With so many potential candidates applying to jobs these days, hiring managers have become very picky. The overwhelming selection forces them to look for ways to screen out applicants and narrow the choices.
Here are 10 things that could cause you to be discriminated against without you even suspecting. Hiring managers will never tell you that:
- Your interview attire is a turn-off (too flashy, outdated, sexy, ugly).
- Your physical appearance is unattractive (sloppy, severe, depressing, uncomfortable).
- Your eye contact is suspect (you look away, blink too much, have shifty eyes).
- Your handshake is uncomfortable (too weak, too strong, clammy).
- You have word tics (you say ah/um too much, you use the word 'like' excessively).
- Your communication style isn't a match (you speak too fast, too slow, too loud, too soft).
- You come off wrong (use too many complex words, sound cocky, appear unintelligent, shy, confused, lazy).
- Your body language sends the wrong message (giggle/fidget/act awkward/have facial tics/lack expression).
- You don't seem really interested in the company and job (lack sincerity/self-confidence/clarity/conviction).
- You don't send the right professional vibe (don't "click" with the hiring manager even though they can't figure out why).
If the list above sounds petty and ridiculous that's because it is. And yet it's reality. As mentioned earlier, hiring IS discrimination. So, pounding your fists and saying, "This is who I am, deal with me," isn't going to get you very far.
What can you do to fight back?
Before you go on an interview, research a company extensively to learn as much as you can about the kind of people that best fit its organization. Some things you can do include:
Landing a job means getting the hiring manager to see you as the best match for their team. This means paying attention to the way you are coming across in the interview. The more likable you are, the better your chances of getting an offer. It's up to you to make the hiring manager see you in the right light.
Don't Miss: Companies Hiring Now
More From CAREEREALISM
- Appearances Matter In Your Job Search
- Negotiate A Great Salary... Even In A Recession
- Why You Must Dream Big If You Want A Career You Love
Looking for a job? Click here to get started.