Secretary Accused Of Stealing More Than $750,000 To Fund Shopping Spree
Helen Maria Hart, 45, was an employee for PDP Green Consulting Ltd., based in the English town of Truro. And she is alleged to have racked up quite the list of pricey items, ranging from a Mercedes to a ride on a private jet.
She appeared on Thursday at Truro Magistrates' Court on 25 counts of fraud and other related charges.
Neither the prosecution nor defense released a statement to the media. And the local press reports did not say how her alleged abuses were discovered, but among the items in question are:
1. 4,985 pounds (about $7,710) for 48 bottles of wine.
2. 46,500 pounds (about $71,960) to purchase a Mercedes.
3. 5,990 pounds (about $9,280) to a private jet charter company for an Exeter-to-Paris flight.
She's also accused of stealing 391,353 pounds (about $655,550) in cash from 2005 to May of last year.
Hart was released on bail Thursday, and will next appear before the court July 6.
Don't Miss: Companies Hiring Now
More From AOL Jobs
- Bosses Far Less Essential Than Secretaries Survey Says
- Chicago Secretary Fired For Working During Lunch Wins Court Battle
- N.Y. Worker Claims She Was Fired After Donating Kidney For Boss
Looking for a job? Click here to get started.
Dan Fastenberg was most recently a reporter with TIME Magazine. Previously, he was a writer for the Thomson Reuters news service's Latin America desk. He was also a reporter and associate editor for the Buenos Aires Herald while living in South America.
Follow Dan on Twitter. Email Dan at firstname.lastname@example.org. Add Dan to your Google+ circles.