Florida Unemployment Guide

If you've recently lost your job in Florida, you may be eligible for Florida Unemployment Insurance benefits. This is a guide to filing your claim for Florida unemployment benefits. Since each situation may have its own unique circumstances, make sure you check with the contact numbers and websites listed below to make sure you get the maximum benefits you can claim.

Search Job Openings

In Partnership With
Filing for Unemployment:

Unemployed Florida workers can file a claim for unemployment benefits online, on the telephone, or via US Mail.

To determine if you are eligible for Florida unemployment benefits check the Frequently Asked Questions document.

File your claim right away after you've stopped working – don't delay. Your claim starts the beginning of the week you file, based on the date you filed online or called. Benefits are not retroactive, so if you delay you may lose benefits.

Filing Your Weekly Claim:

Florida unemployment benefits will range from $32 to $275 per week, based on your wages over the past 18 months. Federal Additional Compensation (FAC) currently adds an additional $25 per week to your benefit payments.

Beware of the Waiting Week. Your first week of benefits is called a "waiting week" – this means you will not be paid benefits during your first week of eligibility, but you must still file a claim to get credit for waiting.

After your initial filing the Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation will mail you a Wage Transcript and Determination, listing the weekly and total benefits you qualify for. Divide the weekly benefits by the total benefits number to get the total number of weeks of unemployment benefits you are eligible for.

You can file your weekly benefits form by "claiming your week" online or over the telephone.

1. Online - Florida unemployed workers can apply online at https://www2.myflorida.com/flccid/
  2. Telephone - Florida unemployed workers can apply by calling 800-204-2418
The hours for both the online and 800 number weekly claim filing systems are: Monday – Friday 7:00am to 7:00pm.

Payments can be issued by direct deposit to your bank account or by mailing a paper check to you. Your initial payment will take 7 to 10 business days, and will be mailed in the form of a paper check. Florida unemployed workers can register for direct deposit payments online or at 800-204-2418, which will enable payments to reach you more quickly.

Payments issued during the initial 7 to 10 business day verification process will be mailed to in the form of a paper check.

-- Find jobs in Florida

Unemployment Benefits:

Career services and training is available through the Florida Workforce Services website and local Florida One Stop Career Centers.

Health Insurance benefits may be available to you through the Health Coverage Tax Credit - Check www.irs.gov for details.

Filing for extensions:

If your benefits are exhausted, the Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation sets up an emergency benefit claim and a letter describing extended benefits will be sent to you. If you haven't received an Emergency Benefit letter within 7 days after your regular unemployment benefits have been fully paid, call 800-204-2418, choose language, and press 0 for assistance.

Ending Unemployment:

If you worked a partial week, answer yes to "Did your work or have any earnings?", and report gross earnings for that week. If your new job started on a Monday, just stop claiming weekly benefits.

FAQ:

Make sure you file weekly claims before their due dates to avoid delay or loss of benefits. Occasionally, the internet and telephone system has some busy times. If you encounter problems claiming benefits, try at a different time. See the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity's frequently asked question list for more helpful information.

If you have questions or problems, call 800-204-2418, choose language, and press 0 for assistance.

-- Find jobs in Florida

Thomas

you can file your unemployment claim here: https://www2.myflorida.com/flccid/

For those of you that are still having trouble finding the site

February 04 2013 at 2:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
natalegt

Dear Aol,

I believe you need to update you records. As of June 2011, Floridas new Governer made it NO LONGER able to apply for benefits via the telephone,. ONLY via internet can you apply.
ALSO, NO LONGER will they mail you your check! It must be directly deposited into an account, or they made debit cards, for those that want to get their benefits loaded on that each month!
If you do not enter via the internet that you looked for a minimum of 5 jobs they will DENY or DELAY your benefits.
It has been a total catastrophy trying to keep up with these rulings the Governor put into affect; and I pity those whom have never used a computor before. Or those whom did not UNDERSTAND who the NEW format was introduced poorly....they intern not getting their benefits on time. ALL to supposedly save $4.4 million over the next couple of years. I could go on, but I save it for another day.
Please update your page with the correct information.
Thanks.

December 22 2011 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
whiteover

UR ONLINE SYTEMS SUCK....

November 28 2011 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ronald W Woodhouse

Why can't I find out what my alleged PIN number is. I have been through all the fluidnow sites, 3 hours I've spent getting nothing. I think the system is rigged to prevent anybody from getting unemployment compensation.

November 15 2011 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis Barnes

I have tried for 2 months to get in touch with unemployment no help the lady said she would call me back to file my weeks WELL NO PHONE CALL YET i have been on the phone every day for 2 monts same old tthing they never help you how are you to get unemployment if they never anwer the phone or return your phone call i like ever one eles this is BS help me understand this.

October 24 2011 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Travis Barnes's comment
natalegt

Hey there, Im interested to know if you got ever got through with anyone. How has your experience been with the new guidelines.. I have had some major issues, which were finally addressed.
Ridiculous.
Please, I would love to know. Contact me @ gth777 on twitter or gtn_777@yahoo.com

December 22 2011 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nicole

I'M ON THE SAME PROBLEMS AS EVERYONE ELSE THIS "PHONE NUMBER" IS THE BIGGEST JOKE IVE EVER DELET WITH IN MY LIFE THEY SAY THAT UR INTITTLED TO THE MONEY YET THE WEB SITE AND THE NUMBERS R A JOKE IF ANYONE CAN TELL ME THE WAY TO GET INTO THERE WH=ITH OUT BEING CUT OFF PLEASE LET ME KNOW THIS IS B-S THEY WOULD RATHER HELP PEOPLE IN OTHER COUNTRYS THAN KEEPING HARD WORKING AMERCIANS FOR GOING W. OUT FOOD, AN HOUSE, POWER TO RUN THE HOME HEAT IT AND EVERYTING THAY GOES ALONG WITH IT OUR KIDS SUFFER THE MOST,,,COME ON THIS IS AMERCIA RIGHT??????

September 14 2011 at 10:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
captjmcc

I have spent numerous hrs online & on the phone trying to findout information on a claim I made 2 weeks ago. I have never filed for unemployment before & I now understand the flustration that is being sown into the fabric of our society. On the phone it tells me they are to busy to answer my call & I've started at 08:00am every morning. Or it tells me my SS# doesnt exist or my pin is incorrect. Online it only wants me to file a new claim, where is the original claim. I've searched for an adress to go to an unemployment office in person & that seems to be unavailable as well. Tgis system is severly flawed. I'm a Sea Captain & have spent my life at sea & If I ran my ship the way this particular Gov Agency is run I'd be sleeping in Davy Jones Locker now. This is an unbelievably pathetic excuse for help in a time of need

September 07 2011 at 10:42 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to captjmcc's comment
natalegt

WOW! I just found all these issues everyone posted about the UC benefits. Wish I found this in June....anyway, I too went thru hell trying to figure out the new guidlines. It was introduced so poorly. Sent an email straight to the governors office. Hope you got everthing worked out.
A sea captain, interested to know how you adapted to the new ways we were limited to filing; ie. no longer via the telephone. Love to hear your story @gtn777 twitter or gtn_777yahoo.com.

December 22 2011 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Travis Barnes

I was fouce to retried from a job that i was making 16.85 ahour qnd now iam part time making 7.31 a hour plus taking care of my elderly mother and son how are to live on this. every time i get on the cumpumter it does not tell me to claim my weeks,Why does this have to be so hard for people who have work all there life and go threw the hazzle.

September 05 2011 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sbk fl

why is this so hard to do?
the government is to HELP the people. Not make them feel powerless. no wonder we are so lost.

September 02 2011 at 12:29 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to sbk fl's comment
natalegt

I have a twitter account I started just fof this reason. I went thru hell with the new guindlines in June. I would love to hear your story. Are you still recieving benefits. @gtn777 Twitter or gtn_777@yahoo.com.

December 22 2011 at 1:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
marlene

i agree this system sucks i have been on for over 1 hr and still cant find where to file claims i would suggest that everyone write of call you local gov. and complain. looks like this was done for a purpose and not for our benefit. marlene in florida

August 29 2011 at 10:38 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to marlene's comment
natalegt

Hey hey... gtn_777@yahoo.com. I too went through alot of unneeded stress. Would love to hear your story. Are you still collecting. Any other issues... Im on twitter, and called out to all Floridians who had issues with the new guidelines beginning in June. @gtn777 Hope to hear from you.

December 22 2011 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply

Search Jobs

In Partnership With
Keywords:
Location:

July 20 - July 27

Looking for work? See what companies added new openings this week.

×

Check out our new Map Search

Locate your next job using the new AOL Jobs Map Search!

Pin down your next great opportunity today.