Almost 1 Out Of 2 Workers Ready To Quit, Is That Foolish?

Fed up and ready to bolt from your job? You're not alone. A recent online survey shows that nearly half of workers are considering quitting this year.

But given last week's dismal jobs numbers, it's worth asking, "Are they crazy?"

The Research Now poll, which included more than 6,100 adults working part- or full-time, was taken in January and February, when the economy -- and job market -- appeared to be improving.

Further, the respondents who were most likely to say that they planned to look for new jobs were upbeat overall. They identified themselves as "top performers" or "hard workers." (Whether their employers shared that view isn't known.)

So why do they want to leave? The poll, released Wednesday and underwritten by disability-insurance provider Aflac, showed that among those who considered quitting, the following were factors:

• Desired better benefits (about 50 percent).
  • Company wasn't a good place to work (35 percent).
  • Employer didn't put effort into keep workers happy (33 percent).

This poll isn't the only evidence in recent weeks to suggest that workers have had their fill. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported last month that 2.1 million workers quit their jobs in April, following a similar number in March -- the highest single-month totals since the start of the Great Recession.

Workers' decisions to quit are driven in part by increased workloads that resulted from huge layoffs during the economic downturn. Those who were spared the unemployment lines found themselves working harder for the same or less pay, creating resentment among many.

With increasing numbers of employees eyeing the exits, the Aflac survey suggests that employers may have to leave their cost-cutting ways behind to retain their most talented workers.

More From AOL Jobs

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

illusionstool

The American people are tired of being used by employers, part time ,no benefits, demand more and more from under paid employees and the rich sit back and say we need more of that where as just one of the top USA CEO'S NBC makes twenty million a year, probably more than most all the CEO's put together in Europe. Wall Street, IPO's, investors and the cost accounting departments are largely responsible for the super high costs of consumer goods and everything else. They have geared our minimum survival to $30-40.00 per hour, but only want to pay $10-15.00 an hour. Our politicians just play the Lobbyist fiddles while ROME BURNS!

June 16 2012 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
catslegl

I can retire in 5 years. I'm in a very small town and unless you're one of the founding families, you're unimportant. I'm just lucky to be reasonably employed.
I'll hang tight, as best I can.

June 16 2012 at 10:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bdgrizcp

Good for us. I recently gave notice. I've been there for 17 years. Then worked out a deal to stay on part-time for a while. In my case the job was a little too physical for someone my age.

June 12 2012 at 7:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dal

Take heart I got layed off last year but had another job in as little as two months. The thing is with this younger generation who believe going into work in an option for the day. We older employees look better and better to the people doing the hiring out there. We if anything have good work ethics and skill.

June 12 2012 at 6:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dal's comment
bdgrizcp

Hopefully spelling is unimportant to your new job--though I have to admit this tiny lettering is hard to proof read.

June 12 2012 at 7:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

If companies were treating their employees like they should be then the economy would probably be a lot better. Workers who are not properly treated do not work as hard as they could and usually do not do much more than the minimum they need to to keep their jobs, and often not even that much. So just think if half of workers hate their employers how much lost productivity that is. But don't tell any companies that, they are saving money!

June 09 2012 at 5:03 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
cerealouslynow

I would not want to try and find a job in this economy especially if I quit the one I have now. It is tough enough for those laid off due to slow business to find good employment. Starting at the bottom again is not where I want to be. I have read a few articles that many employers are discriminating against laid off workers in favor of those that still have jobs. I would guess if you quit first this would be worse.
Most companies are demanding more from their employees including the bosses and I doubt this is going to reverse any time in the future. I cannot blame those who feel overwhelmed and under appreciated that they want to quit as I have been there many times myself. But with the dismal job market, I would be very careful and thoughtful about quitting before getting another job first.

June 09 2012 at 12:25 AM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
wchris7756

Get your next job before you dump your current job. In this day and age, jobs are as scarce as hens teeth.

June 08 2012 at 11:55 PM Report abuse +3 rate up rate down Reply
Keith

Cut them loose, never stay out of loyality. That kind of ethic went out the window a long time ago. Your company will cut you like you were a unwelcome weed, they don't care about you. Do what is best for yourself, you owe your company nothing.

June 08 2012 at 11:27 PM Report abuse +4 rate up rate down Reply
dvdfrnzwbr

There is a time to seek employment and a time to leave employment.

June 08 2012 at 10:59 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
steelebook

That's "number" of workers, not "amount." Please. . .

June 08 2012 at 10:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply