10 Things Employers Discriminate Against -- But Don't Tell You

employer hiring discriminationThere is one truth every job seeker must understand: Hiring IS discrimination.

With so many potential candidates applying to jobs these days, hiring managers have become very picky. The overwhelming selection forces them to look for ways to screen out applicants and narrow the choices.

Here are 10 things that could cause you to be discriminated against without you even suspecting. Hiring managers will never tell you that:
  1. Your interview attire is a turn-off (too flashy, outdated, sexy, ugly).
  2. Your physical appearance is unattractive (sloppy, severe, depressing, uncomfortable).
  3. Your eye contact is suspect (you look away, blink too much, have shifty eyes).
  4. Your handshake is uncomfortable (too weak, too strong, clammy).
  5. You have word tics (you say ah/um too much, you use the word 'like' excessively).
  6. Your communication style isn't a match (you speak too fast, too slow, too loud, too soft).
  7. You come off wrong (use too many complex words, sound cocky, appear unintelligent, shy, confused, lazy).
  8. Your body language sends the wrong message (giggle/fidget/act awkward/have facial tics/lack expression).
  9. You don't seem really interested in the company and job (lack sincerity/self-confidence/clarity/conviction).
  10. You don't send the right professional vibe (don't "click" with the hiring manager even though they can't figure out why).

If the list above sounds petty and ridiculous that's because it is. And yet it's reality. As mentioned earlier, hiring IS discrimination. So, pounding your fists and saying, "This is who I am, deal with me," isn't going to get you very far.

What can you do to fight back?

Before you go on an interview, research a company extensively to learn as much as you can about the kind of people that best fit its organization. Some things you can do include:
  • Read the bios of the management team.
  • Look for pictures of staff members and pay attention to their style of clothing.
  • Check out the social media profiles of people working there to get a sense of their personal/professional style.
  • Try to set up an informational interview with someone who works there to learn as much as you can about what the company looks for in a candidate.
  • Study the corporate website and pay attention to the design and what they chose to promote about themselves.

• Landing a job means getting the hiring manager to see you as the best match for their team. This means paying attention to the way you are coming across in the interview. The more likable you are, the better your chances of getting an offer. It's up to you to make the hiring manager see you in the right light.

More From CAREEREALISM

Looking for a job? Click here to get started.

Paula

Oh, I forgot. The reason why people over 40 don't get hired is because they come at a higher rate of pay. So Corporations think I can get the same telent for 1/2 the price? Guess what? You get what you pay for, and when your implementation date gets pushed back further and further because You hired cheap, young labor and fired the SME-Subject Matter Experts who at least knew your proprietary systems, they have to learn what the other person already "knew" So, is it really cost effective?
    Hire someone over 40 and I guarantee you'll get results the 1st time without over-spending on long hours. over-time and project delays.

June 15 2012 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
    Paula

Really?
    How about, nobody wants to hire their competition because they're too imcompetent to be in the job they're holding....
    How about being more intelligent than the person interviewing you... But they need your help.
    Even in my last job, while my boss needed my help, they kept limited communication - keeping me out of the loop, but only including me when it was critical. Why? Because they don't want to loose their job if the subordinate knows more than them, and, if the upper boss finds out, they'll loose their job!

We live in a world of job uncertainity, and this is why things can't get done correctly because people are hiring people they can be "friends" with, not people who are truly qualified!
    Its not about whether you like me, its about whether I can communicate effectively enough to perform the job based upon the contents of my resume. So I've been doing this right for 20 years, now, in the last five, I'm suddendly doing something wrong? I don't think so.
    I get the "I'm over-qualfiied" as the excuse - but you saw my resume before you interviewed me. Yet, on the news just last week, they say they're aren't "Enough Qualified" people? That's B.S.

A word to Senior Regional Managers: You need to take more initiative to interview people, rather than letting the people who come to you to request additional resources for help! They are not going to hire someone qualified, just someone who can befriend them who's eager to do the job, but still lack the core skills to get the job done correctly - and you're still trying to figure out why your implementation date keeps getting pushed back??? One Word: Ignorance!

June 15 2012 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
    madrachimov

You forgot to include "age above 40" without saying so. I just had an interview at a major corporation. I was dressed appropriately, had my t's crossed, etc. The manager didn't even look me in the eyes. Why is the 'blame" always going on the candidate? Of course, being over 40 you are not 'eye candy' for them.
    Most every 'office' personnel was in their 20s! I would surmise that was the reason; without saying so.

June 15 2012 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
    AFRetE6

Discrimination is discrimination and is unlawful in this country. They also discriminate against military. Why do you not laugh or too serious is because the person interview was never in the military. This is why this country is where it is no one is told to go to the Military any more which would improve their decision making and the way they see things. To many people think that work is an extended playground and every one is their friend or buddy. Work is work do your job. Not here to be your best pal but to do my work. So if you are the hiring manager then I understand now why your twinge when you interview military personnel. It is your military personnel that give you freedom and keep you free. Without them you end up with a nation that you have now. Those who have jobs get taxed those who don't get paid not to work. You all need to make up your mind keep people out of work and you will suffer a lot. You will work long hours and then tend to be worried if you will loose your job if you didn't. It is time to take a look at your politicians are they working for you or for business if it is business as it is now business can't vote you in and think if they can there are still alot of veterans out there and they also vote. I look at it this way if your in your out. If I have to use the web to get in a person who will work for veterans then I will.

June 15 2012 at 9:11 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
    gelleybean

I am a Registered Nurse here in California. I worked in another field of nursing for many years prior to obtaining my R.N. license. So at an "older" age after graduating I went on many many interviews. What I found to be the standard protocol for any type of nursing interview irregardless of the area of nursing of the job being interviewed for ( psych.....med surg---outpatient....surgery...etc.) was at least two interviewers ( but usually a panel ) and usually all nurses with varying experience but often people from other disciplines too.... administrators etc. There was always a standard "formal" comprehensive list of specific questions related to basic nursing. And what I also found was that the people interviewing were also trying to gauge how you conducted yourself: as in are you relaxed....confident ...at ease....sense of humor....people skills....critical thinking skills. I learned when I interviewed that if the interview was not conducted by an actual nurse or any members of the nursing staff then I was not interested in working there. I sat through a few interviews with pompous administrators (non-nurses) whom were obviously "micro-managers" with zero clue regarding nursing skills. My point is that the person who wrote this article is expressing his opinion. It is doubtful he has the resources to conduct a proper study based on valid statistical data that reflects anything near realistic results. All you can do is be prepared for the interview process...be neat clean ....on time and if you do not get the offer at least you have gained experience in doing interviews.

June 10 2012 at 2:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
    Sylvia Tucker

How would you detect age discrimination when you know that is what is really happening?These people put in charge of hiring are all trained on how to get around hiring older workers without getting caught up in their lies to you.They go through the whole interview as if they are really interested in you then you never hear from any of them again.You can't prove a thing and they know that . This has happened to me time and time again where I am well qualified for the position I'm called in for an interview for then after them I'm an older person they go on through their routine then they send you on your way like they really want you.When you follow up with them like they tell you to do they then start the shunning and won't take any calls from you.I have an excellant work history,no criminal history of any kind and all good references but my references have all told me no one has ever called on any of the jobs I have interviewed for so what would you think??

June 10 2012 at 2:25 PM Report abuse +2 rate up rate down Reply
    1 reply to Sylvia Tucker's comment
    lisawehlerstudio

Sylvia, yes yes yes there is age discrimination. Blame insurance companies, they charge more liability for employers who hire over certain ages, and you are most likely going to use health insurance more if you are over 50, so that makes everyone in the company (if it is a smaller co.) pay more for thiers. So here is a message for all you young people work harder, be smarter than all of them and find how to make yourself necessary to your company. The days of just puttin' in your time 9-5 and crusin' along waitin' for that Friday pay check are OVER. No longer will just not having a criminal history get you in! Many people over 55 have had a free ride and hopefully put money away when you could get 12% back on investments, stop crying you had your day, if you did not that's your own fault.

June 10 2012 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
    rljazzy47

the irony is
    highstrung bosses who only care about themselves and money are superficial and will want to hire only someone they can control and mistreat
    Someone intelligent enough to be themselves in life who may have little money or no job and refuses to play thier game won't be hired-
    yet who wants to work for a person/company like that anyways...UNTIL people who are narcistic and arrogant stop being hired to be in charge-the great people who have brains and are actually kind will be the underdogs - vent over.lol

June 10 2012 at 12:39 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
    jjbwnyc

i looooooooooooooooooooove interviews! they are a great deal of fun...i know in two seconds if this is going to work for me or the other person. planning ahead is great but its similar to planning ahead for a road trip.

June 10 2012 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
    ZoeFaerie

So looking at this, an applicant should "dumb down" his or her vocabulary?

June 10 2012 at 12:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
    2 replies to ZoeFaerie's comment
    dragondancer1814

Forget that racket-I've NEVER "dumbed down" for anyone in my life! And if anyone complains that they can't understand the words in my vocabulary, I have one word of advice that I have no qualms about giving to that person or people: LEARN!

June 10 2012 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
    Paula

Really? Well here's my problem. I'm Africian American - so they already think I'm dumb, so I have to dismiss the stereotype that I'm some dummy that sole someone elses' resume to get the interview. I've been on more than 1000+ Interviews throughout my career and have even given other people advice, written professional resumes and helped others get a job.
    The reason why I'm unemployed? First I have to deal with the dismissive attitude of subliminal descrimination because they didn't expect my resume to belong to a black person. So after I prove that I know everything on that piece of paper, I get the "i'm over-qualified" But my resume is perfect for the job so how can this be? I've interviewed for lesser jobs, and then I'm told I'm not going to be happy here.
    Then there was the one where they couldn't think of a reason to discount me, so they told the agency, "We really like her skills, we may want to use her for "another" position, but, if she gets another job offer, take the "other" job..." What kind of B.S. is that? Because they don't know what the hell they're doing period! For me, I'm going to become a writer because I'm sick of going on interviews that I qualify perfectly for, and leaving knowing that they didn't hire me because "they don't have to" because I'm black - if for no other reason, knowing if I were white, I would stand a much better chance with my skills and experience I have to offer.

June 15 2012 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
    2 replies to Paula's comment
    draeville

Sounds like you're not getting hired because you have a gross sense of self-entitlement, not because you're black.

June 17 2012 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
    H82LNU

Yes, it has to be that your black, not that you will bs race card everything to twist it.
    Oh is the fact that I'm white mean I get to go to better schools then other races? No.
    Is the grade curved for me just so I can get in to an accredited school? No.
    Do I get every hand out and scholarship under the sun with little to no effort? No.

So after I get skipped over and receive less then adequate education opportunities, I'm simply more desirable to higher then you because I'm white. No.

Cause and effect. Do the crime, do the time... OH SHIIIIT, LAWS B RAYSIS N SHIIIIIIIIT.

Once you work past that sample of blinding ignorance on EVERY PERSONS part, you may have a much better life.

August 03 2014 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
    francycmt

to George...you are total bs! How dare you slander us minorities! Just who do you think you are?!

June 10 2012 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply