right along with this.....it is interesting that insurance is GOOD ONLY AS LONG AS A PERSON DOES NOT NEED IT.....WASTE A LOT OF MONEY FOR COMPANIES TO EVEN HAVE IT.....

June 17 2012 at 12:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rmholb

Commonsense. Work is work. The rest isn't. Less work, less pay, period.

June 17 2012 at 11:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
buck

"Social media " is a waste of time. Those who chose to participate i it, should at lest do it at home on n their own time--but it's still almost a complete waste.

June 17 2012 at 9:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jona817

Personally...I think social media is a waste of time at home too.

June 14 2012 at 7:13 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mennis0852

Other than meetings, I find that more time is lost to e-mail. I have never used social media at work, since I use my social media to keep up with friends that I do not see all the time.

June 14 2012 at 2:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
troofdetector12

Here's something that wastes time.........bullshit meetings where the boss stands in front of the employees and drones on and on and on and says nothing.

June 14 2012 at 1:50 PM Report abuse +5 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to troofdetector12's comment
dapperone

What is even worse than the normal bullshit meetings are the ones on a regional level where people have to fly and stay in hotels to hear the baloney that could have been faxed.

June 17 2012 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply